Spending 12 days in Maui

EcoIncon

Cloth diaper anyone?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've got a trip to Maui coming up and I need to pack too many diapers to check luggage. I can't find a place in Maui to buy anything but Depends/Store brands and I really don't want to pack cloth (who wants to do laundry on vacation???). Anybody got a good hack to solve this problem?

Reactions: Angelapinks
place an order with whoever you use (northshore, abu, etc) and have it shipped to your hotel. call the hotel and make sure they are aware that you are shipping stuff there.

Hotel name
C/o Hotel guest (your name)
hotel address

Reactions: littlefun, ronnieM, Angelapinks and 1 other person
diapernh said:
place an order with whoever you use (northshore, abu, etc) and have it shipped to your hotel. call the hotel and make sure they are aware that you are shipping stuff there.

Hotel name
hotel address
This.

One thing I do, instead of the C/O, is to put, "Hold for guest(name), arr. 7/15." That way it's got "hold" in the instructions and my arrival date, so I'm easier to find in their registration system.

One final word of advice: I like to pack enough to get me through several days, and order enough that I'll have plenty of extra on the trip. I often end up with my checked luggage full of diapers for the return flight, but if I get stuck for a few extra days for any reason I'm still covered.

Reactions: Angelapinks and EcoIncon
ltaluv said:
This.

One thing I do, instead of the C/O, is to put, "Hold for guest(name), arr. 7/15." That way it's got "hold" in the instructions and my arrival date, so I'm easier to find in their registration system.

One final word of advice: I like to pack enough to get me through several days, and order enough that I'll have plenty of extra on the trip. I often end up with my checked luggage full of diapers for the return flight, but if I get stuck for a few extra days for any reason I'm still covered.
A couple years back I had a trip with the church ladies to Washington DC (they needed some manly men to go with.... not sure why they picked me). I packed a box with about how many diapers I would need, full pack of wipes, full-sized powder, gloves, rash cream, etc.... shipped it to the hotel, then i only needed to have the diaper i had on, and maybe 2 more in case. Granted I am not incontinent, so if they hadn't arrived no big loss.... but they arrived. PLUS did not have to be hassled by TSA about the powder and rash cream... however they did go through my carry on because pooh bear showed up.... which got a chuckle from the church ladies 'aww NH brought his teddy bear'

I have a friend who owned a mailbox store and he says when he travels he packs his clothes up, weighs it, prints the shipping label to and one for the return trip. only has to worry about himself and his carryon. clothes arrive in time, and when he is done with his trip, just boxes them back up, slaps the label on it and has the hotel ship them back

• Wow
Reactions: Soupsoup72, Angelapinks and EcoIncon
diapernh said:
...PLUS did not have to be hassled by TSA about the powder and rash cream... however they did go through my carry on because pooh bear showed up.... which got a chuckle from the church ladies 'aww NH brought his teddy bear'...
I have had TSA lay my incontinence supplies all over the counter (in what I believe is an intentional demonstration of their power) too many times to count. Totally sucks. At least you just had pooh bear and got to have some fun with it.

diapernh said:
I have a friend who owned a mailbox store and he says when he travels he packs his clothes up, weighs it, prints the shipping label to and one for the return trip. only has to worry about himself and his carryon. clothes arrive in time, and when he is done with his trip, just boxes them back up, slaps the label on it and has the hotel ship them back
Good idea... Instead of paying for checked luggage...

Your aloud to travel to Maul?

diapernh said:

Hotel name
hotel address
I did just that when I was vacationing in Honolulu and J.C.Penny delivered to my Sheraton Hotel. It was incontinence underwear and supplies when I was first having night time accidents. I did not want to go through Customs taking supplies with me from Canada.

Reactions: EcoIncon
ltaluv said:
This.

I think that is what I put in my instructions but the girl at J.C.Penny was very helpful. She said visitors to the islands do just that all the time and even arrange for supplies to be shipped to your home address for extras when you get back c/o your local Post Office. This is a great marketing tool for them I am sure.

EcoDL said:
I've got a trip to Maui coming up and I need to pack too many diapers to check luggage. I can't find a place in Maui to buy anything but Depends/Store brands and I really don't want to pack cloth (who wants to do laundry on vacation???). Anybody got a good hack to solve this problem?
Have you been to the Islands before? It was the best 12 days I have ever had in Waikiki and I have been trying to get back there ever since. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been and the people are wonderful.

Angelapinks said:
Have you been to the Islands before? It was the best 12 days I have ever had in Waikiki and I have been trying to get back there ever since. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been and the people are wonderful.
I've been several times to Oahu and have made it to the other major islands. This is the longest trip I've ever been able to make there though and I'm totally looking forward to the people, places and weather. I agree, it's an amazing place!

Veljie said:
Your aloud to travel to Maul?
Hawaii is having records levels of tourism. You can't get a tour or restaurant reservation so many people are going. Not sure how I feel about that...

• Wow
EcoDL said:
Hawaii is having records levels of tourism. You can't get a tour or restaurant reservation so many people are going. Not sure how I feel about that...
I wasn’t aware of that. We are booked for 7 nights in October.

Also have mixed feelings about that.

stldl4 said:
I wasn’t aware of that. We are booked for 7 nights in October.

Also have mixed feelings about that.
Make your tour and dining reservations early!

