Storyline RP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakotawolfpup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
Something I've noticed on this forum is that just about every RP I see has 1-2 line posts. Now I'm not knocking folks who enjoy that kinda RP, but to me, it doesn't really spark the kind of creative rush that storyline RP does. For those of you unfamiliar with this type of roleplay, it's where the players use paragraphs with descriptive sentences to construct a scene and interact.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a dying art these days, yet when I started RPing 14 years ago, it was the way things were done. So just curious...anyone here enjoy that kind of roleplay?

G

GaashaHuzzah

I love that kind, but if someone only gives you a sentence to work with, you can't do much with it.

We still have a few stragglers, check out Something Wicked This Way Comes... Yet To be named had a few one liners, so I'll exclude that...

lakotawolfpup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
Thanks for the tip. Looked through it, and while the style is what I'm talking about, I hate going into a long-running RP...mostly because it tends to upset the balance.

G

GaashaHuzzah

Thanks for the tip. Looked through it, and while the style is what I'm talking about, I hate going into a long-running RP...mostly because it tends to upset the balance.

Oh, I know!

In this day and age if you try to enter something even a page after the first post, you won't be able to shimmy your way in there at all.

Same thing goes for stream conversations and so much else.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
I've kind of given on on the Roleplaying forum for just that reason...

I mean, I'm not much help either, I've gotten so lazy about it that I'm only supplying a few lines myself, but if I could shake myself awake, I may be able to throw something decent together...

I suppose it's a matter of discipline, for me. I'm just too effing spoiled from chatplaying for the past year and a half..

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
I like maybe a paragraph on private IM'ing, but on a forum it's much more fun this way. If anyone were to kick one off i'd be more than happy to participate (given that the storyline is one of interest and not just another generic "mom and dad" roleplay).

My personal favourite type is Medieval Fantasy roleplay. Have written a few Anthro-Novels based in the dark ages with a twist of fantasy.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
I like maybe a paragraph on private IM'ing, but on a forum it's much more fun this way. If anyone were to kick one off i'd be more than happy to participate (given that the storyline is one of interest and not just another generic "mom and dad" roleplay).

My personal favourite type is Medieval Fantasy roleplay. Have written a few Anthro-Novels based in the dark ages with a twist of fantasy.

My favorite are the general "Gifted" kind of roleplays. XD

Anything with powers, abilities, magic, and the like. ^_^

But, like I said, I've gotten so lazy about it, I haven't participated in one in a long time.

L

LilpawsGHuskypup

Being a role play moderator on another forum, I've experienced this kind of role play to work pretty smoothly. But I'm not a fan of one paragraph posts either, I find role plays with more descriptive and interacting post more alive and interesting.
Everyone must know the rules though, it's not funny when one player plays god and controls other players. We no like that!

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy

[font="Calibri,Arial"]We've had a few people leave it, and it's a bit inactive at the moment, so there's no risk of the balance been upset more than it already has.[/font]

cornkid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
I love doing those types of rps but dislike doing it on the fourm. Id rather do it on msn becuse It alot faster for me. Plus I need someone who wants to rp with me...

Myoti

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I used to do alot more "adventure" type of RPs on other forums (ran a few of 'em), but often did run into problems like that (or others not comprehending what happened in the post before them).

I eventually started running invite only ones which worked a whole lot better, until the few people that WERE in it didn't have enough time to keep contributing. :C

I occasionally do light RPing on messengers and what not with friends, but I have been thinking more on trying to do some kind of actual gaming RP over it (or IRC, etc.).

I'm suppose to be running a DnD campaign with three of my friends, too, but we made the character sheets awhile back and can't find one of them now (which happened to be the hardest one to make T_T ).

DamianTheDolphin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
i RP all the time, just not on here. I have a group of close babyfur/caretakers/cuddly furs in several convos on skype which i nearly do nothing but RP in. I love to act all cute and make other people d'awww at me hehe.

most of the time its just light RP but every once in a while we get a bunch of people online at once and we do something abit larger ^^

SparkleShine

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Roleplay? That's one of my favorite hobbies! Though I have to admit that it's hard to put together a solid group RP. In most of the ones I've been involved in (including the few I've started myself), a couple of things tend to be the downfall: lack of time, loss of interest, not enough people to take part, people who don't follow the rules, and occasionally, in group drama. Usually it's one of the first three, though.

Ah, group RP...you're wonderful when you work, but when you don't... :wallbash:

Spoiler for shortness' sake, and because I ramble too much:
It's an understandable issue, though, and why I can see the reason for many people saving their most developed and detailed ideas for invite only scenarios and/or one-on-one RP. Coming up with ways to keep the plot and action flowing is tough. You don't want to create a "but thou must!" situation for your players - unless you do, that is, but I try avoiding that because I don't like being on the receiving end of that kind of surprise. If I know it's likely, that's fine, but when it's an apparently free-form forum/chat RP with no set series of events, it's a bit of a surprise to realize that there are some things that my character *has* to get involved in, like it or not. Plus, I don't like feeling that my ideas of how things should go will get in the way of people's creativity. (Keep in mind, I've only roleplayed through text, not within tabletop games, so my view would probably be different if I had. I've been meaning to try finding a gaming group for a long time now, just haven't gotten around to it yet...)

