Social Anxiety

DarlingSweetheart98

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
So, I have always had social anxiety. As a kid, I was even scared to talk to relatives. I would hide when we got to relative's houses, so I would be left alone. I was even terrified of old people. They looks scary to me, so I stayed away from them. Going to school, I was always the introvert book reader type. I was always happy have a small group of friends and having them be the more talkative ones and I be the listener. Now, I have been a cashier in retail for a few years now. That has calmed and upped my social anxiety at the same time. It has made it easier for me to speak with strangers and talk casually, but now everybody knows me. It gives me more social off of work to see so many people that is family, long distance, somewhat familiar faces that I know from somewhere, church faces, and faces I completely don't recognize, but recognize me. It makes me feel very targeted every time I go out because every time I go out, I'm always recognized one way or another which leads to awkward conversations that don't go anywhere such as:
"HI, how are you?"
"Good"
"Good"
"Ummm... good talk. Bye."
While leads me to attempted to completely avoid confrontations. Sometimes, I dodge down other aisles in a store to avoid other people, so no awkward conversations. One time, I even ran out of a bank cause I saw my ex boss. And refused to go to the bank for another few days because I was embarrassed. It's even worse if it is a face that you haven't seen in a long time and you feel as though you should say more, but run up blank. Does anybody else have social anxiety to this extent?

• Love
Reactions: BabySkye75
DarlingSweetheart98 said:
So, I have always had social anxiety. As a kid, I was even scared to talk to relatives. I would hide when we got to relative's houses, so I would be left alone. I was even terrified of old people. They looks scary to me, so I stayed away from them. Going to school, I was always the introvert book reader type. I was always happy have a small group of friends and having them be the more talkative ones and I be the listener. Now, I have been a cashier in retail for a few years now. That has calmed and upped my social anxiety at the same time. It has made it easier for me to speak with strangers and talk casually, but now everybody knows me. It gives me more social off of work to see so many people that is family, long distance, somewhat familiar faces that I know from somewhere, church faces, and faces I completely don't recognize, but recognize me. It makes me feel very targeted every time I go out because every time I go out, I'm always recognized one way or another which leads to awkward conversations that don't go anywhere such as:
"HI, how are you?"
"Good"
"Good"
"Ummm... good talk. Bye."
While leads me to attempted to completely avoid confrontations. Sometimes, I dodge down other aisles in a store to avoid other people, so no awkward conversations. One time, I even ran out of a bank cause I saw my ex boss. And refused to go to the bank for another few days because I was embarrassed. It's even worse if it is a face that you haven't seen in a long time and you feel as though you should say more, but run up blank. Does anybody else have social anxiety to this extent?
Yes yes and yes..... not only social anxiety but panic disorder to add in to it... I try and avoid any kind of peoply situations... even in my younger years the best place to find me in a bar was either not there or in a dark secluded corner people watching with my back to the wall... and for Walmart it any other shopping endeavor I try and go when there are les people possible and will go a different way when I see people in the aisle I need. I’m not much for awkward or even small talk I’m more along the lines if we are or must talk then let’s talk but even with that I am usually expression less . I don’t much like people so yeah covid quarantine is not as hard for me I’m an introverted loner 😉

Yep, I got GAD so sometimes I’m just fine and other times I get super nervous talking to anyone may it be a stranger or an old friend. I’m horrible with names but can remember a face so those awkward conversations happen, plus I very much dislike small talk and end most conversations early if I can. I Ran out of my job last month because of my anxiety so I can relate to wanting to avoid people and will even avoid one of my roommates if possible.

It sucks you want to be alone but when you’re alone you wish you had company 🙃 I wish you the best and find the strength to overcome whatever challenges you face with your anxiety. If you haven’t talked to a doc about anxiety meds I recommend you do as I’ve noticed some assistance from them and some that are cheap and non-addictive.

I have the same thing. I can operate just fine on an impersonal level but socializing in a more personal level takes me a long time.

Reactions: DarlingSweetheart98
I also get this quite a lot, even when speaking with old friends I bump into in the street. I really don't know why I get it, I never used to 😕

BabySkye75 said:
Yes yes and yes..... not only social anxiety but panic disorder to add in to it... I try and avoid any kind of peoply situations... even in my younger years the best place to find me in a bar was either not there or in a dark secluded corner people watching with my back to the wall... and for Walmart it any other shopping endeavor I try and go when there are les people possible and will go a different way when I see people in the aisle I need. I’m not much for awkward or even small talk I’m more along the lines if we are or must talk then let’s talk but even with that I am usually expression less . I don’t much like people so yeah covid quarantine is not as hard for me I’m an introverted loner 😉
I'm thankful I just have social anxiety. Panic attacks would be worse in my opinion. And corners are the best because they make me feel more secure and further away from people. My mom has social anxiety and panic attacks. She walked me down the aisle at my wedding last year. She almost collapsed though when she saw the amount of people there. Also, you saying "introverted loner" makes me think of my sophomore English college teacher in high school. She called me the "Lone Wolf" because I refused to work with partners for group assignments. She was a relaxed teacher, so she didn't make me.

