Socialization Among Different Groups

KimbaWolfNagihiko

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Something that I have sort-of struggled with in the areas of friendship and socialization is where a person should draw the line when it comes to associating with certain people. In my mind, the ideal companions are those of similar interests, intellect, and values. I have high standards by which I judge people, but it can be hard to be a good judge of character - and people of good character seem to be of such short supply nowadays.

But what about people who do not match these criteria? Such as people whose opinions on important topics vary greatly from your own, or even more slightly, but enough to make you feel kind of uncomfortable. How far can a person go before they start eroding their own sense of morality?

What is OK for a friend level, or an acquaintance level? Is it OK to be a fan of a famous or semi-famous person like this (like a YouTuber), or to support them, such as by purchasing their goods? Are other people's perceptions of someone something that should be followed?

I know it's kind of a multi-layered question, and by asking it I might come across as somewhat bigoted. But with people skills not being my strong suit, the whole thing is rather hard for me to grasp.

ltaluv

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I find value in differences, but my closest friends all tend to have social and political viewpoints fairly close to mine. It's easier and more comfortable to be around like-minded people.

If you really think someone is immoral, then perhaps you shouldn't be with them, or support them if they're a celebrity. It really comes down to your item comfort level - if you think that they're eroding your morality, then it's time to step back from that relationship.

I don't think there's any lack of people of good character, and certainly not at more than there ever has been. It's always required time and care to find good friends.

trysexiea

Mysterious
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I find value in differences, but my closest friends all tend to have social and political viewpoints fairly close to mine. It's easier and more comfortable to be around like-minded people.

If you really think someone is immoral, then perhaps you shouldn't be with them, or support them if they're a celebrity. It really comes down to your item comfort level - if you think that they're eroding your morality, then it's time to step back from that relationship.

I don't think there's any lack of people of good character, and certainly not at more than there ever has been. It's always required time and care to find good friends.
And also never expect to have too many Real friends, real friends it's something rare to find, false friends it's very simple to find sadly.

trysexiea

Mysterious
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Socialization what is that xD this need to go outside but I don't like to go outside Haha.

otherwise I think it's important to have some friends with a different idea than you this help to improve yourself and the other part if you don't have any to contradict you, you can't evolve in your ideas. (Yes surely if someone doesn't accept my trans identity in this case I can't do nothing for him.)

For the YouTuber or celebrity part is different because to be a real friends with this type of people it's very complicated, and generally you are a friend for communication (a friend for the picture) it's like "I friends with all my fan" (but in reality he doesn't care of you)
So if you think this person want to manipulate you, the best to do is to simply stop all contacts with it.
and some celebrity like too particularly to manipulate woman you can surely imagine why, sadly.

Last edited:

Evahasgone2

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think variety is the spice of life, and whatever happened to opposites attract ? I think indifference is ideal amongst friends. It's good to hear what the other side thinks !!

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I've noticed that with the friends I have, we do seem to have a lot of similar things in common. I think that's a natural thing to have happen. For me, educational similarities seem to be important. Maybe it's because you talk with your friends and there needs to be some sort of common ground.

Drifter

Contributor
Role
Private
How far can a person go before they start eroding their own sense of morality?
This question implies morality is subjective, which a lot of people believe. If that's the case, everyone decides for themselves how far they want to go and how much 'erosion' of one's own moral values is acceptable. My question for you is, would it be better to replace "eroding" with "evolving" in your question?
people of good character seem to be of such short supply nowadays.
You can always find at least one person of good character everywhere you go, if you are that person. :p

daylight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
Something that I have sort-of struggled with in the areas of friendship and socialization is where a person should draw the line when it comes to associating with certain people. In my mind, the ideal companions are those of similar interests, intellect, and values. I have high standards by which I judge people, but it can be hard to be a good judge of character - and people of good character seem to be of such short supply nowadays..
I think we associate within groups where we spend most of our time (e.g., work, worship, and family) and sadly, project that into our social circles. I have friends with varying backgrounds - life experiences, political, race, identity, wealth ranges, FOX-vs-CNN, and education (HS-ish to PhDs), I find that these things aren't important. Consequently, I am a better person for the richness of those experiences. I (or they) don't have to agree with everything they (or I) believe in.

I think it is common to have these questions. It is your conclusions that are important. I don't think that you are implying that people should only associate with those of the same castes system (born-into, economic), or viewpoints. It is important to continue to examine your actions and beliefs in all parts of your life, and make changes accordingly. This is learning and maturing.

BabyGurlAlexa

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little
friends and I can have different interests what they cannot have is right wing politics