So... What Comes After The CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitefox

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Other
As many people keeping up with music industry news should know by now, the sale of CD's has been in a steady decline, dropping faster than ever over the past 10 years or so. Also, unfortunately, the rise of illegal downloads has increased inversly. (I don't claim to advocate them, but I can't say much...) At the moment, it looks like this may be the end of physical music distribution. But what if there was something new to come along? I was thinking of something comparable to the rise of Blu-Ray discs over DVD's. Could there ever be something like a Hi-Definition CD as the popular media format?

The quality of CD's could be better than they are, yet the only way to get the highest quality out of music at the moment appears to be lossless downloads, usually from the artist's (or company's) website. I forget who it is, but some musician is trying to get a group of other musicians together to start making higher quality CD's. Is this the future of music?

Or are we going to go back to vinyl? With everything going on, several people are going back to vinyl albums, which they claim sounds better ("warmer") than their partner CD's. While I seriously doubt that it is possible for the mass public to start listening to records again, it remains a slight possibilty that the now niche market could expand.

Whew, after all that, my question is pretty simple: with the growing want of portable music (and the decline of the want for higher quality), what is going to replace the CD (or download, at this point) as the popular format for music distribution?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think they will either just be things you get online, or flash drive type things...

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Or are we going to go back to vinyl? With everything going on, several people are going back to vinyl albums, which they claim sounds better ("warmer") than their partner CD's.
I know that there are people out there who will spend $100,000 on a turntable, $15,000 on a cartridge for that turntable, and $10,000 on speakers, and another $5000 on receivers. I still buy vinyl (in fact I'll spend the weekends in places like Chicago just find good record stores), but I think that's going a little overboard. But yeah, I've compared the digital versions of some songs to the vinyl version, and most of the time, vinyl sounds better.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I think most music will go online only in the next 10 years or so. Everyone has MP3 players on their person or in their car... so you just take your CD and rip it. I can see flash-drive like devices being sold in stores that will be an "album" that you just take home and pull the songs off of instead of ripping them off the disc.

This is why the music industry is trying to clamp down on piracy so much. With music going from something physical to something purely electronic it can be stolen much easier. Nothing tangible to sell... no profit for the record company.

whitefox

Est. Contributor
Role
I hadn't really thought about flash drives... so it would be like a jump/pen/usb drive with the songs on it? That would be similar to a cartrige versus a disc with games. One advantage would be that it couldn't get scratched, and there would be no extra noise that would be present with spinning a disc. There's also a much larger limit on the amount of storage space.

That sounds pretty good.

Role
Incontinent
I can see the music industry starting to go to digital files or jump drive type things. I, personally, have bought every vinyl record(In the best possible condition) from the rock band Styx and framed them. I just like the way they look. The album art is really cool. I still buy CDs and rip them to my Microsoft Zune. That way, if my Zune stops working or the music gets deleted somehow, I have the CD and I can sync the music onto my Zune again.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well flash drives can get really small while still holding a lot...I've seen ones smaller than fingernails...The only problem with those would be losing them...

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think they will either just be things you get online, or flash drive type things...
yes
(in fact I'll spend the weekends in places like Chicago just find good record stores)
how do you get there, Youre only 15
I think most music will go online only in the next 10 years or so. Everyone has MP3 players on their person or in their car... so you just take your CD and rip it. I can see flash-drive like devices being sold in stores that will be an "album" that you just take home and pull the songs off of instead of ripping them off the disc.
This is why the music industry is trying to clamp down on piracy so much. With music going from something physical to something purely electronic it can be stolen much easier. Nothing tangible to sell... no profit for the record company.
less shipping costs, a small flash drive like that, 6$
I hadn't really thought about flash drives... so it would be like a jump/pen/usb drive with the songs on it? That would be similar to a cartrige versus a disc with games. One advantage would be that it couldn't get scratched, and there would be no extra noise that would be present with spinning a disc. There's also a much larger limit on the amount of storage space.

That sounds pretty good.
that will be nice

Well flash drives can get really small while still holding a lot...I've seen ones smaller than fingernails...The only problem with those would be losing them...
tape them on your arms, cool

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Its all about Downloading. Hard Disk Drives and Flash Drives is where I think everything should me videos, Music, Games EVERYTHING!

Just think about it you don't have to go to the store to buy it and waste gas and you don't have to wait for a few days for the mail.

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
how do you get there, Youre only 15
We only live a few hours away, and my dad and I, and sometimes friends, will go up there for a few days. We've also got relatives there.

MarcusBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur, , Carer
I like CDs. I like browsing for CDs in stores, pacing down the different genre aisles taking ages to decide which to purchase.
I like ordering CDs from the internet anticipating there arrival in the post. I like owning a physical copy of my music and watching my collection steadily grow.

It will be a sad day for me when the music industry focuses entirely on digital distribution.

Role
Incontinent
I use a flash drive for school(to keep reports and stuff), so I have a one gigabyte connected to my key ring. I also enjoy browsing the aisles, picking out CDs. I have a massive collection.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I love my iTunes. I love digitized music. It's not only the 99 cent single downlooads, but the free webstreams of radio stations. There is a catalog of stations, but then there are other stations that are also iTunes compatible. I am listening to a spoken word show on KZSC, a student station at UC Santa Cruz----while I sit here at my computer in Pennsylvania.

whitefox

Est. Contributor
Role
I like the collector aspect of CD's, plus the fact that I actually have a physical copy of it, and that I'm supporting the artist that created the music. The only hard part is making the money to purchase the CD's, and the fact that there are no music (read "record") stores around where I live. The closest, I'm pretty sure, is 45 minutes away, and even then it would be pretty small.

Icey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Little, Carer
You all might laugh at this, but I will say it anyways!! I think a long dead media storage device will make a comeback & it is called, A MiniDisc!! The Sony PSP uses a modified version of the MiniDisc called the UMD!! For those of you who do not know what a MiniDisc looks like hare you go...

The past may be the future!!

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Minidiscs are amazing, amazing little tools -- they never got too popular, but they're invaluable in so many ways!

Icey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Little, Carer
Yes they are, that is why I said what I did!! I miss my MiniDisc player!!

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Digital downloads for nearly the same damn price! Exactly why I hate digital downloads.... it's not any cheaper. And yeah, CDs are kinda like... trophies! I'll be sad the day they quit putting albums on CD. Though, they still make vinyl albums, so maybe that won't happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.