Stress, booze, & bedwetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3V

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I posted a few weeks ago that I have issues wetting the bed when I drink alcohol (thank you again for the advice!) and am now curious about other’s experiences.

I wet the bed when I drink a certain amount of alcohol, but more frequently and easily if I drink alcohol AND am under a certain amount of increased stress. Does anyone else have this issue with booze, stress, and/or both? Are there other conditions that effect your bedwetting?

CloudHopper94 said:
Alcohol definitely makes my bed wetting worse on most occasions. It suppresses your anti diuretic hormone, and also puts you into a deeper sleep. If there was a chance of the urge waking me up it’s going to be gone with the deeper sleep. But then again, if it’s only a small amount the alcohol can also dehydrate you, and cause it not to happen I’ve found. I suppose it really depends on the amount you drink. I try not to so much anymore but that was when the problems first started

Did you find beer to be worse than spirits or wine? Any more than 3 beers without time to pee it out before bed and I’ll wet.

Reactions: chamberpot and Deleted member 48042
My bedwetting is pretty predictable: if I sleep, I wet the bed. Period. However, alcohol, especially beer and wine, but spirits also, although, a bit less, do increase my output and frequency, both day and night. That's why I'm not drinking anymore. That's a price I'm not willing to pay.

Even during my dry years to much beer always resulted in a wet bed.

Alcohol and stress are both well documented and know as contributors to bedwetting. You are far from alone in having that "problem" as it's quite common. Just not commonly talked about.

Reactions: Absorblock and D3V
ST50 said:
Even during my dry years to much beer always resulted in a wet bed.

Did your incontinence naturally progress to day time issues?

Slomo said:
Alcohol and stress are both well documented and know as contributors to bedwetting. You are far from alone in having that "problem" as it's quite common. Just not commonly talked about.

Agreed. In some aspects I feel like this is more embarrassing than being incontinent due to a medical condition. Wish it was talked about more.

Hi D3V,

Read your previous post on alcohol and bedwetting (BTW, super happy that your boyfriend was accepting and supportive). My experiences sound similar, I'm in my mid 20's, college wasn't too long ago, and with a major I absolutely loathe, I could very well be going back, this time living on or near campus. Anyways, you may as well check off all three boxes for me, stress, check, booze, check, stress & booze, double check. My issues really began in high-school, I had always been an occasional bedwetter ever since I was taken out of Goodnites in 3rd grade (not my decision). Up to middle school we just chalked it up to the statistic that there are some kids of that age range who naturally have the occasional nighttime accident, and also contributed it to deep sleeping while going through the fun stage of puberty, growth and development. I always used to be one of the tallest kids, (now I've had a late life growth spurt, not complaining, but wish it happened sooner) which drew that conclusion. However, this lead to bad habits, along with having a father who was largely absent due to his job; never really learned proper diet and exercise, even in my neighborhood, as our house was just in the nexus of nowhere in the middle of suburbia (just an extension of nowhere), there weren't any kids my age to be active with; make up a band, play sports etc, so I was largely left to myself with reruns of old sitcoms, chronic snacking, and the unfortunate knack of being an efficient academic student. Thus endth middle school.

By the time high-school came, I could see that I was one of the heavier kids. Who am I kidding, I was fat, but it didn't really show on my frame (like those heavier football players who don't look fat, but certainly don't look muscular). As the years went on, as did the pounds, I did have more frequent episodes of wet sheets, and back when I thought Depends could help (insert demonic laughter) I read articles that attributed being overweight to bedwetting as well. There was a decrease when I was swimming a lot, some days I was in the pool for 3 hours with back to back classes, then I went on to get my lifeguard certification, but gorging myself at night negated the calories burned. Now in my academic "career" we're approaching junior year, you that time, when every moment of your schedule down to when you move your bowels is supposedly so f---ing important so you can get into a good college? As I didn't have the luxury of being an athlete, let alone the support, or an artist, again, let alone the support, I unfortunately had to rely on academic performance. I didn't really care for it, but I was good at it, not to mention with weighted grades. I had a schedule where I had a day of nothing but AP/honors classes, and another day with 2 filled with extra credits as well. I was stressed to the limit, with the way the workload piled up, conflicting days with nothing but tests, projects, papers due. Back then it made for long days, long nights, and stressed to the point if I woke up in dry sheets two or three times a week, it was a good week. Junior year was pure hell. Senior year had a similar courseload, but evenly distributed, it was a better year, I met one of my greatest friends (whom has totally turned for the worst currently), knew what it was like to have a crush on a girl, and got that precious acceptance to one of my state's greatest private university's. I was on top of the world for a while, sure I was single, fat, and always working on something for a class, but supposedly everything was "working". Did I still have issues, yes, but they were predictable, closer to exams, or when larger projects were due, and it felt like a different type of stress than junior year, this was more exhaustion.

