Still like Windows XP? Well keep using it with this mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
I was snooping around on the net and came across this post on zdnet.com

zdnet.com said:
As reported by Wayne Williams at Betanews and confirmed by us, a simple registry hack to a Windows XP system tricks Windows Update into providing updates for it.

Williams says that the hack, included just below, makes the system look like Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 which will continue to receive updated until April 9, 2019.

To apply the hack, create a text file with a .reg extension and the contents below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP | ZDNet

It does work. I happened to have an old XP box hanging around and thought I would try it just for the hell of it!

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
The best update for windows XP:

get rid of it.

That system is so full of security holes, instabilities etc... that it's the best thing to just let it die.

Fascinating

Fascinating Lady - Fantastic in Plastic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
My Windows 8 died on May 18. I can restart it and the login screen does not show. The desktop shows a little, but I think RTO is totally gone. I went on it this Tuesday and the date was locked in the lower left of 5/18 but on the lower right it had updated to 5/27
What should I do? What did I do wrong?

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
The best update for windows XP:

get rid of it.

That system is so full of security holes, instabilities etc... that it's the best thing to just let it die.

Everyone has different views. The hack I found gives you important security updates via Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 updates which Microsoft still has support out for and will till April 9 2019. Just in case you missed that on the page I posted.

- - - Updated - - -

My Windows 8 died on May 18. I can restart it and the login screen does not show. The desktop shows a little, but I think RTO is totally gone. I went on it this Tuesday and the date was locked in the lower left of 5/18 but on the lower right it had updated to 5/27
What should I do? What did I do wrong?

I have never used Windows 8 nor will I ever due to the ugly Metro interface, so im afraid I wont be much help. Ive gone to mainly Linux now days unless I'm working on music production in which case I use my XP box.

Last edited:

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other

Fascinating

Fascinating Lady - Fantastic in Plastic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
My XP died from overheating. My Vista got hacked and they deleted my restore partition so I could not use it. I gave it to the kids. Now I have a Windows 7 as my main computer but I run it with a Linux USB for work every day. We have 3 laptops with Windows 8 and only one has lasted much over a year. Two have to go back under the extended protection plans and will not boot to metro anymore. The Toshiba I bought first of the 3 about 16 months ago and my 16 year old uses it. It is a 15 inch and I wanted a 10 inch but now my little one died.
F.L.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
Yeah. It ain't good to be running an OS that isn't getting security updates anymore. Not in this day and age. Without periodic updates, XP is basically a rotting corpse. Time to bury it and move on. Some day, it might re-emerge as a cool retro OS to be running on fifty-year-old hardware, and by then, perhaps, all of the compatible viruses will have died off.

baby_mike said:
It does work. I happened to have an old XP box hanging around and thought I would try it just for the hell of it!

Yes, but...

Microsoft said:
We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP. The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

XP Embedded is a small subset of the XP product consumers are running. The patches aren't quite the same, and don't address the full breadth of regular XP. Ordinarily I'd be inclined to doubt a company response like this, being as there is obvious financial incentive for Microsoft to get customers off XP, however it turns out that I have some experience with both of these products and know that the statement is true.

Last edited:

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
Yeah. It ain't good to be running an OS that isn't getting security updates anymore. Not in this day and age. Without periodic updates, XP is basically a rotting corpse. Time to bury it and move on. Some day, it might re-emerge as a cool retro OS to be running on fifty-year-old hardware, and by then, perhaps, all of the compatible viruses will have died off.

That's what this mod does for you. Windows XP SP3 is the back bone for Windows Embedded POSReady which is still officially supported till 2019. Adding that modified reg key to Windows XP tricks the Windows Update Software into thinking that you are actually running Windows Embedded and allows you to download current software and important security updates. If you don't believe it works give it a try yourself!

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
That's what this mod does for you. Windows XP SP3 is the back bone for Windows Embedded POSReady which is still officially supported till 2019. Adding that modified reg key to Windows XP tricks the Windows Update Software into thinking that you are actually running Windows Embedded and allows you to download current software and important security updates. If you don't believe it works give it a try yourself!

I believe that it does something, it's just not a very good something. :) Per my edited response above: The patches you'll get with this hack only address a tiny part of the whole OS, so you're not gaining much. Plus, as these updates are tailored to POSReady, there's a good chance they'll do bad things. POSReady is not just a re-branding of XP. It's different on a pretty fundamental level.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
I believe that it does something, it's just not a very good something. :) Per my edited response above: The patches you'll get with this hack only address a tiny part of the whole OS, so you're not gaining much. Plus, as these updates are tailored to POSReady, there's a good chance they'll do bad things. POSReady is not just a re-branding of XP. It's different on a pretty fundamental level.

Time will tell how well it will work. There are still many hard core xp users, do t mistake me for one either the only reason I use it is because my USB midi keyboard has no support past xp. Lol

I just thought that this mid was neat, I don't think it will be long before Microsoft closes the hole though!

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
Time will tell how well it will work. There are still many hard core xp users, do t mistake me for one either the only reason I use it is because my USB midi keyboard has no support past xp. Lol

I just thought that this mid was neat, I don't think it will be long before Microsoft closes the hole though!

In practice, it may be better than nothing, or it may be far worse. It's a gamble, that's all. It's impossible to predict what patches will ship for POSReady, and nobody at Microsoft will be testing them on regular ol' XP.

If you really need XP for some reason, run it in Virtual PC or another VM with networking disabled. Then you can surf the web and do all your network-facing stuff in a secure host OS while running old XP in a window. Slowly weaning yourself off of old hazardous OSes is one of the many things VMs are awesome for.

skunk053

stylin' mammal
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
Best update for Windows XP is Linux. :damnpc:

w0lfpack91

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
There are still many hard core xp users,

if there are they are not in west Kentucky or southern illinois. i have yet to find one and i operate in quite a few Countys in West KY and Brookport and Metropolis Ill. oldest OS i have Seen is Vista. i havent seen a XP machine in use for atleast 3 years now.