Creating scenarios that will hopefully interest a large number of people and leaving space for new players to get involved can be tough too. If it's set up to only include so many characters in main positions, and somebody leaves, everything can get thrown off track as everyone scrambles for an explanation for why someone disappeared. People may be extremely active at the beginning and then trail off, or suddenly get rid of one character so they can play another. People may get focused with a small handful of characters and not really pay attention to others, resulting in people who come in later not having any way to get involved, even if the RP's plot leaves room for new additions. Someone may come in who's used to a different RP style and do things that are considered borderline god-mode within the group, causing issues and disagreements on what they should/shouldn't be able to do. A person might power play continuously because they're new to the idea of not controlling the actions of other people's characters, and then things get off track while people try to explain and not offend each other. Then there are people who blatantly ignore parts of the setting or background information., or break rules because they don't see the reason for them. Sometimes there are trolls, or people who post in invite-only threads...I've even had one time when an RP more or less died out because the thread it was in got hit by a password stealer for a while, and the flow of the story got interrupted because we couldn't go back and reference the things that had already happened. Then there's the people who respond to your three paragraph introduction/starting posts with two or three lines...

As you can see, I'm verbose, so I kinda end up writing long responses whether I need to or not. And it makes me sad when I want to do more but I have nothing to work with besides a basic piece of dialogue and some minor action. Then again, I can understand people not wanting to spend/having the kind of time it takes to write all that. And I have plenty of days where I just can't think of anything to write, so I'm stuck between being short/not as interesting and leaving the person or people in the same scene as my character waiting. Or getting left behind and trying to slip back into things later, which is tricky too. And I know there's been times where the idea for an RP interested me, but I looked at how often/fast people post, or how much they posted, and wonder if I can keep up with the pacing and quality already established. So it's a balance, one that can be hard to keep when you have a pretty large group. The times it's worked, though, have been great! There are scenes and characters that I still remember, years after the game ended or the group split up. (Chat RP can be fun too, by the way! I just tend to do those in messengers instead of on forums.)

Anyway, I also to write solo at times, and have been lucky enough to have a steady one-on-one RP partner for about a year now. Granted, a lot of the time we're working more on brainstorming than active RP, but it makes the posts better when we do make them. And the fact that we work on multiple settings/characters at once means that if we get stumped on one idea, there's no frustration; just shift topics. Even so, I'd like to get into group RP again sometime, and to try it in some kind of tabletop game, too. (I would give roleplay in MMOs a shot, since I like both, but I don't type fast enough ^^; I have a hard enough time keeping up in a chat with more than 2 other people, and that's just talking about stuff!)

leffykit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
I much prefer the storyline type and up until last year I was very active on quite a few long running ones. the only reason I dropped back on them was due to the fact that once you're involved in three or four you barely have enough time for other things.

I used to be a regular on the Digimon and Ghost In The Shell based ones but they started to take up way too much of my time, especially as forum staff changed over and I was increasingly pressured to take up more responsibility for the running of them during UK peak times.

EDIT; I prefer the dedicated forum based ones as opposed to the "all in one thread" type employed on fanforums

lakotawolfpup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
Well, I like just about any kind of genre...anything from fantasy to scifi to modern day scenarios. I agree that the Cub-Caretaker RP is kinda difficult to do a storyline RP with, though it's easy enough to work a bit of it into a larger storyline. Thing is, I don't know if we're allowed to start RPs that don't revolve around diapers on this particular forum. If that is allowed, and there's any interest, I'd be willing to start a storyline RP. Feedback anyone?

G

GaashaHuzzah

Well, I like just about any kind of genre...anything from fantasy to scifi to modern day scenarios. I agree that the Cub-Caretaker RP is kinda difficult to do a storyline RP with, though it's easy enough to work a bit of it into a larger storyline. Thing is, I don't know if we're allowed to start RPs that don't revolve around diapers on this particular forum. If that is allowed, and there's any interest, I'd be willing to start a storyline RP. Feedback anyone?

You're fully aloud to, and I'd love to partake in one!

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy

The former Dionea University, (which I still need to effing get back into and still feel horrible about dropping...) had nothing to do with *BDL themes.

It's absolutely fine to have any kind of roleplay here, as long as it is age appropriate for the younger members, since the Roleplay Forum is available for anyone to see and post in.

lakotawolfpup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
Alright, as of last night, I've posted the start for a fantasy themed RP. Anyone interested in joining, it's called "Blackest Before the Dawn." Check out the basic rules and first post and PM me if interested in joining. I'm ready to go to town with this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.