College came (insert deflated and flat party horn). I missed my old friends, but was immediately happier than I ever was in high school, in retrospect, instead of being so focused on grades, one, I never would have majored in the physical sciences, I would have never touched STEM, now being stuck with this damn degree, two, understood it was a sycophantic symphony, and three, wouldn't have been a commuter relying on public transport. Freshman year started easy, until they threw us idiots into o-chem, and it was nice meeting other people, having a campus, and discovering a new, welcome crutch; alcohol! As everyone does to start with, I had a low tolerance, but began to build that up. When and why did I build it up? Stress! Towards the second and third quarters of the year I would hit up 2 glasses of vodka fairly frequently, and if stress with Dr.ReadHisNotesTurnHisBackAndLectureIntoTheDryEraseboard's tests, I was very stressed and my sheets were soaked. This was also a time in life when my parents decided they needed to make everything all about them, my old man making up the idea my mother was having an affair, and the whole dramatic move out/victim thing, when nothing had happened (this was before I learned the term of narcissism). My tolerance was building greater and greater. Sophomore year, hands down was the best year, I had the last of Dr.ImJustHereForThePaycheck's classes (which I would have to retake) and a schedule that was perfect, despite starting early, I was done by noon. After dodging what was more than likely a cardiac event after the final exam with Dr.Worthless, I had the time to work out and start shedding pounds. Now that I had a great imbecile out of my way I had removed a year long stressor, with working out, I had been able to craft a schedule for studying/homework, and meet a wonderful friend who I spent most of the year with for homework between classes, and we began to build our schedules together. Losing weight, I had far fewer accidents, my stress had been lowered, and I wasn't treating drinking as something that was necessary all the time, I'd save it for friday and the weekend. I was also helping my dad balance what was going on with my grandmother healthwise, a blood infection, and she passed away that summer. Drinking habits didn't increase, but the stress was back in another way, right before junior year. This year was supposed to start remarkably, and plunged to an all time low, as I was very sick, and now I was pissed off at the world, taking it out on myself, drinking heavily while very close to being in the hospital. In some ways, it was the only way to sleep, but now, with the picture painted once more "junior year is the most important year" my old dreams were dead, and I was looking at a future I certainly did not want. Somehow I managed to pass all of my classes, labs, study with my friend, hang out with old friends, commute to and from campus, and work a job on campus, but there were several nights that were just like my nights as a junior in high school. I was healthy by spring, and I had given up drinking (heavily) as I was taking the most rigorous classes offered/required for my major, and having lost so much weight it hit me hard and fast. Summer arrived, as well as having to retake a class with a professor who could actually teach (and I had him for 2 other classes junior year, always did well) once it was said and done, I was at an all time low, depressed AF looking at what my future might be, feeling absolutely betrayed by what the image of college was that was sold to students versus reality, well, my reality, all that had been lost (and to add, my dog was passing away that summer). So being numb and pickled was the only thing that got me through. Senior year, might have been some of my heaviest drinking, never missed a class or work to a hangover, I'd tough it out need be, and my schedule was quite open; my required coursework was complete, and it was too late to change majors, I was chained to a sinking ship, and all I had was to watch it go down. Senior year wasn't as stressful, I knew I hated my major and would never seek a graduate degree in the field, or anything related, really, I also needed the time to help my dad with my grandmother's house to get it cleaned and on the market. Bedwetting wasn't as bad senior year, but it was there, my go to was straight gin, and juniper is a natural diuretic. Combine that and drinking to blacking out a few times per month...

Now, I'm 3 years out of that mass marketed life script. Since then, I've dealt with my dad trying to bully me into jobs IDGAF about on the slightest level, he had to have emergency surgery 2 years ago and I was the one who took care of him for 3 months. I was drinking half a handle of booze every day at that point in time, thinking, "what's the worst that can happen? I don't wake up? There have been greater tragedies." I think that 3 month stretch was the worst, and didn't wake up in dry sheets for the same amount of time. 2019, I hit the point where I can't get a minorly interesting job in this f---ing field that has a pay rate where I can afford to move out and live someplace I actually like, despite having friends with their weak majors in the humanities or arts, or fell into a contrived relationship to do so. With this, there have been many mornings that have started with a glass of vodka and listening to AIC's Down In A Hole or Nutshell, and the day is just low level drinking until I go to bed. I can't say that the drinking has been the sole contributor to my now infrequent accidents, but nights I know I overindulge it makes sense, or if dynamics at home, in finding a temporary job until I go back to school are bad, it is quite frequent.

Sorry for the long post, I've just had a long history with heavy drinking and nighttime issues, hopeful some part of this answers your questions.

FudgedInLuvs, sorry you’ve been through so much. I’ve been to a therapist before, and there’s no shame in taking care of your mental health. Best of luck to you and I hope things ease up for you in the future.

And yeah, seems stress and alcohol certainly adds to bedwetting issues (granted I’m not a regular/nightly bedwetter).

