Soak first, or straight to washer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DONeill73

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
As mentioned in an earlier post, Im very interested in getting some cloth diapers. When I've used them, can they be put in the washer right away to clean them, or MUST they be soaked first ?

Brickhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
I'm not sure what most of them recommend, but the instructions on the AIO that I have specifically said NOT to presoak the diaper. It went straight into the washer after I unpackaged it.

saoradh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
most of the time, mine are soaked already :biggrin:

but seriously, my cloth diapers go in the washer, no pre- treatment.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Well i wash them in the laudry room sink first, then toss them in the washer. I dont know if it makes any extra difference but.. it makes me feel as if theyre cleaner.

Im a big advocate of cloth diapers, at least the plastic backed variety. Ive found them to be fairly leak proof, holding a lot and well.. since i never run out of diapers, thats very nice. I just do a load of laundary once a day and im fine.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I rinse and soak mine in a pail until I can wash them. Also holds down on the odor.

willnotwill

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
The conventional wisdom is that presoaking doesn't really do anything as far as getting the diaper clean. As pointed out it might keep the smell down a bit if it going to be a few days until laundry day. Frankly, I just seal each days up in it's own plastic bag. I don't have a cloth pail at this point (though I do have a diaper genie for disposables).

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I do rinse cycle and then wash. I like to get most of the pee out first.

barkd74

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
i just wear mine into the shower, let them rinse a bit, then take them off. It helps with any odor if I can't wash them right away.

chuck

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I put my diapers in a dry pail after use. When it's time to wash them, I put them in the washing machine, run the pre-wash cycle then the regular wash and rinse cycle.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
If I was the messy type, I'd probably do a double cycle, but I'm not. Further, I don't wear for need, so I'm not forced to stockpile wet diapers. When I wear and wet my prefolds, which is typically a couple of times a week, they go straight from my body into the washer. I'll often throw a couple of clean/dry diapers in at the same time just because I like to constantly break them in -- makes them softer.

My washer is a 'high efficiency' front-loader with a 'sanitary' (extra hot) cycle, and it also allows one to specify a 'soil level' (wash duration, effectively). I've used the sanitary cycle before, but given that I don't mess my diapers, I feel that a normal 'cotton/towels' cycle with hot water is fine. I've never had any issue with lingering odors. Diapers come out beautifully white and smelling fresh.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Baby Pants, the company, suggests washing cloth diapers first on a rinse cycle, then washing again with detergent. Since I wear for pleasure (blush) rather than need, meaning usually one per day/night, I rinse them out during my shower and accumulate them until I have a washer load. Then I wash them with Arm and Hammer on the heavier, cotton load. They've held up well doing this.

DONeill73

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So, it sounds as if I wear them in the shower first, or perhaps put them in the shower under the stream while I sit on the toilet and do my morning....."thing" and then throw them in the wash after I get out. Its probably not a bad idea to just let it stay on the shower floor while Im in there. Wring it out (in the shower) and then to the washer.

chamberpot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
When I am wearing my cloth diapers I always put them in a diaper pail 3/4 full of water and one cup of vinegar and they soak until there is a full load, that's the way my mom used to do them way back when and the way my wife did the diapers for all our kids

WBxx

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
So, it sounds as if I wear them in the shower first, or perhaps put them in the shower under the stream while I sit on the toilet and do my morning....."thing" and then throw them in the wash after I get out. Its probably not a bad idea to just let it stay on the shower floor while Im in there. Wring it out (in the shower) and then to the washer.

I generally don’t even wash them after a good long shower sudsing and rinse. Just hang to dry and wear the following night.

VerticalDrop

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Well, what kind of cloth diapers are you getting? My experience has been the thicker they are, the more likely youll need to double wash them. Also from my experience, presoaking is a good method to get caked on dirt/mud/clay off of things, but does nothing for getting a wet, pee soaked diaper cleaner. An extra rinse cycle helps. Enjoy, cloth is a whole different experience than disposables!

WBxx

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Well, what kind of cloth diapers are you getting? My experience has been the thicker they are, the more likely youll need to double wash them. Also from my experience, presoaking is a good method to get caked on dirt/mud/clay off of things, but does nothing for getting a wet, pee soaked diaper cleaner. An extra rinse cycle helps. Enjoy, cloth is a whole different experience than disposables!

Make my own diapers. They’re large, single layer flannel … easy to wash and quick to dry.

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
  4. Private
Laundry day for diapers is typically every other day, so I don't presoak. My washing machine has a 'custom' setting, where I have it set to the wash cycle for a solid hour, then do 6 rinse cycles. the wash on hot (155F from my water heater) will kill about anything that might've thought about setting up shop within.

xolyshaxo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Here is my method. I keep the used diapers in a dry diaper pail and sprinkle a little baking soda on them to keep the smell down. then run them through a wash / rinse cycle with no detergent. After that I use a scentless detergent with 2 cups white vinegar a half cup baking soda and a half cup Arm and Hammer washing soad boster. I let the washer fill up agitate for a few mins then turn it off and let them soak in that mix for 2-3 hours. This removes and smell from the diapers. I then let them run a normal cycle with extra wash. I usually wash every 4-5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.