So what's everyone do for a living?

Calico said:
I am glad there are people that think my job isn't useless because I see right wingers out there telling others to get a real job and that those who work uneducated jobs are lazy. That is because you don't make much as a janitor but I just make a little more than minimum wage. Newsflash, not everyone can go to college. Plush not everyone wants to be flooded in student debt and have bad credit.
I agree with not everyone has to go to college, I just barely got though high school , I had teachers ask me if I was going to be a ditch digger or a garbageman my whole life,, well I work hard digging ditches at times and I have collected garbage at times , By the time I was 30 I was making twice what teachers were making at the time, I have had a great work life doing many many different kinds of work , anyone who works hard and shows up every day can succeed . I think college is wasted on about 70% of those who go and get a degree and a debt. and thank you and everyone for what they do.

Reactions: pdiapered and TheGazelle
I am an executive at a global property management and real estate firm.

chamberpot said:
I agree with not everyone has to go to college, I just barely got though high school , I had teachers ask me if I was going to be a ditch digger or a garbageman my whole life,, well I work hard digging ditches at times and I have collected garbage at times , By the time I was 30 I was making twice what teachers were making at the time, I have had a great work life doing many many different kinds of work , anyone who works hard and shows up every day can succeed . I think college is wasted on about 70% of those who go and get a degree and a debt. and thank you and everyone for what they do.
I have a college degree that I actually use and am a right winger (but not far right). I don’t think everyone needs a college degree and if they did, they wouldn’t all find jobs using their degree. We need people who do all sorts of jobs. I just like to see people working hard at whatever job they have and hope they make the best of it. I don’t like to see people sitting on a couch all day collecting welfare and having more kids to collect more money. Or those who collect unemployment and don’t even try to find a new job. If you work hard at any job, you are a productive member of society. This includes staying home and raising kids or doing volunteer work, if you have a working spouse. I am sure there are other exceptions, such as those who are truly unable to work for some reason.

Reactions: steviet
I'm a Chief Architect designing IT solutions for Trams and Metros. 🚊

RedPandaDL said:
I have a college degree that I actually use and am a right winger (but not far right). I don’t think everyone needs a college degree and if they did, they wouldn’t all find jobs using their degree. We need people who do all sorts of jobs. I just like to see people working hard at whatever job they have and hope they make the best of it. I don’t like to see people sitting on a couch all day collecting welfare and having more kids to collect more money. Or those who collect unemployment and don’t even try to find a new job. If you work hard at any job, you are a productive member of society. This includes staying home and raising kids or doing volunteer work, if you have a working spouse. I am sure there are other exceptions, such as those who are truly unable to work for some reason.

You do realize that people on welfare do work while they still collect money from the gov? They just don't make enough to make ends meet so they need assistance like food stamps, medicaid, help to pay their power bill and companies will even have affordable plans for low income people. Even Amazon Prime does too so people with low income can also have Prime, same as if you are a student. When you don't have much income, you will find ways to stretch your money and you know what you need and don't need and what are wants. Like I knew as a young adult that desserts and pop and other drinks were just luxuries foods, same as snacks. Eating out is a luxury and going to a movie, Redbox is cheaper than going to a movie rental place. I used to joke that I was too poor to eat a lot so I stay skinny that way. That was because I wanted to keep my food bill down and would get mad at my husband if I thought he was eating too much because we had to keep food lasting longer so we don't buy more as often and not buy as much. He even said I lived like we are poor. Yeah I have money anxiety so that is why I found ways to make my money stretch and why I act cheap. My mom in law called it frugal and thrifty. I had no idea how insulting it was to call people cheap so I learned the hard way I was being insulted by my parents all that time. Smartphones have gotten so cheap now, now poor people have them. You don't need to spend several hundreds on a smartphone. You can get one under $100. But space may be 16 GB, camera quality might not be as good but at least you have a phone with internet and email but you don't need to browse online and watch youtube on it when you can read a book or just play a handheld game. And if you are poor, you might just save up for one or do odd jobs to save for one or do commissions if you have any talent. If you are female, you can just make videos for horny guys and start a OnlyFans page or do some sex work online. Heck even sell photos too. It won't give you a living but it's some extra income for you to save up on for something you want. I am sure some people do make poor choices with their finances (my ex was one of them because he refused to live like he was on low income and wanted to live like he had money) but there are even rich people out there that make poor financial choices too but the poor just get more flack than the rich.

That is why right wingers say "get a real job" "go back to school and get a degree" and all that stuff but yet they are against lefists being against student debt. It makes no sense.

Also what else doesn't make sense is they are against people having kids they can't afford but yet are against birth control and abortions, make up your mind.

