• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
How much does a new starter usually cost for a 1999 Cadillac Sevile SLS? I have one in my sights on Craigslist that I can pick up for $1000. Thanks!

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Dunno, but my old car it was around $150 CAD for one (I don't remember if that was before or after the $50 you get for returning the old starter for them to rebuild and sell).

It's a cheap fix, if you're willing to replace it yourself.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
At autozone in my area they have 2 available one is like 160 and the other is about 170, the difference is the warranty....

For a grand it must be gold plated, and come with a mechanic to put it on.

S

soren456

At autozone in my area they have 2 available one is like 160 and the other is about 170, the difference is the warranty....

For a grand it must be gold plated, and come with a mechanic to put it on.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And here's some pizza to go with that: :pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza:

DHLA40

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You mean you found a Cadillac SLS for sale on Craigslist for $1000 and it needs a starter, right?

If the Caddy has a 4.6 litre Northstar engine, you will have to remove the intake manifold to replace the starter. It lives in the valley between the cylinder banks, which makes it a time consuming job to replace. You'll need the intake gaskets too because they're made of plastic and neoprene, and aren't very reliable for re-use.I think '99 had a one piece intake manifold which is easier to deal with than the earlier ones.

I'd stay away from that car, if you're actually looking to purchase it.

DotDotDot

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
A 99 Cadillac for $1000 ... I'd be a bit worried about that ...

When I replaced the starter on my car (due to warm start problems), I bought one from a junkyard - almost brand new too! - for $20. I used that for a few days and ended up buying a new one.

The new one won't engage in the cold.

bobbyjeff

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
A starter for an old ragged out Caddy? Hmm....seems about like a fair trade to me ;)

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
If the car is in good shape, I would consider it ONLY if you think you can replace the starter on your own. Link to R&R on starter $1000 is about 1/3 of the price for an average SLS (according to edmunds.com).

Status
Not open for further replies.