I'm thankful I just have social anxiety. Panic attacks would be worse in my opinion. And corners are the best because they make me feel more secure and further away from people. My mom has social anxiety and panic attacks. She walked me down the aisle at my wedding last year. She almost collapsed though when she saw the amount of people there. Also, you saying "introverted loner" makes me think of my sophomore English college teacher in high school. She called me the "Lone Wolf" because I refused to work with partners for group assignments. She was a relaxed teacher, so she didn't make me.
One could say I am a lone wolf I prefer to work alone, I get overwhelmed easily when I must work in a group due to how I move forward logically with almost any task. As for being a loner I can count my friends in one hand yet I have many many acquaintances, some also say I’m like a gypsy I used to travel a lot for work before I retired being a road mechanic for heavy equip and big trucks. I have trust issues and I haven’t engaged in really any serious relationship in probably 10 yrs or better, as I also have separation issues everyone I have ever had has always left me. I take meds for the panic attacks but lately they are not even touching em I see my shrink next week and I think we are going to talk about some changes.

Punku said:
Yep, I got GAD so sometimes I’m just fine and other times I get super nervous talking to anyone may it be a stranger or an old friend. I’m horrible with names but can remember a face so those awkward conversations happen, plus I very much dislike small talk and end most conversations early if I can. I Ran out of my job last month because of my anxiety so I can relate to wanting to avoid people and will even avoid one of my roommates if possible.

It sucks you want to be alone but when you’re alone you wish you had company 🙃 I wish you the best and find the strength to overcome whatever challenges you face with your anxiety. If you haven’t talked to a doc about anxiety meds I recommend you do as I’ve noticed some assistance from them and some that are cheap and non-addictive.
I actually used to rent a room in a large house with an older couple in their sixties and they had five adopted kids. They were perfectly nice and very sociable, but I avoided them most of the time in order not to make awkward small talk or have the feeling we had to talk. I would wait for silence in the house before I would leave my room to get food. You mentioned trying medication, but I actually don't agree with medication. If I don't have to take medication, I won't. I feel it should be used if it a must and absolutely cannot be controlled. Too many side effects and readjustment and doctor visits.
Also, this video reminds me of us social anxiety people because this basically sums me up:
There are some days when I need to call like a dentist or something and do adult stuff. I just stare at my phone for ten minutes trying to summon up the courage and figure the exact words I need to speak.

Reactions: Punku and BabySkye75
BabySkye75 said:
One could say I am a lone wolf I prefer to work alone, I get overwhelmed easily when I must work in a group due to how I move forward logically with almost any task. As for being a loner I can count my friends in one hand yet I have many many acquaintances, some also say I’m like a gypsy I used to travel a lot for work before I retired being a road mechanic for heavy equip and big trucks. I have trust issues and I haven’t engaged in really any serious relationship in probably 10 yrs or better, as I also have separation issues everyone I have ever had has always left me. I take meds for the panic attacks but lately they are not even touching em I see my shrink next week and I think we are going to talk about some changes.
I also have separation issues!!! Well, for the most part they are gone now. But I remember every time I went to visit my cousin or my granny. The only two people I would do sleepovers with, my heart was always broken when I had to leave. I felt so empty after the separation like I had been abandoned, but I knew it wasn't true. Also, separation issues when I was in first grade. I'd burst into tears when my mom would leave me alone. The teachers thought I was playing games or something. They had to send my older brother to my class to make me feel better.

