Not open for further replies.

RP1986

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
Hey there normally I lurk but this is something I'm concerned about. I will be traveling soon and thus staying in a hotel. My concern is how do I deal with the used diapers? I'm assuming I just notify the front desk, but I'd like to hear some experience with this. Thanks!

BachBrahms

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
For us this seems like a big deal, but I'm sure hotel housekeeping deals with it all the time. There's no need to notify the front desk. Here's what I do:

1) Be sure to use diapers that are of excellent absorbency - higher than what you might use at home - or double up to prevent leaks in the hotel bed. If you use chux at home or are prone to leaks, it would be a good idea to use them in the hotel bed, too, out of courtesy.

2) Bag up used diapers in a plastic grocery bag or other similar, small bag. Place it in the trash can in your room.

3) Be sure to leave a nice tip and keep your room in good order for the maid.

That's it! No problem. I can assure you that hotel staff have seen much stranger, and by taking care of the steps above, it will be a non-issue for the hotel staff and for you!

dprpantsnpypants

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Well, I just spent almost a month in a hotel for work so I have got this down to a fine art! Here's what I do....

1. Always use bed pads, I usually buy the large ones and put several together. Or, as the previous poster pointed out - use higher than normal absorbency diapers. It would not be cool to leave a big wet patch on the bed - the hotel may even charge you a cleaning fee!

2. Yes, plenty of grocery bags - I usually stop at a big store and swipe a handful extra when I am checking out. The checkout folks never seem to care - I usually ask first!

3. I prefer not to use the trash in my room. Instead, I park by a back entrance and dump my diaper bag each morning in the trash by the doors (there is always a trash can by these doors). Don't put too many in one bag as they often have small openings and you'll be stuck there conspicuously trying to force this big bag of soggy diapers into a small hole just as this cute girl walks past! Yes, done it!!

4. If you don't have time to clean up before leaving for the day, or, there is a little wet patch on the bed or something then just throw the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and then you can leave safely and deal with things later.

Enjoy your travels and be sure to check out new places to buy diapers!

Last edited:

LilChip

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Excellent advice, thank you! I will be travelling excessively this summer and had planned on doing much of what you said, dprpantsnpypants, but I was not sure if I was doing enough. I always put my diapers in grocery bags even at home, so I don't have to "learn" to do that. I would add only one thing: I wear plastic pants to bed over everything because I just sleep better not having to worry about leaks.

plasticman

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Its no big deal tell the Hotel or Motel owners that you have a incontinence problem and will be bringing, with you your pads and pants, and your bed pads.
They will proberly make sure your room as a fitted plastic/Rubber mattress cover and possibly protective sheets top and bottom and may be protective pillow cases.
I find it a lot better than calling down in the morning to report a wet bed and asking for a change of sheets etc, and then getting charged for a wet mattress or something, which can cost a small fortune, so tell them, that you are incontinent and require a mattress cover for your bed. have a good time on holiday.
A friend of ours worked for a very large hotel company in GB, and she said that travelling salesmen or the worst for wetting their beds, they ring down and say they have spilt coffee on the sheets, but they know whats happened, so they wait until he is the reception area, and shout out to him, in front of his friends, that there wont be any charges for the two wet beds this week, but any further wetting will cost £25 + VAT.
I always inform my hotels or holiday cottages that I am incontinent at night and will require a plastic mattress cover on my bed, plus pillow cases, I have never been charged for this service I think the owners are pleased that you are saving them money and time, plus I always take my pads and pants and bed pads with me just in case.

rio20090

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Bring gallon ziploc bags. Put the wet diaper in a ziploc and put it in the bathroom wastebasket.

- - - Updated - - -

There's good advice at this blog post:

http://bedwettingmom.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/travel/

One of the best ideas she has is to order diapers on line for delivery to your hotel before you arrive. You don't have to carry a lot of diapers with you on the flight. Just tell the hotel that you expect a delivery and ask them to hold it for your arrival.

Another good idea is to bring a plastic pad and put a hotel towel over it as a bed pad. If your diaper leaks to the towel, rinse out the wet spot and hang it to dry. No need to bring a bed pad. Bring a plastic pant to contain small leaks.

