Songs with powerful/meaningful lyrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Asher

One of my personal favorite songs that has extremely powerful lyrics is Iron and Wine's "The Trapeze Swinger." The song covers both love and hate, life and death, and it has many biblical allusions to combine everything together into a beautifully woven song.

Youtube - Trapeze Swinger

- Asher

E

Error404

David Rovics - (Talking to you from here at) The End Of The World.

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Carer
My favorite lyric of all time (and I've listened to a lot of music, so this is a personal choice for what it means to me) is from Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock."

"These angels with their wings glued on
They are frightened and they're scared
If you don't stare."

It means so much to me about the goth lifestyle, or about hypocrites trying to seem pious for the adulation...

It was the lyric that led me to realize that the goth lifestyle is no better than, say, Britney Spears. It's a look-driven lifestyle that relies on a facade to relate to the outside world. They are both after the same thing, they just go about it in different ways.

I haven't been to Hot Topic (or any "real" local alternative look store) with my chick ever since. :) I don't need to try that hard or rely on something to speak for me.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
"Handlebars" by the Flobots, while it's a bit of an annoying song, has quite a lot to say, and it gives me chills whenever I hear it.

MyLastWords

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
Same.

Once again, I'm going to have to go with Blind Guardian, my favorite band that no body else knows. This is Another Holy War. YouTube - Blind Guardian - Another Holy War

*Jumps up and down waving arms*

I know Blind Guardian, learned of them during my power metal phase. I also know that song, and I'd definately agree with you that they're powerful.

My own personal favourite powerful song is Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss, and also Cats in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe - used to make me cry when I was little.

LittleMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
My own personal favourite powerful song is Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss, and also Cats in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe - used to make me cry when I was little.

Agh, I love Pearl Jam's Last Kiss. And I like Cat's in the Cradle, although not by Ugly Kid Joe. I like Harry Chapin's version more.

Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton is a tearjerker, so are Holes in the Floor of Heaven by Collin Raye and Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World. Gravedigger by the Dave Matthews Band struck a chord with me since I was a kid, very haunting but beautiful lyrically. .

A new find of mine is this (fairly-unknown) song called Run Away With Me. It was written for a musical, but the lyrics are beautiful. YouTube - Michael Arden - "Run Away With Me"

Xane

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
Pink Floyd's Goodbye Blue Sky for me.

And Journey's Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)

Two songs I believe are real powerful.

MyLastWords

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
I'd forgotten, but I'll add most Mignight Oil songs to this list as well. Beds are Burning and Blue Sky Mine both give me goosebumps, Truganini as well. Pretty much all of the 20,000 watt RSL album are really powerful songs.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
  3. Private
*Jumps up and down waving arms*

I know Blind Guardian, learned of them during my power metal phase. I also know that song, and I'd definately agree with you that they're powerful.

Finally!!! My life is complete. Thank you. Now I can die in peace... Well, maby not. You are honestly the first person I've heard acknoledge their pressence. I've posted about them like 5 other times in music threads and everyone ignores it.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Finally!!! My life is complete. Thank you. Now I can die in peace... Well, maby not. You are honestly the first person I've heard acknoledge their pressence. I've posted about them like 5 other times in music threads and everyone ignores it.

Blind Guardian are great. I mean, what other band chooses to write songs that use up all 128 audio tracks of their recording capability?

S

soren456

Almost anything by Leonard Cohen.

Particularly Hallelujah.

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
In no order of prefference, some of my favourite songs with the best lyrics I can think of.

1-You can't always get what you want - Rolling Stones

2-Frightened - The Fall

3-Bittersweet Symhpony - The Verve

4-Evil - Interpol

5-Novelty - Joy Division

6- No suprises - Radiohead

7- Switch - Siouxsie and the banshees

8- I want to conquer the world - Bad Religion

9- Inbetweeen Days - The Cure

10- Life on Mars - David Bowie

B

Butterfly Mage

"The Revealing Science of God", Yes.
"Socioparasite", Type-O Negative.
"The Celebration of the Lizard", The Doors.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
  3. Private
Blind Guardian are great. I mean, what other band chooses to write songs that use up all 128 audio tracks of their recording capability?

2 people on one day... I'm so happy... I'm tearing up.

I just saw "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog" and it was filled with powerfull lyrics. It's really long though. Her's the link. Hulu - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

And for thoes who don't want to watch the whole thing, you should still watch the last song. It's spine tingling. Here's some basic info if your skipping to the end.

YouTube - Dr Horrible Finale

Siege89

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Well there are so many songs that seem to be moving/powerful. Easyer to name the bands.

Linkin Park, I find most if not all there songs to be moving/powerful in some way another. Some of there highlights would be:

No More Sorrow
Easier to Run
Somewhere I Belong
Numb

Eminem, I like almsot all his songs, I find them to be very funny, But then he has a few that jsut seem to really hit home:

Stan
Like Toy Soldiers
Mockingbird
With Out Me

Latly I have found my self liking Marilyn Manson, He has some very odd music videos, but the lyrisc I found to be so.... well I cant think of hte right word for this but yeah

Coma White
I dont like hte drugs, but the drugs like me

I also love the band nightwish they have so many greats songs, but I think bye far the best are

Bye Bye Beautiful
Nemo
Amaranth
Over the hills and far away

Status
Not open for further replies.