Strollers/high chairs/car seats for the AB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
A child car seat with 5 point harness and front crash bar (the movable arm thingy) would require extra effort for an adult. The racing seats would be the closest match for a normal car. With a minivan or standard van, either a special seat or wheel chair could be used if one had the funds. It would be awesome to have a custom chair built to mimic a toddler seat installed in a vehicle for long road trips. Add in an insert for keeping the head from tilting like infants have and I might actually be able to sleep in a moving vehicle.

As for the stroller, special needs wheel chairs are the closest thing for larger adults. Some of them have trays.

High chairs would be the easiest to duplicate. One could either make one or add a tray and foot rest to an already tall metal chair.

Perhaps when I grow up, I should manufacture "special needs" chairs, wheelchairs, and car seats. The car seats could have custom brackets for easy installation into vans and SUVs.

I wonder if hydraulic disc brakes would be a strong selling point on a wheelchair?

CodyBaby

Preschooler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I have used an outdoor fabric suppliers to make some age play restraints etc - here is one item from their online catalogue which enables an authentic five point harness to be made up from nylon or polyester webbing (which this firm also supplies in various sizes and styles)
http://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_product_info.php?id=BU5

That's awesome, but would love a steel upgrade on this and it would be much more fun, I know plastic is really authentic for this, but I think it would break quite easy if an adult started a tantrum like kids do sometimes when they are just tired and don't want to be in their stroller/high chair, we can be careful not to break it but at same time, I know with the correct type of nylon used that cute plastic buckle would be the only thing not adult proof...

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
As an AB type person, I'm fortunate to have a small enough build and light enough weight to fit in most baby strollers and high chairs comfortably, especially the older models when it comes to high chairs. Riding around in one of the baby strollers for any length of time would be a bit uncomfortable for my legs but just sitting in one while stationary is comfy for me. Even though I am still over the weight limit of baby strollers, I have yet to break or even over stress one from sitting in it.

~Pramrider

CodyBaby

Preschooler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
As an AB type person, I'm fortunate to have a small enough build and light enough weight to fit in most baby strollers and high chairs comfortably, especially the older models when it comes to high chairs. Riding around in one of the baby strollers for any length of time would be a bit uncomfortable for my legs but just sitting in one while stationary is comfy for me. Even though I am still over the weight limit of baby strollers, I have yet to break or even over stress one from sitting in it.

~Pramrider

Its true that with Strollers especially in USA and Canada, they have to test it with at least twice the maximum capacity indicated on them, but some well known companies do their test with more than that, I think Graco is one of them, Fisher Price is also overdoing it (their products are indestructible) but I'm not sure if they still make strollers now...

The reason why they do this is to make sure their products can be abused and not break, because anyone can sue anyone for anything in USA, you don't love your neighbors you can sue them and make them pack their things up, a coffee was too hot at McDonalds and burned you, you could sue them in the past, now all the restaurants like that have a mention on the cup that the contain is hot and to be careful because of this... Same thing does apply to strollers, I wouldn't be surprised if someone sued a company because they tried to put their 9-10 yrs old fat kid in the stroller and it broke down on them...

Littleraindrop

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Luckily I am small enough to fit in the bigger pushchairs but I am not open enough to be doing it :(
But when I had an injury I had to have a wheel chair which I liked as it was similar :)
As for car seats not tried those but you could use a booster seat or cushions if you're small.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
Yes, I've talked to people involved in the baby stroller industry and they've told me the published weight limits all have to do with how much liability for their products the company is willing to assume - the higher the weight limit the more liability they have to pass on to the consumer in the way of cost. I know earlier in the 2000s, Graco strollers were notorious for having wheels break with normal weight riders who were under the published weight limits. I'd read lots of complaints about Graco strollers breaking from moms in stroller forums, and was surprised they were that poorly constructed considering it was a child who could get injured from the stroller failing. Maybe they've listened to their customers and have done a better job of quality in stroller construction during the last 10 years. My favorite more recently made strollers and prams are the ones produced in Europe by makers such as Silver Cross, Emmaljunga, Inglesina, Peg perego, and Simo. Second to them are the older US-made strollers such as from Welsh, Hedstrom, Peterson, Strolee, etc.

~Pramrider

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
My adult baby girl is rather thin, so she fit nicely into a booster seat for the car. but i still dream of owning an adult car seat for her. To me that would really complete the fantasy.

Straycatz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Very interesting discussion! I enjoy hearing what other people have done and how people have made a baby stroller work for them. I guess if there is a will there is a way. I plan on checking out garage sales/resale stores more in the coming months to see what I can find. This would be mostly used stationary for me, something to sit in and feel little and babied. I agree, a car seat would really help complete the fantasy. I did find an old metal high chair that I actually fit into, albeit not very comfortably for long.