FudgedInLuvs said:
instead of being so focused on grades, one, I never would have majored in the physical sciences, I would have never touched STEM, now being stuck with this damn degree,

I'm curious what your degree is in. I haven't met many people with STEM degrees who regret getting them - technical jobs tend to pay well, there are usually lots of opportunities for lateral movement into other technical fields and career, and it's often easier to go from a technical degree into a nontechnical field than the opposite. I'm interested to hear what you don't like about your field, and what you wish you had gone into.

As far as drinking and bedwetting and the OP's questions, anything that pushes you into deeper sleep can lead to incontinence issues. I normally never wet the bed, despite having severe urgency problems and frequent daytime incontinence episodes. If I take strong sedatives, though, including alprazolam (a tranquilizer), phenergan (an antinausea medication), or narcotic painkillers, I'll end up wetting the bed sometimes - not always, but maybe a third of the time. Certainly often enough that I'll wear diapers at night when I'm on those meds, although I usually only have to wear diapers during the day.

This is actually how I got started wearing diapers. I used to heavily drink goldschlagger and would always wet the bed during the night. It caused so many fights between us that I had to start wearing diapers. I ended up really enjoying it and kept exploring it.

Reactions: bohemian85 and (deleted member)
RosiePixie said:
This is actually how I got started wearing diapers. I used to heavily drink goldschlagger and would always wet the bed during the night. It caused so many fights between us that I had to start wearing diapers. I ended up really enjoying it and kept exploring it.

Goldschlagger, yikes! Haha. That brings me back to college days. So your partner was cool with wearing and continuing to wear? How’s your night wetting now?

The only time I have wet my bed due to alcohol was the night after my parents were killed. Initially I was taken in by my Aunty K and didn't tell her about my nappies. My older cousin and his girlfriend took me out the night after, I was just over 12 but looked older and got me absolutely drunk on a mixture of pils and cider. I woke up in a very, very wet and cold bed.

ltaluv said:
I'm curious what your degree is in. I haven't met many people with STEM degrees who regret getting them - technical jobs tend to pay well, there are usually lots of opportunities for lateral movement into other technical fields and career, and it's often easier to go from a technical degree into a nontechnical field than the opposite. I'm interested to hear what you don't like about your field, and what you wish you had gone into.

STEM was beaten to death by the time I was in high-school and undergrad, what they really need to do, if one cares about actually having a job in demand, with a salary that isn't poverty level, is cut it down to TE. Of course the tech people don't have any freaking issues. I thought, maybe med school could be a possibility, my major was biochemistry. Absolutely f-ing worthless. There are very few jobs in demand, or if they are, a bachelors isn't enough, if it is you're looking at jobs that barely scrape minimum wage, and you can expect to be working 60-80 hours a week. I live in a place that I love, but I'm tired of the growth, and want to live in the city. A degree in science does absolutely nothing to suit my lifestyle. To be honest, if I could do it all over again, I would have rather been a "finance bro", software engineer/data science, or built my curriculum more towards attending law school.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: bbpnts
D3V said:
I posted a few weeks ago that I have issues wetting the bed when I drink alcohol (thank you again for the advice!) and am now curious about other’s experiences.

I wet the bed when I drink a certain amount of alcohol, but more frequently and easily if I drink alcohol AND am under a certain amount of increased stress. Does anyone else have this issue with booze, stress, and/or both? Are there other conditions that effect your bedwetting?
I can definitely relate to this. About a year ago, I had a bedwetting accident after a night out. I was super embarrassed when my wife found out as I haven’t wet the bed in years. Fast forward a few weeks later, it happened again. I ended up having another accident after we had a night out drinking. I wasn’t sure what caused it as my drinking was not excessive. Unfortunately I have continued to randomly wet the bed. My wife thinks I’m wetting the bed due to several issues. I’m a heavy sleeper, she’s noticed that I’ve been really stressed due to my job and she thinks the alcohol keeps me in a deeper sleep causing me not to wake up when I have to go. We sat down and talked about the accidents. She suggested I start wearing diapers to bed on nights I’m sleep deprived and/or been drinking. I was reluctant at first but they have really grown on me. I’m very fortunate enough that my wife is very understanding.

Reactions: D3V and chamberpot
They go hand in hand. I drink lite beer at night and I think that late in the evening I forget my rule, which is if I get another can, I must go to the bathroom and try first. But more sleep is always equated with more beer, thus the diaper and plastic pants must be worn nightly for me. Anything stronger than lite beer compounds the not waking up to go issue, but I rarely drink anything stronger.

I’m a bit of a alcoholic, I drink most days lol

I wet the bed usually once a week, and it’s either on nights that I’m stressed and/or extremely tired, alcohol seals the deal. especially if I’ve just gotten home after a month or 2 in camp. Usually I’m wore out from little sleep when I get home, then everyone wants to party = guaranteed a soaked diaper in the morning

Reactions: bohemian85
I don’t frequently wet the bed but back when I used to drink more and was under more stress I certainly did. It’s much better now, however, what with the sobriety and more relaxed mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back