- - - Updated - - -

If you really need XP for some reason, run it in Virtual PC or another VM with networking disabled. Then you can surf the web and do all your network-facing stuff in a secure host OS while running old XP in a window. Slowly weaning yourself off of old hazardous OSes is one of the many things VMs are awesome for.

windows 7 has a built in Virtual machine for XP. its called XP mode i use it to run old computer games that are XP and back.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
if there are they are not in west Kentucky or southern illinois. i have yet to find one and i operate in quite a few Countys in West KY and Brookport and Metropolis Ill. oldest OS i have Seen is Vista. i havent seen a XP machine in use for atleast 3 years now. windows 7 has a built in Virtual machine for XP. its called XP mode i use it to run old computer games that are XP and back.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a little more then 4 million people living in Kentucky, Im sure there would be a few XP users. I live in Missouri and happen to know a few people that still run XP daily. Vista is the OS that I haven't seen on a computer in years.

w0lfpack91

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
- - - Updated - - -

There is a little more then 4 million people living in Kentucky, Im sure there would be a few XP users. I live in Missouri and happen to know a few people that still run XP daily. Vista is the OS that I haven't seen on a computer in years.

i have about 500 regular customers and about twice that one time service calls in four years and i have never seen an XP computer used for anything more than a half assed Security camera server.

now yes its true the odds are in favor of there still being XP users but they are not as many as you seem to think there are and 90% of the Time if you are still useing XP in this day and age you are over 65 years old and dont know the difrence between a CD and a DVD or In a few cases you are just broke as hell ( which i still have trouble beliving this one as you can get a used 7 machine for about $100 or maybe even less)

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
i have about 500 regular customers and about twice that one time service calls in four years and i have never seen an XP computer used for anything more than a half assed Security camera server.

now yes its true the odds are in favor of there still being XP users but they are not as many as you seem to think there are and 90% of the Time if you are still useing XP in this day and age you are over 65 years old and dont know the difrence between a CD and a DVD or In a few cases you are just broke as hell ( which i still have trouble beliving this one as you can get a used 7 machine for about $100 or maybe even less)

"General worldwide estimates still put Windows XP at nearly 30% of the overall desktop operating system market as of the end of March, but Qualys found usage to be around 10% for enterprise and consumer customers. As Kandek notes in the blog post, Qualys users are assumedly more security conscious than average, so the Qualys metrics are good news but possibly not indicative of any broader trend."

Windows XP use declining, but millions still willingly at risk - TechRepublic

I never said that its what I think its what, I do my research before I say anything. Its hit and miss, I service a lot of low income people which is most likely why I run into Windows XP a lot. Lack of money seem to keep people that dont have money to spend on an upgrade, on older system.,

I going to keep my extra computer running XP just to see how long it takes for it to get a major virus, just for the hell of it.

tiny

Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I still have an XP installation that I use occasionally to run proprietary back-up software on my main PC. And my print server runs XP too. Neither are used for web-browsing so they should be safe.

Actually, I installed XP on a couple of old machines a few days ago. They'll be used as remote terminals to access media over the local network and for web-browsing. It's not ideal... Maybe I should convince the guy to let me install Linux on them instead... The only problem with that is that I don't know how a non-techie Linux-newbie would cope with keeping the system updated and fixing stuff when it breaks... :-/

XP will be around for a while until all the old hardware dies, I think! The PC's I've just installed XP on are too old and slow to justifying buying new versions of Windows -- I doubt the hardware is up to it, anyway. Linux is an option for some, but most people (who aren't "techies" and want an easy life!) won't want to faff around with installing and maintaining an unfamiliar OS (assuming they can even work out how to install it!).

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
XP will be around for a while until all the old hardware dies, I think!

yep.
the XP Mode on 7 doesn't work, or work fully, on all XP compatible software; more so for software which either originated on earlier OS's or which have been downgraded from the original form and/or turned into subscription services. on that note, i think that the bulk of 'flaws' with XP come direct or indirectly from MS in order to boost their income.

tiny

Contributor
Role
  1. Private
"XP mode" stopped being supported when XP did, so it's not really an alternative... And you need an expensive version of Windows 7 -- Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise only. It's just as easy to install XP in a virtual machine (assuming you have a spare licence for it).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

P.S.:
Ack! I just remembered you sent me a PM about Windows 8 ages ago that I'd been meaning to reply to before I went AWOL for a bit! Sorry, ade!

Alas, I've never used Windows 8 (aside for a quick wiggle of the mouse), but I've heard that Windows 8.1 (I assume that's a Service Pack add-on) can be customised to look like Windows 7.

Generally Windows comes in OEM and Retail versions. The licence for OEM copies says that you can only ever install them on a single machine, and can't transfer the OS to a new machine ever. However, EU law supersedes that, and does allow OEM licences to be sold and transferred to different machines. So, if you make that clear to Microsoft when demanding that they activate your PC, they should help! (In theory.)

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-even-if-software-company-says-you-cant.shtml
Selling OEM Windows copies
Used Software Can Be Sold, Says EU Court of Justice - Slashdot

nray999

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
XP has outlived its usefulness, unfortunately my company has mission critical software that has not been updated so we still have several thousand XP VMs and desktops. Fortunately they live behind additional firewalls with locked down permissions and a good proxy so they are unlikely to become botnet zombies.
If you have to run something on XP then a minimal VM on Win 7-8 or Linux is the safest bet. Anything less than 10 years old can run a modern Linux distro with a lightweight desktop. I've been running Xubuntu 12.04 on an IBM T42p for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.