ElectricalEngineer

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
That's awesome, but would love a steel upgrade on this and it would be much more fun, I know plastic is really authentic for this, but I think it would break quite easy if an adult started a tantrum like kids do sometimes when they are just tired and don't want to be in their stroller/high chair, we can be careful not to break it but at same time, I know with the correct type of nylon used that cute plastic buckle would be the only thing not adult proof...

Interesting. Modifying a pushchair to withstand a full on adult tantrum does not sound a trivial matter. Brett's Convaid would probably probably fare better than my MacLaren. The prototype footrest extsneions would probably break quite easily.

For me though it works just fine as somewhere to snuggle down and feel very safe, looked after etc (and makes for some nice photos to take with the batphone and send to "Daddy"

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Interesting. Modifying a pushchair to withstand a full on adult tantrum does not sound a trivial matter. Brett's Convaid would probably probably fare better than my MacLaren. The prototype footrest extsneions would probably break quite easily.

For me though it works just fine as somewhere to snuggle down and feel very safe, looked after etc (and makes for some nice photos to take with the batphone and send to "Daddy"

Well,

I'll say I've never had a tantrum in my chair...although I know it wouldn't bother it in the slightest...

But, I will say that if my leg/foot that's junk isn't acting very well the foot rest straps work well...sometimes if I've been walking or standing too much it will spasm and it takes all my weight sometime more just too get it stretched out...

Anyhow, I didn't always bother with the foot straps, but I do now...they seem to keep my foot/leg from getting as bad...like keeping it from getting fully cramped up to begin with...

Now, I have tried to tip the chair over, and without something to grab onto its not possible for me!

Haven't used it in about a couple months...also haven't went anywhere really either...it's too damn cold!!!

Straycatz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
No tantrums here either. I'm generally a well-behaved little boy. It would take some strong mods to make pretty much any chair withstand a full-blown adult tantrum, no doubt. Waaay too cold here also to be outside like that.

CodyBaby

Preschooler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I know a little bit off topic here but :

Happy to know I'm not alone with a really cold winter that doesn't want to give up for an early spring this year, I think its the coldest winter I've experienced since I was 7-8 yrs old seriously...

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
No tantrums here either. I'm generally a well-behaved little boy. It would take some strong mods to make pretty much any chair withstand a full-blown adult tantrum, no doubt. Waaay too cold here also to be outside like that.

Well,

You'd be surprised at how strong they are...never a tantrum...but I've been stuck in mine and wanted out...I'm a fairly strong person...and I don't think I'd be able to break anything...I know with the seatbelt on its impossible to get out of...

As for the other things...I've had a high chair on the past...not a huge thing for me...

I've had a modified/race car seat way back as well...that's fun!...especially she put it in backwards in the van...so no seeing where your going or what's coming up...I was very scarred the first few times...but, got used to it...I'll say on thing, I'm glad I was always belted in...you really end up needing them as there isn't any way to anticipate what's coming...that was tough for me...I'd be so tense that I'd be out of energy physically after a cat ride...bit once I just gave in, relaxed, it was awesome! In fact about the only time I've ever slept in a vehicle...

FireFanatic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Don't know if or when I would be able to and obviously much more research is needed on my part but I always thought it would neat and probably as close to a car seat as my big butt could get would be to get a racing seat and put it in the back of my van with a 5 point harness for it. That looks and I imagine would feel very much like a car seat to me.

ElectricalEngineer

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
It has quite some potential, once practical safety considerations are dealt with - escape in event of a crash, any additional protection in the event of a rollover as once held securely by a four or five point harness it is not easy to duck or bend to get one's head clear of the descending (or is that ascending) roof.

If it is not possibl;e to see where one is going (see Brett's post about a rear facing such seat in a van) then the play possibilities become interesting, but it must be born in mind are going into the reals of edge play.

- - - Updated - - -

With the aid of some dark glasses ( and I mean very dark, very little light getting through) one coulod make a similar head trip when taking (or being taken) for a pushchair outing.

Now the advantage with using special needs kit, (for example Bretts CX 18 or my modified Maclaren Major) is that its special needs and assistive ancestry allows a plausible over story - the occupant is recoving /convalescing or whatedver and in need of a bit of extra support or whatever. The use of dark glasses can be explained as helping the convalescing patient to relax or to rest. They also make the patient harder to recognise. If plotting such an outing I would also make the cover story as an outing to a touristic type locations away from the home townof the two players. Here in the UK a very good ploy would be "A visit to London" (or other big city) where people guard their limitted personal space and don't really bat an eylid at anything. Also the busses have nearly all been accessible for quite a few years and lifts and step free access is slowly spreading throughout the London Underground.