I've never told a hotel that I wet the bed. There's no need. Even though I am a very heavy wetter, I'm careful not get the mattress wet.

The blog ("Bedwetting Mom" - http://bedwettingmom.wordpress.com/) is by a woman in her 30s who wets the bed. It's excellent -- frank and thoughtful with good advice on a lot of things.

ultrapampers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
As long as you wrap the diaper properly (rolled into itself then taped closed), I see no reason to double-bag it or clandestinely dispose of it elsewhere. Just place it into the bathroom trash and be sure to leave a nice tip for your housekeeper.

BabyFoxDK

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
As long as you wrap the diaper properly (rolled into itself then taped closed), I see no reason to double-bag it or clandestinely dispose of it elsewhere. Just place it into the bathroom trash and be sure to leave a nice tip for your housekeeper.

Seeing as even just wet diapers can get pretty raunchy within a few hours, I'd recommend at least putting it in a bin bag and close it tightly.

P

PyjamaBaby

I haven't worn in hotels many times, but have a few times recently.

I wear Abena m4's which I trust and know won't leak. Therefore I feel no need to tell the hotel. I bag them in dog poop scoop bags (slightly bigger than baby diaper bags) and leave them in the trash can. As ultrapampers says, you should wrap them properly. Nobody has ever said anything to me.

Good idea to tip the housekeeping staff though.

rio20090

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
You have to seal a wet diaper in a bag. The urine starts to break down (and stink) as soon as air hits it, even if it's trapped in the diaper. Also, a wet diaper is unsanitary. Making housekeeping directly handle it is simply rude and disgusting.

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
You have to seal a wet diaper in a bag. The urine starts to break down (and stink) as soon as air hits it, even if it's trapped in the diaper. Also, a wet diaper is unsanitary. Making housekeeping directly handle it is simply rude and disgusting.

^This...

For this reason I carry a number of sanitary disposal bags with me when I travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there normally I lurk but this is something I'm concerned about. I will be traveling soon and thus staying in a hotel. My concern is how do I deal with the used diapers? I'm assuming I just notify the front desk, but I'd like to hear some experience with this. Thanks!

I travel a lot for both business and pleasure... this includes a lot of hotel visits around the world.
Due to my IC & Bedwetting this is something I have been dealing with forever...

Now to this very day I have NOT (and I see no reason I ever should) told anyone at the front desk or the hotel in general about my IC issues.
I simply don't see any need to share that info with the hotel personal.

Now there's a few things to consider ...
- a LOT of hotels these days already have some type of hygiene mattress protector on the mattress... these are waterproof.

- if the hotel doesn't have one you can either ask for one (if you want to ) or you can bring your own... (I carry a smaller waterproof thing in my suitcase for business trips: http://www.saveexpress.de/de/inkontinenz-mehrweg/bettartikel-bed-accessories/bettunterlage-bettauflage/2934/jh.bettschutz-aus-folie-120x90cm?c=2568)... This way you will be sure to have one.
(at home I have a super comfortable modern laminated pu-type breathable cover... but if it gets wet it needs washing & drying... the plastic pad isn't comfy but it can be shower-washed and dried in minutes.)

- wear good diapers and get good at putting them on correctly (I guess after 34 years in diapers, pads, etc... I have mastered that craft ;) ).
I also don't drink large quantities before bed time and limit alcohol and coffee, etc... this way my IC is quite manageable ... I also use the toilet before I go to bed. this way I get by very well with a thinner diaper.
The number of times I experience diaper leaks is actually like twice a year or so.

- alternatively to the plastic bed cover: I put on a THIN microfiber cloth pull-on diaper (I make them myself) OVER the disposable and cover this with a PU-type plastic pant (I hate PVC type pants...).
Whilst I generally don't like to put on any type of additional plastic pant and find that a plastic pant alone (just over the diaper) is of absolutely no use at all, this method though can VERY effectively deal with leaks.
When I travel "light weight" this is my go to option... often also ditching the disposable completely and use the microfiber dipers + pu pant exclusively... as this way I can with a few items basically pack quite light and go on for a long time...
As long as I can facilitate some washing / quick drying (the great thing about diapers made from microfiber towels (you can get them at trekking / outdoor shops) is that they are VERY quick to dry).

