So what am I supposed to do with these? o.O

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 989

I snagged six battle tested Q6600 kits the other day that otherwise would have been destined to the curb. They're complete with Intel motherboard, aftermarket low profile coolers and 4x1GB of DDR2. ...So now what do I do with them? I wonder what the lowest wattage PSU I can get away with for these would be.

Akastus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Bit tricky really, since you need to buy a whole load of other bits and pieces to make them useable. Any friends or family whose computers might be due for an upgrade?

And as for the PSU - well obviously that depends on what you're using them for. If you're not gaming or doing anything really processor-intensive, you might be able to get away with 300W.

D

Deleted member 989

Bit tricky really, since you need to buy a whole load of other bits and pieces to make them useable. Any friends or family whose computers might be due for an upgrade?

And as for the PSU - well obviously that depends on what you're using them for. If you're not gaming or doing anything really processor-intensive, you might be able to get away with 300W.

You're rather underestimating the power consumption there. With a TDP of only 105w, the Q6600 would never need a 300w PSU as what you 'might get away with'. :p I was aiming a biiiiit lower in terms of power wattage.

Akastus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I think you mean over-estimating. Regardless, that is only the processor - you need to count the motherboard and any drives as well. And there's nothing wrong with headroom.

Anyway, I suggested 300W because off-hand, I'm not sure where to find sub-300W ATX PSUs. They're not exactly in great demand any more, and I doubt that they are appreciably cheaper if you can find them.

D

Deleted member 989

I think you mean over-estimating. Regardless, that is only the processor - you need to count the motherboard and any drives as well. And there's nothing wrong with headroom.

Anyway, I suggested 300W because off-hand, I'm not sure where to find sub-300W ATX PSUs. They're not exactly in great demand any more, and I doubt that they are appreciably cheaper if you can find them.

The board is about 20w, a single HDD ranges around 5w. :p

There's actually a lot of lower wattage PSUs, but they aren't what's commonly talked about since they're boring I'm thinking smaller compact mATX cases with FLEX power supplies. You can get'em down to 200w easily. The real factor is if one wants to put in a GPU, since those are the real gas guzzlers of any PC.

A

Anon109

Actually:
Motherboards can pull from 25W to 80W.
Ram for that board: 3-5W .
Graphics card: 25w to 350W
3.5" harddisk can draw up to 10W
DVD/blueray drive: 15-30W
Case fans: 0,5 to 3W

Bare minimum PSU you can run= 200W, but the powersupply will constantly run hot and have a short life.
Recommended minimum PSU = 300W. This will also give you less powerbills as less power are turned to heat in the PSU.

Akastus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
There aren't a lot of lower wattage ATX PSUs, and I assumed (erroneously) you meant full ATX. Should have looked at the picture more closely. :p

If you haven't decided whether or not you're sticking in a GPU, there's not much point shopping for PSUs yet.

D

Deleted member 989

DVD/blueray drive: 15-30W

Opticial media, in 2015? :V

There aren't a lot of lower wattage ATX PSUs, and I assumed (erroneously) you meant full ATX. Should have looked at the picture more closely. :p

If you haven't decided whether or not you're sticking in a GPU, there's not much point shopping for PSUs yet.

I'm mostly thinking render farm in small mATX boxes. These are actually retired render farm machines that sat in a box for a couple of years so I got'em free from work. I figured a desktop/sideways/bridge type mATX case that I could stack up with spacers between them for air flow would be the way to go. ANd a couple I'll just be giving away to friends probably, for servers and such.

Though I am curious about building an HTPC/Steam Machine out of one just for fun and hten rebuilding it as something else.

MickeyM

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
Opticial media, in 2015? :V

I still burn movies for grandma. As well I have 1TB on dvd's as backups from long ago. Not to mention, how on earth do you install operating systems without a dvd. Sorry, mobo don't support thumbdrives, which are more costly than a dvd any how. They still have relevance, most software you buy at the store, comes on a dvd. etc. Most of the games I bought are on disk. etc

D

Deleted member 989

I still burn movies for grandma. As well I have 1TB on dvd's as backups from long ago.

I have a 21TB storage server instead. :p

Not to mention, how on earth do you install operating systems without a dvd. Sorry, mobo don't support thumbdrives, which are more costly than a dvd any how.

I haven't seen a motherboard manufactured in at least the last 10 years that doesn't support boot from USB and I haven't installed an OS off of optical disk in about as long. Installing off of USB key is a lot more convenient.

They still have relevance, most software you buy at the store, comes on a dvd. etc. Most of the games I bought are on disk. etc

Software bought on disc seems so retro. ^^;;;;;

Akastus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I sympathise, but go back six-seven years, and there were still new computers being shipped with 3.5" floppy disc drives. And there are still a fair number of people for whom downloading the 25-50GB file sizes of a Blu-Ray is not practical. It's going to be a while before optical media disappear.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Have you considered a geeky belt buckle? Either a couple sticks of RAM or a processor would make a cool belt buckle. Chopping a motherboard could make several.

More seriously, those are good enough to perform a number of basic computing tasks. You could make a new file server, a media computer, a network bridge, or a small computer farm. I would probably find a full tower, a 700 watt power supply, and mount 3 - 4 into the case. With two cases or a really big tower, could probably mount all 6 for running a computer farm.

Another option would be custom making a case to have all 6 stacked using extra long stand-offs. Then, you would just have to figure out the power supply method. Make one box to hold everything.

Personally, I would try to find some else who could better use them. I have no need for running such old hardware at this time. Raspberry Pi's or Arduinos can perform my low speed processing cheaper, more energy efficiently, and quieter.

StripesTheSkunk

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Diaperfur
Option 1: Sell them online as kits (which is fast/easy).

Option 2: Purchase 6x Hard Drives (250-500GB), 6x Power Supplies and Cases (These are often sold together- the power supply should be 200W-300W), and either Linux (Free) or Windows ($120 for 3 computers I believe). Afterwards, you would have 6 decent and completely identical computers which would be perfect for commercial or home use. I would then try to sell them to a small business that is starting up (you could also sell to invididuals, but this method is usually more work than its worth).

Option 3: Build the computers as stated in Option 2, but install decent graphics cards (nothing too fancy, just decent), as well as Windows, 500GB hard drives, and bigger Power Supplies (400W would probably be enough), and another case fan. You would then sell these to low budget gamers and/or video game console based arcades (places that let you use Playstations and Xboxs for a fee) that are looking for some basic computers to allow people to play PC games. My local arcade is actually trying to do this right now, as many people want to play newer titles but don't have a good enough computer, or want to hold LAN parties but don't have the resources/space. This might be a bit more difficult to d since the Q6600 is getting pretty old, but hey- it (*barely*) meets the requirements to play GTA V, so it's still fairly capable, and if the price is right, who knows?

I'm sure that there are some other options out there that I can't think about, but it's 3:30am so I'm just going to go to sleep now. :p

Kenn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I haven't seen a motherboard manufactured in at least the last 10 years that doesn't support boot from USB and I haven't installed an OS off of optical disk in about as long. Installing off of USB key is a lot more convenient.

My 2009 Compac Presario CQ5110Y PC doesn't and I had to jump through hoops to make a boot CD. :-/

Kenn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Yes, and I could not find an update.

Kenn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
The USB option was not even listed.