Social Anxiety

hodori779 said:
I used to. But, after teaching middle school for a few years, all of a sudden, every day tasks like phone calls, ordering food, etc, pale in comparison to teaching a class of 8th graders. Lol.
Uh oh 😂😂 8th graders can be the worst.

Well, I for one have got the short end of the stick. I already had mild social anxiety, where I would act overconfident, arrogant, and tough to hide my sensitivity. Things got worse when I was mentally abused by multiple people I trusted in high school. This caused me to shut myself off unless the person seemed genuinely kind. Then my transgender feelings came out just after getting over that. Sad Fact: for 2 years after high school I would chisel highly personal info out of someone I got to know to use as "insurance" because I feared getting hurt again.

My social anxiety comes in the form of emotional masks. One of my nicknames was "The Man of a Thousand Faces". For the past three years I buried my feelings in hyper masculinity until I almost got killed from a ready stupid stunt. Social anxiety comes in many different forms. I have a friend who cannot go to parties without wearing cloths that show his muscles. For some it's shyness and for others it's hubris.

After meeting some good people, I am finally on the right path. But problems still remain. I have a lot of work to go through. But I'm at least waaaaaaay more approachable before. The fact that you acknowledge your challenges already puts you in a good place.

Last edited:
That's a handful 8th graders.

DarlingSweetheart98 said:
Uh oh 😂😂 8th graders can be the worst.

I really did have fun and enjoy it though-my first school was really good-sure, there were some "8th graders being 8th graders" but by and large, they were pretty good. But, the school that I quit from was really bad-and that's why I don't teach anymore.

Wise move on your part.

being inside all day really drives the anxiety when I am outside especially in classroom settings. I haven't had such feelings since I went into quarantine

Back