With all this, in all the time I had to deal with this, I have not a single "fail" to report...
And so far in over a hundred nights at hotels I had not a single issue with my disposable diapers (I bag them up though).

ultrapampers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Making housekeeping directly handle it is simply rude and disgusting.

I wasn't suggesting you leave it on the nightstand. I really don't see how placing a properly rolled-up diaper in the wastebasket (which has a liner) is disgusting nor unsanitary nor rude. If you've ever noticed, the housekeeping staff are always wearing rubber gloves, and they simply pick up the wastebasket and dump the whole thing or they pull out the bag and dump that in their large trash can. They are never touching the contents of the wastebasket.

I prefer my diaper dry so won't comment on the smell other than to say if your urine is reeking after a few hours in a trash can, you probably should drink more water.

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I wasn't suggesting you leave it on the nightstand. I really don't see how placing a properly rolled-up diaper in the wastebasket (which has a liner) is disgusting nor unsanitary nor rude. If you've ever noticed, the housekeeping staff are always wearing rubber gloves, and they simply pick up the wastebasket and dump the whole thing or they pull out the bag and dump that in their large trash can. They are never touching the contents of the wastebasket.

I prefer my diaper dry so won't comment on the smell other than to say if your urine is reeking after a few hours in a trash can, you probably should drink more water.

Have you never wondered, why some toilets (espeically shared toilets) have sanitary disposal bags available?? (well they're for sanitary napkins and other such items - too small for diapers - but the concept's the same.
as mentioned by a previous poster here, the tied bags help to prevent stinking up the place.

Also I'd say from experience, cleaning rooms and bathrooms / toilets isn't the nicest line of work, so personally I try to make it as easy for the hard working folks who keep the hotels, toilets, etc clean.

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
  4. Private
My mother used to work as head of housekeeping, she's had more problems with people having incontinence issues and not wanting to 'fess up' to themselves and wear a diaper or some other form of protection. After dealing with several incedents involving ruined matresses (not on my account), she made it policy to have a waterproof washable cover on all of them (really comfy ones too). I've never had a problem just putting a used diaper in the trash can, and there are usually extra liners under the trash bin liner,
What I don't do is put up the DND sign on the door if I'm out for the day, I'd (and they) would rather not have a collection of stinky diapers to clean up that are several days old.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Second the galon ziplocs. Use the ones with the double zips. (usually Freezer type) Just pack a few more of them than diapers. Bag it, press out the air, and zip shut.

Just leave them in the trash can with the rest of the garbage. There's no reason to leave them anywhere else.

If there's no chance of your leaking, don't bother telling anyone. Otherwise let them know and they'll lay down some plastic for you. They shouldn't charge for that. (you could just bring your own mattress cover I too)

Be sure to leave a decent tip ;)

Don't short-change yourself when packing. Pack extra diapers. Murphy happens.

kerry

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
I don't suppose I have much new to add, but I will second some of the things that have already been said.

When I have traveled with diapers--which has been quite a lot in the year since I have been completely incontinent, especially since I began that year with a month-long trip to Europe, I generally need to pack a lot of diapers, as I need several for each day (even though I use the best ones available). When I change in the hotel (probably two diapers each day) I wrap them neatly into themselves and tape them tightly, disposing them in the wastebasket (which is, as someone above noted, always lined). It was a bit embarrassing at first, especially in the little B&B's we stayed in for several days at a time, but I quickly got over that feeling because, well, I had to.

I never worry about bags because I know from my home trash that, with all the water I drink, my diapers do not smell for quite some time. And I have never considered alerting the hotel office: that seems extreme.

Many people BTW have mentioned leaving a good tip and I agree, but that brings up a point I'd like to ask about, as frankly I have never been all that sure and even the internet has contradicting information: what do you consider an appropriate tip for hotel maid service?

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I don't suppose I have much new to add, but I will second some of the things that have already been said.

