Speech Impediments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
This is something I've been meaning to ask on here, but never got around to doing. I have a mild speech impediment that I have never gotten help for because it isn't major, but it does annoy the heck out of me. I have the "whistling S" impediment. I cannot make a proper s sound. There is always a slight whistle or unnecessary extension of the s.I actually didn't realize that I wasn't doing it right until seventh grade and people kept asking me to say "Mississippi". So I was wondering two things:

One, is there a way to fix this, without going to a speech class? I know its not major, but I catch a lot of flak over it and I hate the way my s sounds..

Two, does anyone else have a speech impediment, and if so, what is it and what are you doing about it?

I used to have another one that I corrected a long time ago. Don't know whats it called, but I used to pronounce "L" as a form of "W". I think both of those impediments are pretty common though..

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I don't have any speech advice, but I do have a kind of speech impediment that I only realised was actually a real thing fairly recently.

I can't remember the posh long word for it, but basically if asked a question I can't help but say "errrr" before answering! According to something I saw on TV, it's to do with filling in the silence (thinking time) between a question being asked, and an answer being given.
Although it only happens with people I don't feel totally comfortable with.
I tested this out, one time I rang for pizza and consciously tried to not say "errrr" once. I couldn't do it!

It's extremely minor, but it does annoy me because it makes me seem unsure of what I'm saying.

"Is he going to die or not?!!"
"Errrrrr... He'll live."

Not very reassuring is it?

But my super-power is not being aware of speech impediments. I knew this guy who stutters for years and years without noticing! It wasn't until someone mentioned it to me that I ever realised.
And now I hear him stutter all the time...

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Well, I can't help you with fixing your speech impediment. But since you asked, I don't have a speech impediment myself, at least not anymore. I had a lisp when I was a kid, though, and had to go to speech therapy from first to third grade (or something like that... I don't remember exactly how long it took, to be honest, but that seems about right) to get rid of it.

In a way, it was kind of nice, because it got me out of class once a week, but at the same time, it was a little embarrassing, since they didn't usually start speech therapy until halfway through whatever class I happened to be in, so I'd have to leave partway through, and I was pretty sure everyone was watching me and thinking I'd done something bad and was being sent to the principal's office. At any rate, though, it was worth it, because it fixed the problem, and I now don't even remember exactly which kind of lisp it was, since there's like three different kinds, if I recall correctly.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I can't help ya, just try thinking about it and practicing by yourself, maybe?

I don't have a speech impidement, although I noticed that when I get real excited and I talk super-fast my words seem to blend into eachother and I get all tongue tied... but that could be pretty common, not too sure.

But just talking like I normally do my speech is fine.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't have a speech problem (that I know of), but if you really want to get rid of it, then take a speech class...Some impediments you can't get rid of though, at least not without some kind of dental work...

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I am unable to pronounce "th". It comes out as "f" or "v". Also, when I was younger I pronounced "r" and "l" as "w", and I still do that when I get over excited. With "th" and "f/v" I can't here the difference and thinking about where I should put my tongue and lips every time I have to say "th" (remembering that the is the most common word in English) is to much hassle. I got two speech therapy sessions but the waiting list was 6 months between each session so they were stopped.

If you want to stop it, and you can here the difference you just need to practice. I know some stuff about phonetics and could probably teach you what to do to get rid of it, but I'd need to meet you face to face to do that and that isn't going to happen.

Also, I think I'm like Charlie in that I don't notice speech impediments unless they are pointed out to me.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I am unable to pronounce "th". It comes out as "f" or "v".
Join zee Germahns in being unable to pronouce a th - sometimes, local people's attempts to speak English make me crack up.

I had a speed impediment until I started elementary school - a rather annoying and embarrassing one. I couldn't pronounce a "k" (or "c" in English). That's especially annoying as my very own name starts with a "K" and I went 6 years without being able to say my own name correctly...or should I say: "torrettly"? :D

Peachy

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Oh yeah...I used to pronounce "three" as "free" for a year or two...Then I was told it was wrong, and I managed to change

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
My younger brother had the same problems with some letters, and he just grew out of it, and as far as the eer thing, there was a guy that used to say aaah before everthing, he didn't turn out to bad. it was John F Kennedy....

