Some Diaps Thicker Than Others

Poofybutt

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
So, I'm unwinding for the evening, in baby mode for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'm wearing a Kiddo, but for some reason the one I picked out and put on seems thicker than the other ones in the pack and a fair deal thicker than any of the other Kiddos I've worn in the past.

Now, the cynic could say that after a couple of weeks of not wearing, I've forgotten just how thick Kiddos are, but I don't think so. To be honest, I haven't found Kiddos significantly thicker than other ABU brands and I've even compared the one I'm in to others from the same pack and this one just seems to have a little extra poof.

Is it possible for some diapers in the pack to have lucked out and gotten a little extra fluff or stuffing?

I mean, it makes sense to me, considering these are assembly line made, there must be a few diaper anomalies that make it into a pack every now and then. I also remember once in a pack of Cushies getting a diaper that had extra fluff along the left wing, so I'm pretty sure this Kiddo maybe got a little extra stuffing on the assembly line. I'm certainly not complaining :D

So how about you all, have you wound up getting packs where some of the diapers were noticeably thicker than others?

Diaper weights do vary a little bit inside a pack, but they're usually pretty close. Diapers are manufactured from very long rolls of material, which is usually pretty consistent.

Maybe one of them just got more "fluffed up" after you opened the pack? A precision scale (food scales work well) can be used to weigh a diaper pretty accurately. Diapers that I've weighed can vary a bit - one of the heavier premiums might weigh 7.2 oz on the average, with some going down to 7.0oz while others get up to 7.4oz. That's about as extreme as I've seen it though.

And yes I've seen diapers with padding defects, sometimes bits of padding that got somewhere in the wing area before the top sheet was glued down, and other times where (sometimes large) chunks of padding were very thin or missing entirely in the main padded area. (most often in the back?) I've had bags and cases were defects were more common, but nothing too severe, as far as padding was concerned anyway. A few times I've dealt with bags or cases where there were consistent tape defects though. (the whole litany... stuck down wrong, at an angle, tapes peeled up and stuck down somewhere random, moved up or down, MISSING, etc)

bambinod said:
... consistent tape defects though. (the whole litany... stuck down wrong, at an angle, tapes peeled up and stuck down somewhere random, moved up or down, MISSING, etc)

Missing a tape? 0.o Was that one unfortunate circumstance or were there more than one diaper in a batch like that?

FloofyWolf said:
Missing a tape? 0.o Was that one unfortunate circumstance or were there more than one diaper in a batch like that?

Bambino had a problem for a few months where the lower left tape had problems... it was either way too close to the upper tape, attached at an angle (up over 45 degrees) or was just plain not there. An issue with their machine's adjustment I'm sure. I saw maybe half a dozen where the lower and upper tapes were less than an inch apart, and at least three where it was completely missing.

Kiddos are towards the upper end of the previous generation of Diapers to these new "Ultra" diapers that seems to have started with PeekABU (if I'm not mistaken) and then spread to MyDiaper Ultra (basically an attempt to make their own version of PeekABU) , and then NorthShore Mega Max.

While Kiddos may not be the thickest, they are pretty good all around (relatively thick, front and rear waistband, quite absorbent, and I am really digging the 2 tapes instead of 4) and with Goodnites (or something similar) as a Stuffer, they last a while, they absorb so much and get really thick.

I have never had any major problems with any of my orders of diapers yet, thank goodness as it would ruin the enjoyment of it (as I'm not IC and wear for stress relief/enjoyment)

What is the thickest diaper going?

Chances are the kiddo diaper you had stored was at the top of a partially empty bag, or otherwise left in an area that let it re-expand. See, all diapers get compressed for packaging. If you leave them out then they will self expand over time. And you did say it had been a couple of weeks.

Back