Having a good cover story prepared may mean one never actually have to use it.

Last edited:

jstevens

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
If you're small enough (Pramrider-sized) then all three of the items being discussed can work with the standard baby-sized ones.

I'm 5'1" / 120 lbs. I don't push the ABDL thing (not even really sure it's me... I like these things, strollers carriers trailers jumpers etc... but not diapers... so I guess maybe I'm AB but not DL? Blah. Classifications suck.) but I am the smallest member of my social group so when I drop myself in a toddler toy it's just me "goofing off" and most of my friends are happy to oblige (and laugh, but not 'at' me in a negative sense).

Conveniently, one of my friends figured out that pushing an oversized baby around in a stroller was good exercise.

Anyway, I rode about 5 miles a day for an entire summer in a "Bell Scout" jogging stroller. Its official "limit" is 50lbs. I've also pushed my 140lb friend in it. I have more recently acquired a BOB Revolution SE stroller, which is a different style - slightly more comfortable seat, swivel front wheel - and done about 10 miles in that (total). Neither has exhibited any structural problems - and my friends aren't gentle. I've been jumped and launched off curbs. So far the only failure is that the Scout's seat is held to the frame with "snaps" that exert all of the force directly against a very small section of fabric, and one side ripped through. I solved this by sliding a thin metal bar (it's actually a framing nail) into the seam to spread the force. I did this on both sides. Absolutely zero problems since. The BOB has had zero problems thus far, and the suspension even seems to work well for my weight. My 170lb roommate fell asleep in the BOB once.

As I have no transportation of my own, coworkers often drive me to and from my office. One (who is also a friend) has a car seat. It is rated 40lbs rear-facing, 65lbs front-facing-with-harness, 100lbs 'booster' (using the vehicle seat belt). One of the times she was willing to pick me up but had a car full, and suggested if I wanted to make the effort to uninstall the carseat I could. I just sat in it instead. Everyone in the car chuckled. She asked if I was comfortable and I said yes - now she has no hesitation to show up with a car full, just assuming I'll use the booster.

I also have one at my house which I just use as a chair sometimes.

I'm not much into high chairs, and I don't have any. I can fit in some of them, however.

CodyBaby

Preschooler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
If you're small enough (Pramrider-sized) then all three of the items being discussed can work with the standard baby-sized ones.

I'm 5'1" / 120 lbs. I don't push the ABDL thing (not even really sure it's me... I like these things, strollers carriers trailers jumpers etc... but not diapers... so I guess maybe I'm AB but not DL? Blah. Classifications suck.) but I am the smallest member of my social group so when I drop myself in a toddler toy it's just me "goofing off" and most of my friends are happy to oblige (and laugh, but not 'at' me in a negative sense).

Conveniently, one of my friends figured out that pushing an oversized baby around in a stroller was good exercise.

Anyway, I rode about 5 miles a day for an entire summer in a "Bell Scout" jogging stroller. Its official "limit" is 50lbs. I've also pushed my 140lb friend in it. I have more recently acquired a BOB Revolution SE stroller, which is a different style - slightly more comfortable seat, swivel front wheel - and done about 10 miles in that (total). Neither has exhibited any structural problems - and my friends aren't gentle. I've been jumped and launched off curbs. So far the only failure is that the Scout's seat is held to the frame with "snaps" that exert all of the force directly against a very small section of fabric, and one side ripped through. I solved this by sliding a thin metal bar (it's actually a framing nail) into the seam to spread the force. I did this on both sides. Absolutely zero problems since. The BOB has had zero problems thus far, and the suspension even seems to work well for my weight. My 170lb roommate fell asleep in the BOB once.

As I have no transportation of my own, coworkers often drive me to and from my office. One (who is also a friend) has a car seat. It is rated 40lbs rear-facing, 65lbs front-facing-with-harness, 100lbs 'booster' (using the vehicle seat belt). One of the times she was willing to pick me up but had a car full, and suggested if I wanted to make the effort to uninstall the carseat I could. I just sat in it instead. Everyone in the car chuckled. She asked if I was comfortable and I said yes - now she has no hesitation to show up with a car full, just assuming I'll use the booster.

I also have one at my house which I just use as a chair sometimes.

I'm not much into high chairs, and I don't have any. I can fit in some of them, however.

You're extremely lucky to be able to fit in regular baby/toddler sized stuff, wish I could do it still, maybe I could fit in a regular booster seat if I modified it somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.