Stretchy sides?

BenNevis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
It seems like one of the big things missing in adult nappies compared to baby nappies is the use of stretchy sides.

I'm aware that Bambino have them (unfortunately not easily available in the UK), but on a whim as I'd run out of nappies, I just picked up some StayDry Slips from Boots. These are much cheaper than the premium ABDL nappies out there and as for the quality, I haven't properly tried them yet, but I don't think they'd win any awards. But I was surprised to notice they had stretchy sides and that helped for a close and comfortable fit. Are there any other nappies that people know of that have stretchy sides and is it a feature that people generally like to see?

Reactions: littledreamers333, Prillprillprill, ItsTimmyTime and 1 other person
Walmart carries Assurance brand with stretchy sides. I believe Tena has a flex or stretch with stretchy sides.
I'm one of those guys that doesn't care for the stretchy sides because they tend to stretch out too much during wear and use. Then there's the hit and miss of the fit. Sm/med fit but are too small on the rise and the lg/xl fit but tend to sag too much requiring frequent refastening to the point where the tapes are touching/overlapping each other on the front of the diaper. I get the same results with cloth backed diapers if the wings are all cloth with no reinforcement.

Reactions: BenNevis and PupSpaz
Based on my past experience with stretchy sides diapers, they leak out that same stretchy material (sleeping or just unlucky) and have to be attached uncomfortably tightly just to prevent it from sliding down when moderately full. The stretchy sides will also permanently loosen / stretch more as you wear them.

They may work fine as a lower absorbancy product or for daily wear when your unlikely to have wetness make it to the wings area.

This puppy don't recommend or prefer them, but like all things they may be a good fit for others.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenNevis
An ABU rep came along a little while ago to talk about the engineering issues with creating an ABDL Diaper with stretchy sides. It’s pretty difficult to have them remain easily stretchy for changes and study enough to hold up heavy diapers. You need it to be soft comfortable and not too tight when changing, and during general wear. But then have them be strong enough to hold up a full diaper. Sadly a balance between the 2 doesn’t really exist without going to far into either end, and loosing the benefits of the other side. So we may never really see a diaper with wings that are completely made out of stretchy material.

If anything people might get closer to what that bambino hybrid diaper had. Not exactly the same, but might be the best bet there.

Reactions: TigerDL and BenNevis
After trying them out, I can really see the drawbacks. The fit was very comfortable given the fact the sides were the perfect length. But everyone here is correct, they simply weren't sturdy enough to support it once it was wet.

Cottontail said:
Check out this thread and watch the demo video also. Pretty darned close to Pampers. I’m encouraged. I bet we’ll see some ABDL diapers with this construction soon. Clearly the machinery and materials exist.

https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/dailee-slip-premium.171780/#post-2226373
Interesting stuff. I can certainly see it being on the horizon if there are products with this type of construction coming onto the market. Always being used to non stretchy sides in most ABDL nappies, I never appeciated the balance that had to be struck between stretch and strength was so difficult to get right.

Reactions: TigerDL and Cottontail
BenNevis said:
Interesting stuff. I can certainly see it being on the horizon if there are products with this type of construction coming onto the market. Always being used to non stretchy sides in most ABDL nappies, I never appeciated the balance that had to be struck between stretch and strength was so difficult to get right.
I liked the Bambino Magnifico sides and found them up to the task of supporting a full diaper, however the tapered shape of the tabs made them prone to unsticking at the edges, and that always worried me. (Although they never did pop loose.) I like the look of those Dailee sides and tabs though. Still arguing with myself over whether to import some of those to play with.

I would like to try better diapers with stretchy sides

Missing implies we should have them, but don't. I disagree. We do have them as an option, but they suck. I like that the sides of most adult diapers don't stretch because it means you can get them on nice and tight without worry that they will stretch out and not fit as securely.

Seems like most low and medium level brands do offer a stretchy version, but those brands also offer non-stretchy. Premium diapers tend to only come in non-stretchy. There is good reason, the stretchy sides just don't add much value to adult products, and it can take away from their effectiveness.

Adults are shaped and scale differently than babies, which means the benefits of stretchy sides don't work the same for our bodies as they do for infants and toddlers. The same goes for 1 tape per side vs 2 tapes. They do sell single tapes adult diapers, but they don't work as well for our bodies and 2 tape diapers for infants is just completely unnecessary.

1682284666105.png1682284705276.png

Molicare premium soft extra and prevail air overnight both have stretchy sides. Both are one large tape as well. I really enjoyed them.

The only stretch side nappy I've had any luck with where dailee care slips, nru had them on clearance, in terms of fit and comfort they where brilliant but longevity and absorbency where not great.
They don't seem to be readily available in the UK anymore.
I've tried the boots slips and identical attends version and found the elastic wings far too long leading to a really loose fit and bizarre leakage.

Baby nappies stretch because babies grow at a rapid rate and so a bigger range of sizes need to be accommodated. Adults don't tend to. The use case is different.

starpointrune said:
Baby nappies stretch because babies grow at a rapid rate and so a bigger range of sizes need to be accommodated. Adults don't tend to. The use case is different.
Is this really the reason? Adult diaper sizes seem to cover pretty huge size ranges too

HappyNappin said:
I've tried the boots slips and identical attends version and found the elastic wings far too long leading to a really loose fit and bizarre leakage.
Thought it was just me. Definately got that impression, as soon as it became even slightly wet, it got so loose that my onesie was working overtime to keep it in place.

Bnuuy said:
Is this really the reason? Adult diaper sizes seem to cover pretty huge size ranges too
Well yes, but an adult won't change size halfway through a pack, usually. Babies grow like weeds 😅

Last edited:
The aforementioned Bambino Magnifico's are the only ABDL nappies I've ever been aware of that had the stretch sides and they were fantastic (I've still got three in my stash 😊) They fit really well and are great for overnight use. Always stay secure when rolling around in the night.

It's a shame no other manufacturer has emulated them.

Reactions: TigerDL, Prillprillprill and BenNevis
Back