Aloha 🌺🌺🌺

Many airlines do not charge a baggage fee for a medical bag/device. Check with your airline whether they have a medical bag/device allowance, if it covers incontinence supplies, and if a letter from your doctor is required. If allowed, then pack a bag that contains only medical items (including bed pads, creams, powders, etc.), and check it. Be prepared to open it for inspection, so don't cheat or you'll pay a baggage fee.

I have flown with plenty of diapers (including extras), CPAP, and wheelchair, without paying a baggage fee for them. Suitcase full of diapers got checked. Wheelchair went underneath. CPAP always carried on (I don't use one anymore). And just enough diapers and clothes in my carryon bag to manage through a few days in case luggage went missing.

A few hints for traveling to Hawaii...
It tends to rain frequently during the summer, so be sure to pack diapers and clothes in large trash bags within your cases. This will keep them keep them dry, in case your luggage is being unloaded during a heavy downpour. Clear trash bags are best as they can be seen through, but white works almost as well. You can then use the trash bags to transport your dirty laundry home, without soiling your case(s). (The red mud of Maui really stains)

Think carefully how you will be managing your incontinence through the day. Schedule, lack of public facilities in remote areas, exposure to water, etc., may require modification to your normal routine.

Think about taking a folding soft case for clothes, incontinence supplies, or both. After using up most or all of your incontinence supplies you can combine the contents of the two cases, fold the unused bag, and put it inside the other for the return trip. You have a luggage fee, but you're dealing with one less suitcase. (I typically take a soft case for diapers.)
Think about taking nesting suitcases. After using up most or all of your incontinence supplies you can nest the cases for the return flight. You have a luggage fee, but you're dealing with one less suitcase.
Or, after using up most or all of your incontinence supplies, you will have a case that can be used for bringing back all your souvenirs! But you will be paying a luggage fee for it.

Maui is not Oahu... it has some nice restaurants, but it is still much more laid back than Honolulu. It's easy to overdress and therefore overpack.

Have a great Vacation!

• Love
Reactions: WillFord384, Angelapinks and EcoIncon
CheshireCat said:
Aloha 🌺🌺🌺

Many airlines do not charge a baggage fee for a medical bag/device. Check with your airline whether they have a medical bag/device allowance, if it covers incontinence supplies, and if a letter from your doctor is required. If allowed, then pack a bag that contains only medical items (including bed pads, creams, powders, etc.), and check it. Be prepared to open it for inspection, so don't cheat or you'll pay a baggage fee.

I have flown with plenty of diapers (including extras), CPAP, and wheelchair, without paying a baggage fee for them. Suitcase full of diapers got checked. Wheelchair went underneath. CPAP always carried on (I don't use one anymore). And just enough diapers and clothes in my carryon bag to manage through a few days in case luggage went missing.

A few hints for traveling to Hawaii...
It tends to rain frequently during the summer, so be sure to pack diapers and clothes in large trash bags within your cases. This will keep them keep them dry, in case your luggage is being unloaded during a heavy downpour. Clear trash bags are best as they can be seen through, but white works almost as well. You can then use the trash bags to transport your dirty laundry home, without soiling your case(s). (The red mud of Maui really stains)

Think carefully how you will be managing your incontinence through the day. Schedule, lack of public facilities in remote areas, exposure to water, etc., may require modification to your normal routine.

Think about taking a folding soft case for clothes, incontinence supplies, or both. After using up most or all of your incontinence supplies you can combine the contents of the two cases, fold the unused bag, and put it inside the other for the return trip. You have a luggage fee, but you're dealing with one less suitcase. (I typically take a soft case for diapers.)
Think about taking nesting suitcases. After using up most or all of your incontinence supplies you can nest the cases for the return flight. You have a luggage fee, but you're dealing with one less suitcase.
Or, after using up most or all of your incontinence supplies, you will have a case that can be used for bringing back all your souvenirs! But you will be paying a luggage fee for it.

Maui is not Oahu... it has some nice restaurants, but it is still much more laid back than Honolulu. It's easy to overdress and therefore overpack.

Have a great Vacation!

Mahalo for all the tips! Aloha!

You yanks are allowee to travel? Here downunder we are under state level lockdown we can't leave our cities let alone travel across any oceans....

Reactions: EcoIncon and Angelapinks
Veljie said:
You yanks are allowee to travel? Here downunder we are under state level lockdown we can't leave our cities let alone travel across any oceans....
Canadian borders still closed to tourist traffic and land borders don't open till August but the numbers of infected are still higher than Canada so we are trying to stay safe for now. I will not be traveling far this year until I feel safer.

The wife and I are fully vaccinated, and are getting to take a scuba diving trip to Belize next month. Considering the last vacation we took was 2018, I'm really looking forward to this.

• Love
Reactions: EcoIncon and Angelapinks
AnalogRTO said:
The wife and I are fully vaccinated, and are getting to take a scuba diving trip to Belize next month. Considering the last vacation we took was 2018, I'm really looking forward to this.
We wanted to go back to England last year but put it off until later but now I think it may not be until next year. I wanted to visit my mothers sister who would turn 100 but she and I both missed the mark and she passed away shortly after her 99 birthday. Not many family members in the UK that I remember now but a few cousins I talk with on the computer once in awhile. We have only seen photo's online and they are a bit younger than myself.

• Sad
Veljie said:
Would kill to come back to your country. Lived in Brisbane for a while when I was younger. Technically I'm not leaving the country even though the flight is 8 hours.

Back