Stickshift?

SeaLionMan1982

Techie in Atlanta looking to meet people.
Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
Anyone else know how to drive stick?

It’s a dying art.

I unfortunately do not. It's something I really want to learn sometime though!

Yep , easy peasy �� But it does help living in the Uk where 5on the floor is the norm and 6 speed is quite common in cars as well , I even driven a 4 over 4 manual truck with either a knock over splitter or a toggle on stick splitter
The main things to Rember are
Lift foot of throttle when depressing clutch
Depress clutch when coming to a stop
The other thing with manual boxes is it's a lot easier to control your speed with out using the brakes simply by lifting off the gas or changing down a cog or 2
But driving one does require a brain ������

Try driving an old 1929 three speed where there is no meshing with the clutch!!! That's a fun one. It wouldn't get up over 40 top speed anyway, it's such low horsepower.

We call them manuals in Australia and yep I definitely prefer them. Current car has a 6 speed transmission and it is lovely.

Recently bought my first manual car (2014 mustang GT). Super fun car, love almost everything about it [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I learned to drive on a stick shift. My next car after that was also a stick, three on the column. I had a friend who had a Roadrunner, four on the floor and I used to drive that, back in the day.

Yep, I've driven a stick for much of my life, although I have an automatic at the moment. I like a 5-speed and have never had any trouble driving a stick.

It is also a 'cultural' thing. Most cars in Europa have stick shift. I wouldn't know how to drive a car with automatic transmission :smile:

Can do it, and I do find it makes the experience of driving that more engaging.

Like you said though, dying art. Automatics have gotten really good, and electric cars are basically going to make it all a moot point in 20 years or so.

Yup, sure can! I can also drive right hand drive manuals. I really want a right hand diesel wagon with a manual, but I live in the US and our overly stupid import laws won't allow me to have what I want. Wouldn't mind a BMW X5 / X6 M50d, rhd of course, also a big fan of ute's. Our dumb import bs really makes me want to go to Europe, Australia, or the UK, I envy you guys with your super cool cars!

Yes, I prefer driving a stick.

Yes, or a manual as we call them here in the UK, and almost everyone who learns to drive (95%) does so in a manual. The actual number of automatic cars being driven is higher, but if you pass your test in an automatic your licence only lets you drive an automatic - if you pass in a manual you get a full licence and can drive either.

Sure, the clutch takes some getting used to (you stall a lot when learning) but it's second nature after a while. And having control over the gearing ratio gives you more control over how you drive the car. Supposedly it should make the car cheaper too as automatic transmissions are a lot more expensive to manufacture and repair.

I much prefer a manual transmission but it is getting harder to find them in the States. My last car was a 2004 Acura TL 6 spd but they quit offering manual transmissions in 2014. I started looking for a new car in 2016. Audi discontinued selling manuals in the States that year. I settled on a BWM 340 with a six speed but they had to order it from Germany because they didn't carry any in their inventory. I love the car and plan on holding onto it as long as I can. I just read an article that they are phasing out manual transmissions in large semi's partly because they have a driver shortage and to few young people can drive a stick. I hate the way automatics are constantly seeking the highest gear possible and when you need more power they start gear searching. I read a review of a new 10 speed automatic that Ford is offering in the Mustang. The reviewer complained about all of the gear searching when trying to accelerate rapidly. I occasionally rent cars when we travel and have to drive an automatic. Since we are trying to save some money we get small vehicles that are under powered and it just reinforces my dislike of automatics.

I drive an Auto semi truck all week that’s limited to 52mph �� but my car is a 1.8 diesel 2009 Focus hatch back it only has 115hp but with a manual box 5speed it flys along the country lanes and on Motorways

My current car has a 5 speed automatic, but with paddle shifters on the steering column. They allow me to drop back down to 3rd gear when I need the extra revs to merge into traffic, or go up steep hills. ( the engine is only rated at about 100 hp.)

I own a 94 ram 1500 with a 5 speed and an 09 ram 3500 with a 6 speed. I wouldn't have it any other way. My 09 has an exhaust brake so being able to drop down a gear when I want is great.
I've also driven commercial trucks ranging from a 2 stick 7 speed Mack dump truck to an 18 speed Peterbilt 379 extended hood. Nice thing about commercial trucks is the clutch is only needed to get moving the rest of the shifting is done by matching rpms.

I just bought a 2019 Mustang GT, with..... an automatic transmission. It does have paddle shifters that I use, but there is no way I'm going with a manual. Automatic has 10 gears and can outshift a manual in a race, so I'm perfectly fine with it. Not only that it makes a better daily driver. I can put it into S mode for pure paddle shifting, or into sport mode where it sticks with a gear higher into the rpm band.

Dying art in the US maybe but most of the rest of the world prefers stick from what I've seen.

In the UK driving an auto is looked upon as something for fat old men in big luxury cars. Having an automatic-only license is almost a sign of being so bad at driving you couldn't get a "real" license.

My daily drive is 6-speed manual, my toys are 4/5 speed plus high/low range and one has an overdrive too - three sticks for the win! :neener_neener:

If I had to drive in city traffic everyday I'd probably buy an auto as my clutch leg gets tired.

The rise of modern autos has a lot to do with being able to protect the car from abuse with software in the engine/gearbox, allows manufacturers to make things smaller/cheaper/weaker and tune for best emissions in the knowledge the driver simply isn't allowed to do anything naughty like red-line it or drop the clutch. Doing a lot of off-road driving that would absolutely kill me as sometimes you've gotta be a bit naughty to get out of a bad situation.

MickeyM said:
I just bought a 2019 Mustang GT, with..... an automatic transmission. It does have paddle shifters that I use, but there is no way I'm going with a manual. Automatic has 10 gears and can outshift a manual in a race, so I'm perfectly fine with it. Not only that it makes a better daily driver. I can put it into S mode for pure paddle shifting, or into sport mode where it sticks with a gear higher into the rpm band.

I’m in the same boat as you, but with a Dodge. I thought about a 6 speed manual Challenger RT but I decided on a 2014 Charger RT with an auto 5 speed.

Not even Paul Walker could beat the computer in an auto while driving a manual!

I have paddleshifters so I get the best of both worlds. Next year I’m hoping to upgrade to a 392 Daytona. Fingers crossed!!! I love driving manual, but RWD is hard enough in winter and throw in a manual trans? Yikes. Besides, I’m competitive, and the auto is faster :)

Back