When I have traveled with diapers--which has been quite a lot in the year since I have been completely incontinent, especially since I began that year with a month-long trip to Europe, I generally need to pack a lot of diapers, as I need several for each day (even though I use the best ones available). When I change in the hotel (probably two diapers each day) I wrap them neatly into themselves and tape them tightly, disposing them in the wastebasket (which is, as someone above noted, always lined). It was a bit embarrassing at first, especially in the little B&B's we stayed in for several days at a time, but I quickly got over that feeling because, well, I had to.

I never worry about bags because I know from my home trash that, with all the water I drink, my diapers do not smell for quite some time. And I have never considered alerting the hotel office: that seems extreme.

Many people BTW have mentioned leaving a good tip and I agree, but that brings up a point I'd like to ask about, as frankly I have never been all that sure and even the internet has contradicting information: what do you consider an appropriate tip for hotel maid service?

Tips...
I think there are not specific rules...
but I handle it like this:
if I travel to say, china - where the monthly wages someone at a mid-upper class hotel (cheap in china for our standards) are VERY low for our standard, I would NOT leave a 50$ tip... that would be too much.
Generally in such cases I usually leave 1-10$ worth of a tip.... just consider that for local market value with 10$ a family can go out an eat dinner.

If I travel in western europe, I usually leave between 20-50$ if I stay for say 2-3+ days.
But that largely also depends on the type of hotel.
If my room costs 150$ per night, 20-40 is in my book quite nice a tip.
If I stay at a hotel that costs 600$ per night (rarely) - I'd say 20$ would be close to an insult. there I tend to leave 60$-100$

Usually I stay within a 10-20% value of one night at the hotel (for the entire trip)... IF I am happy with the service.

I usually do so in the morning of the first or second day.
unless I'm uncertain about the service - then I do it in the last day (or rarely not at all).

blackandgold12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've worn diapers at a hotel once. I just took care of the disposal myself by walking to the ice machine (where there was a trash can) and just tossing the used diaper in there. Worked great!

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Well,

Being ic since birth...

I've traveled for work and pleasure loads!

Stayed at hotels and alike...

I always wear plastic backed diapers...

I always roll them up so small and only plastic on outside...using one side of tapes to hold into a nice small package...

Then just put on trash can...

As for workers/maids handling them...I've never had an issue and even discusse this with my sister in law who manages a large hotel...

The staff handle much worse things than diapers...Kleenex being the worst!

If I have stool, I'd bag it for smell...else it's not unhygienic as urine is steril and if it's wrapped up with only the plastic outer showing its not a big deal...

The staff see this all the time...there are loads of ic people, babies too staying in hotels every day...

It's really not a big deal, and appreciated by the staff to help mitigate any wet beds/sheets...

I myself when traveling for work, my pa always traveled with my anyhow, and handled luggage housing and such...and every one knew of my ic...and my sleepwalking too...as such I always had a nice pul bed cover...

Evenif not ic...I would have myown cover...and blankets too...the comforters and blankets at hotels are nasty...grab a black light sometime and see...

Back on topic...it's really not a big deal!

Now, waking up out of your room...sleepwalking...and obviously not having your room key is an issue...I always had my pa have an extra key...

kerry

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
Tips...
I think there are not specific rules...
but I handle it like this:
if I travel to say, china - where the monthly wages someone at a mid-upper class hotel (cheap in china for our standards) are VERY low for our standard, I would NOT leave a 50$ tip... that would be too much.
Generally in such cases I usually leave 1-10$ worth of a tip.... just consider that for local market value with 10$ a family can go out an eat dinner.

If I travel in western europe, I usually leave between 20-50$ if I stay for say 2-3+ days.
But that largely also depends on the type of hotel.
If my room costs 150$ per night, 20-40 is in my book quite nice a tip.
If I stay at a hotel that costs 600$ per night (rarely) - I'd say 20$ would be close to an insult. there I tend to leave 60$-100$

Usually I stay within a 10-20% value of one night at the hotel (for the entire trip)... IF I am happy with the service.

I usually do so in the morning of the first or second day.
unless I'm uncertain about the service - then I do it in the last day (or rarely not at all).

Thanks for this advice.

You stay in much​ nicer hotels than I do. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.