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
I have one too, I'm unable to pronounce TH or L sound, and everytime I try to make those sound, it came off as something else like a F or W sound. I took speech class in school to help the problem but it didn't help and I think it make it worse. It suck, because you get make fun of and it turn you into a social outcast which lead more problems that I have now:frown:.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Pojo said:
Oh yeah...I used to pronounce "three" as "free" for a year or two...Then I was told it was wrong, and I managed to change
My little cousin did something similar when pronouncing my older cousins name. I won't say her name, but it started with an Sh. I guess it was hard to say, cause my little cousin pronounced it "tree". :) If you can guess the name from that(which I doubt you can), then please don't blurt it out.

Charlie: If you only do that when your around people you don't feel comfortable with, then maybe its not a speech impediment at all.. it could just be a nerves thing. Everybody does something when their nervous. But that's not to say that it isn't a speech impediment..

Add on to my OP: It slipped my mind when I wrote my first post, but I can say certain words containing "s" properly.. It seems that only certain combinations of "s" and another letter are the ones I tend to screw up on. For instance, I can say "sh" correctly..

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
If you have the "s" problem, it may be more a teeth problem than a speech problem. I sometimes do it, and it feels like teeth, which have shifted as I got older. Have you been checked for needing braces, not that anyone wants them.

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
I don't know much on how to help with it, but I've been told that I kinda-sorta have a lisp when I get excited. XD

By the way, who decided that the word "lisp" should be spelled with an s? It's cruel, I tell ya! XD

Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
I used to have a few. Back when I was in second and third grade I had to get speech lessons in school because I couldn't pronounce "th" (I believe I said it as an "s" sound) and I also had trouble with "r" sounds (pronounced them as "L") which was unlucky considering that my name is loaded with R's.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
If you have the "s" problem, it may be more a teeth problem than a speech problem. I sometimes do it, and it feels like teeth, which have shifted as I got older. Have you been checked for needing braces, not that anyone wants them.
It's caused by a lazy tongue, and a small mouth, I think.

Role
Private
I believe I have one, which has come about in recent times.

I've never had a problem with speech before, but I've realised lately that I've been talking way to quickly for my own good. It happens usually when I'm in an active state and my mind has ti play catch up to my tongue. I'll say the first couple words of a sentence, then for some reason just stop because I've got a mental block, so I'll start the sentence again once I've had a second to think about it.

It comes out as, "I don't know..... I don't know what the problem is".

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yes, I had difficulty speaking correctly when I was younger. I am not sure when I started speech therapy, but I am pretty sure it was 1st and 2nd grade. You should not take a "speech class" to correct this. Speech class is for public speaking. What you want is a face to face meeting with someone seriously willing to help you. My speech therapist showed me how to move my lips and mouth to make each sound correctly, then had me practice often. This is what you should try to do. Watch the person's jaw and lips very closely to imitate the motion. Also, try to have them describe what their tongue is doing when they do the sound. Once you can make that sound correctly, the next step is to practice saying words with that sound in it. This will work best if someone else is listening to you for correct pronunciation and is willing to correct you when mistakes happen. After you get the sounds learned, try to practice until it is natural without requiring thought.

Little children usually have difficulty with some sounds, but usually grow out of it. Every toddler that I have heard say my name has pronounce it "Germy"! Then again, if you do not talk much for a long time, it is possible to have problems again. Don't ask how I know.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
my mother is 58 and cannot pronounced the word "sixth" no matter how hard she tries. it always comes out as "sikths."

i have a friend who has excellent speech except for his habit of stopping and taking a breath in the middle of words -- sometimes even in the middle of an "m" or "n" sound -- and then picking up the word again where he left off. he says it's because of asthma.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I don't think I have one, but I still had to go to speech class. Was it an s problem, or an l? I don't know anymore. Probably s. But it wasn't a lisp! All I got from it was pretzels and red hots, and learned a card game.

Besides that, I have somewhat of a stutter, but only when I'm around new people.

Status
Not open for further replies.