I actually used to rent a room in a large house with an older couple in their sixties and they had five adopted kids. They were perfectly nice and very sociable, but I avoided them most of the time in order not to make awkward small talk or have the feeling we had to talk. I would wait for silence in the house before I would leave my room to get food. You mentioned trying medication, but I actually don't agree with medication. If I don't have to take medication, I won't. I feel it should be used if it a must and absolutely cannot be controlled. Too many side effects and readjustment and doctor visits.
Also, this video reminds me of us social anxiety people because this basically sums me up:
There are some days when I need to call like a dentist or something and do adult stuff. I just stare at my phone for ten minutes trying to summon up the courage and figure the exact words I need to speak.
I’m with you in the medication I don’t want to but my panic attacks are so fierce it can immobilize me for 30-60 min, I smoke the ganja it helps some but not enough even with CBD it don’t do as good as it should. The ironic part is I work as a customer support rep for the cable company, thankfully only phone support.. but I also work as a IT contractor and travel most of Alabama, western Georgia, southern Tennessee and eastern Mississippi to various sites and I assure you if there is more than 2 people it drains me fast. I just did a security survey for a psych hospital the other day, I’m sure you can imagine the anxiety I felt there. Even my roommates here will tell you I am cery

BabySkye75 said:
I’m with you in the medication I don’t want to but my panic attacks are so fierce it can immobilize me for 30-60 min, I smoke the ganja it helps some but not enough even with CBD it don’t do as good as it should. The ironic part is I work as a customer support rep for the cable company, thankfully only phone support.. but I also work as a IT contractor and travel most of Alabama, western Georgia, southern Tennessee and eastern Mississippi to various sites and I assure you if there is more than 2 people it drains me fast. I just did a security survey for a psych hospital the other day, I’m sure you can imagine the anxiety I felt there. Even my roommates here will tell you I am cery
Ehhhh I'm in Northwest Georgia.

You got storms coming your way probably knock your cable out... ugh 😩 I’ll have to see it here I just got knocked offline.. waiting for everything to come back up ughh this means lots of outages and I’m calling outages today

Reactions: chrischrischris
BabySkye75 said:
You got storms coming your way probably knock your cable out... ugh 😩 I’ll have to see it here I just got knocked offline.. waiting for everything to come back up ughh this means lots of outages and I’m calling outages today
I work as a cashier at Walmart until 9 tonight, so maybe I'll miss everything while working.

Reactions: BabySkye75 and chrischrischris
Yes I suffer from this makes me sad

Reactions: BabySkye75 and DarlingSweetheart98
I work as a cashier at Walmart until 9 tonight, so maybe I'll miss everything while working.
[/QUOTE}
be safe

All the children playing together but me

Loved the video and can relate to phone calls. I will pace around my house when I’m on the phone and have to psych myself up just to call, even if it’s necessary for some adult responsibility.

I understand your concerns of side effects as I am too and always research any medication that is recommended to me. That being said, research propranolol. It’s actually used for high blood pressure but at very low doses it’s been proven to help with anxiety and works fast with very little to known side effects (especially at low doses) cheap and non addictive. Tolerance builds overtime if you take it daily but in situations where I can’t smoke it’s very helpful if I can notice the warning signs of my anxiety starting to increase. I honestly don’t know this to be true or not by my doctor told me a lot of professionals use it that have social anxiety when in front of large groups of people.

That being said you can always practice meditating and mindfulness. Medicine is just a band-aid to help, coping mechanisms is where the real work and progress is IMO.

Reactions: DarlingSweetheart98 and BabySkye75
Punku said:
Loved the video and can relate to phone calls. I will pace around my house when I’m on the phone and have to psych myself up just to call, even if it’s necessary for some adult responsibility.

I understand your concerns of side effects as I am too and always research any medication that is recommended to me. That being said, research propranolol. It’s actually used for high blood pressure but at very low doses it’s been proven to help with anxiety and works fast with very little to known side effects (especially at low doses) cheap and non addictive. Tolerance builds overtime if you take it daily but in situations where I can’t smoke it’s very helpful if I can notice the warning signs of my anxiety starting to increase. I honestly don’t know this to be true or not by my doctor told me a lot of professionals use it that have social anxiety when in front of large groups of people.

That being said you can always practice meditating and mindfulness. Medicine is just a band-aid to help, coping mechanisms is where the real work and progress is IMO.
I’ve not heard of propranolol.. I do however take Buspar and Vistril in low dose for panic attacks and anxiety.. I’ve tried a great many of psychotropic cocktails and none seem to do it and ramp up more side effects I think the worst combo I have taken was 3000mg of lithium, 2500mg depakote slow release and 7 mg risperdal the side effects were atrocious... the only thing that actually has the highest efficacy with me is Valium and Ativan but not one shrink has listened and prescribed it it’s like talking to a wall .. I’ve turned down others because I know what they do...

I'am lucky to not take meds for anxiety but it still gives me problems the other day was cutting grass had a slight dizzy spell anxiety set in which me to wet my pants lucky had protection on.

I used to. But, after teaching middle school for a few years, all of a sudden, every day tasks like phone calls, ordering food, etc, pale in comparison to teaching a class of 8th graders. Lol.

Back