Calico said:
You do realize that people on welfare do work while they still collect money from the gov? They just don't make enough to make ends meet so they need assistance like food stamps, medicaid, help to pay their power bill and companies will even have affordable plans for low income people. Even Amazon Prime does too so people with low income can also have Prime, same as if you are a student. When you don't have much income, you will find ways to stretch your money and you know what you need and don't need and what are wants. Like I knew as a young adult that desserts and pop and other drinks were just luxuries foods, same as snacks. Eating out is a luxury and going to a movie, Redbox is cheaper than going to a movie rental place. I used to joke that I was too poor to eat a lot so I stay skinny that way. That was because I wanted to keep my food bill down and would get mad at my husband if I thought he was eating too much because we had to keep food lasting longer so we don't buy more as often and not buy as much. He even said I lived like we are poor. Yeah I have money anxiety so that is why I found ways to make my money stretch and why I act cheap. My mom in law called it frugal and thrifty. I had no idea how insulting it was to call people cheap so I learned the hard way I was being insulted by my parents all that time. Smartphones have gotten so cheap now, now poor people have them. You don't need to spend several hundreds on a smartphone. You can get one under $100. But space may be 16 GB, camera quality might not be as good but at least you have a phone with internet and email but you don't need to browse online and watch youtube on it when you can read a book or just play a handheld game. And if you are poor, you might just save up for one or do odd jobs to save for one or do commissions if you have any talent. If you are female, you can just make videos for horny guys and start a OnlyFans page or do some sex work online. Heck even sell photos too. It won't give you a living but it's some extra income for you to save up on for something you want. I am sure some people do make poor choices with their finances (my ex was one of them because he refused to live like he was on low income and wanted to live like he had money) but there are even rich people out there that make poor financial choices too but the poor just get more flack than the rich.

That is why right wingers say "get a real job" "go back to school and get a degree" and all that stuff but yet they are against lefists being against student debt. It makes no sense.

Also what else doesn't make sense is they are against people having kids they can't afford but yet are against birth control and abortions, make up your mind.
Good points. Welfare as supplemental income makes sense to me. I don’t mind helping people who work but don’t make enough to support their family. I also fully support birth control. I admit that I don’t like the idea of abortion except in the case of rape. We are probably getting off topic for this thread, but thanks for sharing your experiences. Like I said originally, all jobs are important or they wouldn’t exist (at least the legal ones). We (society) need to make sure that pay reflects that fact, so people are encouraged to work and then everyone wins. Maybe a discussion for a different forum.

Reactions: Calico
Retail

I work as a customer service rep for a dollar store

A kitchen helper at a retirement home, but I want to start a business someday.

Automotive electronics and communication tech!

I'm a grill cook making $10/hr, don't really love doing it, but it buys the diapers at the end of the day.

I am currently a student at university, but I am aiming to be a lawyer someday! I do have an on-campus job working the reception center at one of the residence halls.

Last edited:
Reactions: armydipr
A mature student, going for a business degree.

Senior Business Analyst for a Telecommunications company. Mainly I model data from the source using SQL and other languages then land them in reference tables for the rest of the business to reference, I then build reports and KPIs using Visual Studio/SSRS and PowerBI. I also admin an internal website for a fleet of technicians.

Currently working at the second largest home improvement retailer in the US. It’s the blue one.
But I just got out of the printing industry

Reactions: armydipr and BobbiSueEllen
I’m a GC/MS and LC/MS/MS operator and data processor. They’re scientific equipment used for detecting and quantitating molecular compounds.

Reactions: perlFerret
I'm a customer service rep

Im an aviation structural tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llayden, perlFerret and BobbiSueEllen
I was a contractor until 2003 when I got hit by severe illness...which ended up being my immune system attacking my joints, tendons and muscle. Severe fibromyalgia, which was formally diagnosed 4 years later. Symptoms are, for the better part, identical to MS, excepting that an MS MRI shows lesions on the brain and spinal cord; fibro shows none. So, I'm disabled/retired and on Social Security. I require a wheelchair for any walking greater than within or around the home. I'd rather be back to doing what I was doing but that's impossible...unless, by some miracle, a lightning strike cures me.

Reactions: armydipr
jamiejamie said:
I’m a GC/MS and LC/MS/MS operator and data processor. They’re scientific equipment used for detecting and quantitating molecular compounds.

Wow I wish I had more LC/MS experience. It's super useful for jobs in the pharmaceutical world. I've gotten too deep into biology. Biology is... A mess. But chemistry? Analytical chemistry, it's beautiful.

Back