Spore

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
So who here plays Spore? I'm addicted to it and i'm at the space stage.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]I have Spore, but felt it to be a major disappointment personally, so I don't play it that much.[/font]

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I also have spore and the only good stage was the space stage. However I can't see how you can "win" the game if your not a carnivore or kill off others. Also getting to the center of the universe was HARD.

SoL was easy at least.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have it but I still find Sims 2 to be more fun for it. Can't wait for Sims 3 to come out, already got my pre-order in XD

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I have it but I still find Sims 2 to be more fun for it. Can't wait for Sims 3 to come out, already got my pre-order in XD

Some people already have Sims 3... It's Spore all over again. :p

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
  3. Private
Spore was WAY TOO EASY. Even getting to the center of the universe wasn't too hard when you had a high level... thing that make you move far... I can't remember the name. I played it on hard, and I still beat it in two days.

justunknown

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I love spore haha I've beaten it twice but i love making new creatures then making them get more advanced. Best game ever.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I love spore haha I've beaten it twice but i love making new creatures then making them get more advanced. Best game ever.

You should try the games Spore ripped off then.. I bet you would enjoy those more.

Role
  1. Private
You should try the games Spore ripped off then.. I bet you would enjoy those more.
Examples?

Do you mean SimLife (the Maxis title from ages ago), or perhaps Creatures?

Those are the only two that immediately come to my mind. And neither of those had the customizability in creature appearance/physics that Spore seems to.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Examples?

Do you mean SimLife (the Maxis title from ages ago), or perhaps Creatures?

Those are the only two that immediately come to my mind. And neither of those had the customizability in creature appearance/physics that Spore seems to.

Each different stage is a different game. The global stage is very much like civilization and the last stage (space) is like all other space RTS games. The only stage where Spore might stand alone is on the cellular stage, but we also got the game Flow and that stage is so small it's on the iPhone I think. I am not saying Spore is bad, I am just saying that there are better games that are pretty much the same thing. It's just that those game's aren't all combined into one.

Spore is a jack of all trades, a master of none.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
So who here plays Spore? I'm addicted to it and i'm at the space stage.

I love Spore, but I haven't played it in awhile. :/ Maybe I will tonight... :)

[font="Calibri,Arial"]I have Spore, but felt it to be a major disappointment personally, so I don't play it that much.[/font]

How is it a disappointment though?

I also have spore and the only good stage was the space stage. However I can't see how you can "win" the game if your not a carnivore or kill off others. Also getting to the center of the universe was HARD.

SoL was easy at least.

Cheat? (I'll be back with a better answer once I actually succeed in doing that. >.>)

I know, right?! I was like, "Let's go!" *3 seconds later* Crap...

I've already got my pre-order in too! >.< Damn them for making us wait longer!!! :'( (Ask anyone who was on IRC at the time. I was practically crying.)

Some people already have Sims 3... It's Spore all over again. :p

:tongue: Oh, whatever. Jealous. :tongue:

Spore was WAY TOO EASY. Even getting to the center of the universe wasn't too hard when you had a high level... thing that make you move far... I can't remember the name. I played it on hard, and I still beat it in two days.

Yes, it's very easy, and repetitive, I can't really deny that...
But how'd you do that? Or do you consider "Beating it" to be getting the highest rank in the Space Stage?

Same here. :) Not the "best game ever" in my eyes, but it's pretty dang great.

Ooh... I should! ^_^

[. . .]

Spore is a jack of all trades, a master of none.

I completely agree. :)

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
I love spore actually, that it is far for repetitive and each new species brings it's own challenges.
I have made it to the center of the Universe on hard with Social, Industrious, and Aggressive societies.

Staying social is the hardest... especially in space and tribes.

Making herbivores is pretty damn hard to, so is staying social and carnivore and scavenging for your food.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
I love spore actually, that it is far for repetitive and each new species brings it's own challenges.
I have made it to the center of the Universe on hard with Social, Industrious, and Aggressive societies.

Staying social is the hardest... especially in space and tribes.

Making herbivores is pretty damn hard to, so is staying social and carnivore and scavenging for your food.

Social is hard as hell...

"Hey, friend! Can you just destroy this guys turrets for us?!"

"Uh... Sure.. Who?"

"Just the ******* Empire."

"Oh, um... Crap... I'm friends with them... >.>"

"Do it, or we won't be friends with you!"

"Oh shit, um..."

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
Social is hard as hell...

"Hey, friend! Can you just destroy this guys turrets for us?!"

"Uh... Sure.. Who?"

"Just the ******* Empire."

"Oh, um... Crap... I'm friends with them... >.>"

"Do it, or we won't be friends with you!"

"Oh shit, um..."

Just keep selling them spice :p

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
I liked being military in space... I eradicated all believers of Spode. It made me happy.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]Mes asked me to elaborate so...

(Note: This is copied and pasted from something I'd already written a week after getting Spore.)

The spore that we got is the same to what spore should have been the same as simcity societies is to a proper simcity game. It's been dumbed down to attract the casual gamer. Compare the early trailers to the Spore we got and it doesn't match up.

This kind of thing is one of the main drawbacks of Nintendo's successes with the Wii and DS. As a result of them, it is not the same world as far as gaming is concerned that it was in 2005 when Spore was announced.

The variety of gamers has changed so much that 99% of people who were gamers before the Wii and DS are now categorised (rightfully or wrongfully) as "hardcore" gamers even those who would have considered themselves casual in 2005. Similarly anyone who goes onto forums to discuss games is included (again rightfully or wrongfully) under the umbrella of "hardcore" gamers by marketing divisions everywhere.

The one thing that they got right is that we want:
  • Games that are long enough to play for a while
  • Good graphics
  • Interesting Storylines
  • Interesting Decisions
  • Variety within the game
  • Online Multiplayer

However we are now far outnumbered by the new casual gamer who want:
  • Something that is cheap
  • Something that can be left under the telly
  • Something that can be played 30 minutes at a time.
  • 4+ multiplayer at the same place

In fact we are so much in the miniority that we are often completely ignored. Spore was changed from targeting us (in 2005, the only market) to targeting casual gamers (now a much larger market than us) because EA values money and a new market more than the old market.

Apart from its dumbing down, my other major problem with Spore is the DRM. It is not okay to allow 5 installs only. Again this affects us (more likely to buy a computer every 2 years and probably have more than one anyway) more compared to casual gamers who buy a new computer when the old one breaks.
However because we all went out and bought Spore, EA will think that people don't care about the 5 installs limit and will keep using it in newer games.

I was so disappointed by Spore that I went out and bought myself a proper game, by finally replacing my broken Simcity 4 disc (it was broken 2 years at this stage).

A final comment:
Every stage has a game that does it better than Spore:

Cell - fl0w
Creature - The Sims?
Tribal - Populus
Civilization - Simcity/Civilization/Pick a RTS
Space - GalCiv
[/font]

Role
  1. Private
5-install limit?

Mmmph. Spore will never grace any computer of mine, then. When I buy something, I want to buy it rather than only lease it temporarily. Or when the lease is "up," I want the refundable portion of my deposit back.

That's upsetting to hear. I wonder how the artists/designers feel about this (most of the time, the game publisher slaps DRM on it and the folks who did the legwork don't get a say)?

Status
Not open for further replies.