Sony has holograms

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
you have to see it to believe it. Sony finally mastered the hologram and they made a demo by unleashing Nessy in the Tokyo Bay. A huge 15m Holographic Monster. This could’ve been a huge hype machine for Cloverfield, but damn - Sony just owned everything. This looks 20 years in the future. How will they adapt this technology? Will it be in gaming? Who knows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHDT8cfY6jA

Me personally just want to share this because its awsome but it has me wondering do any of you think this could be aplied to gaming? How awsome would it be to play out some of the boss battles in real time life size?:smile1:

Last edited:
Role
Private
Silly Japanese and their oversized sea-monsters.

But as for the technology, that's just awesome! Not since Back to the Future 2 have I seen such a good hologram. >_<

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Hmm, that's quite huge... and awesome! Maybe a smaller form really will somehow end up in gaming eventually.

We may eventually be controlling games with our minds rather than controllers. I just saw an article about it recently, but now I can't find it.

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Well the thing could have moved a bit more, but still very impressive.

As for gaming, I think we're going to need a bigger room to play in.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Amazing!
I saw holograms only in games and fiction, but finally it's true. Now I'm waiting for hologram movies.

ScubaSteve

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
That is Kinda cool! It will be cool to see what they do with it.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Nooo, they definitely won't make games with holograms, it would cost waaaaaay too much money to make. Movies might work, though, but the visual quality isn't very good so computer-made special effects work better.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
OMG. Yes, yes, yes. A thousand times yes. Oh wait, I don't have blue ray and my hd hologram projector won't play blu-ray 3d holograms. Oh noes. Remember last time Microsoft was behind the emergence of a clone army ( foresee this, IBM did not...) and now Sony is making rebel hologram projector tech... I sense a ripple in the force. Microsoft is eying Google suspiciously and is trying to buy Yahoo (which looks like it is going to turn hostile)... While Sony sneakily develops into a threat... and on a moon hidden at the dark side of Endor Apple and Sony enter into what will become a rebel alliance against the republic of Microsoft... People have forgotten Microsoft was once seduced to the dark side and is biding its time... Remember the empire's death star plans were hacked, and R2 units plainly were built by unhackable Apple...

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Nooo, they definitely won't make games with holograms, it would cost waaaaaay too much money to make. Movies might work, though, but the visual quality isn't very good so computer-made special effects work better.
Two thinks:
Mass production - Everyone would want these things
Over time the components will drop in value.

I'm a little sceptical on how it works.

By the looks of things there is a projector, yet what is the image being reflected/shone on? Just plain Air?

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Seems kind of fake to me, since holographs are pretty much impossible by today's standards. Unless you use a spinning screen to create depth of field.

If it's displayed on mist, than that sounds a little more reasonable. Something like shining a flashlight onto a campfire to creat a lightsaber effect.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Yes they used mist but in the long run thats not all that hard to recreate on a small scale yeah i don't see this meathod being used for videos games(although i wouldn't be suprised to see it on that billionaire play things show) It would be quite easy to make a self contained mist chamber to make it usable for movies. IN the long run i don't see this becoming big but its a good step in the right direction.

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
It's not a hologram; it's water-screen projection.
But on *that* scale, it's still bloody impressive!

Role
Private
Hope I don't ruin anyones hops but this is not a hologram. Before the projector starts up, a waterjet can be seen shooting out a wide spray of water; the projector then shoots the image onto this artificial sceen to creat the illusion of a hologram.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I saw the water spray and though, ah, reflecting it off the mist. But I thought it was part of the film. With the monster coming out of the water.

But yeah, not a true hologram.

i thought of a way to produce an illusion of creating a 3d TV. But the idea has already been patented! *gasp* Why hasn't one been made? It basically needs an LCD with ridiculously fast response times. talking nanoseconds. even if you do cheat and use monochromatic plates. Not only that, but each pixel will need its own lens...

In-fact there are several similar devices. I have the documents of them on my school network. I'll post them on Monday if you want to look.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
is it actually 3d though?
also, i think our venture into nanotechnology will help pave the way for more universal hologram projector.

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
Hope I don't ruin anyones hops but this is not a hologram. Before the projector starts up, a waterjet can be seen shooting out a wide spray of water; the projector then shoots the image onto this artificial sceen to creat the illusion of a hologram.
Plz see:
It's not a hologram; it's water-screen projection.
But on *that* scale, it's still bloody impressive!
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.