so little known about Eiré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Probably wouldn't do much, not living in America and all... but I suppose that's besides the point.

Sorry, but I tend to find nationalism loathsome no matter where it's practised. In Ireland's case, it seems as though many of the problems were caused by the elite within Ireland anyway.

But I suppose all that's besides the point too! The point is I guess I know about Ireland enough. :p

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Hehe...
Every country has silly stereotypes, and silly people who know nothing about the country will believe them.

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
yeh i guess so...hmmmm now iam curious ok let's have a bit of a game here...try think of steriotype things said about where ur from you know like

Some people thinks all people from Ireland have big beards and Ginger hair

D

Deleted member 989

I don't see any rumors of rampant alcoholism being dispelled! :eek:

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
that's because for the most part its true...well in Dublin its mostly true but not to the point where there people smashing chairs over others bks...I mean u will see alot of drunks on a saterday night but its not like we live to drink

MarcusBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur, , Carer
yeh i guess so...hmmmm now iam curious ok let's have a bit of a game here...try think of steriotype things said about where ur from you know like
Everyone has bad teeth due to our over-indulgence eating crumpets with tea and other bad food after the routine damp (constant rain) afternoon fox hunt. We're all a bunch of pompous twits obsessed with finding faults with America.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Everyone has bad teeth due to our over-indulgence eating crumpets with tea and other bad food after the routine damp (constant rain) afternoon fox hunt. We're all a bunch of pompous twits obsessed with finding faults with America.
You want to hear the common stereotype of Brits? Males: Shorts and t-shirt year-round (even when snowing), short buzz-cut, ears standing out at a 90 degree angle (think Prince Charles), drinking problem and violent during football/soccer games; Females: Black dress pants, semi-long straight hair, speaking at a high-pitched voice like they inhale helium for breakfast.

As for Irish people: The only thing I can think of is the ginger hair. You don't run into Irish people often here, either in person or on TV.

Peachy

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
You want to hear the common stereotype of Brits? Males: Shorts and t-shirt year-round (even when snowing)
I will never understand this... Nobody wears shorts, except maybe on the beach. But all year round? Where does this stereotype come from? Wearing them all year round in Britain would be a big mistake. :p Wearing them all summer would probably be a mistake too.

British Stereotypes... On American TV British people are always either from the South like London or somewhere, and are a bit posh and snobbish and have weird accents. Or they're from Manchester and are really rough/violent and like rugby.
And I swear that no American actor can do a proper English accent, the American-doing-a-Mancunian-accent accent is particularly annoying. :p

Other stereotypes: well we already had an American stereotype thread. There's the one about Germans on holidays always getting up early to leave towels on the sunbeds. :p

the0silent0alchemist

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
well heres one perspective on irish stereotypes

in the film harry potter the order of the phoenix luna lovegood, an airy, imaginative girl who seems to never be thinking the same wavelength as the rest of the population.. and shes played by an irsh girl... personally, i think it was perfectly done..

her airy-fairy nature was reinforced.. or poossible emphasised/ even explained due to that old stereotype that irish people are, o put it nicely a few lightbulbs short of a chandelier

(that their not too brigh/ not really thnking the same way as everyone else.)
miht i add i dont ACTUALLY think that it was jus good comic intergraton.

however i was always stumped as to what Eire stands for..

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
I think that "Eire" is Irish for Ireland.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
wait, so you guys haven't been inducted into the sport riots hall of fame yet?

well i can't speak for the US but in boston in order to get into any of our esteemed colleges you have to drink to excess and substitute an a for every r in every word and say things like paak the caa in havaad yaad just to be more of a dick.

oh and to the above, anyone not from boston sucks at doing a boston accent (and no, nyc accent is different!).

oh and as far as irish history goes during the famine they all came over to boston, created the police force, and then created gangs so they would have something to do while policing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
see there are alot of these about Ireland (ireland=eiré) but Ireland is kinda odd today Dublin is just a mess now...but I would say that if u do come to Ireland its the country area u should go around its very nice

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I will never understand this... Nobody wears shorts, except maybe on the beach. But all year round? Where does this stereotype come from?
Well, may help to know that I grew up in a city where 1/16 of the population were British soldiers and their families. So they always wore shorts and t-shirt, even in snow. But as with tourists all over the world: Once they leave their own country, they throw all common sense and good behaviour out the window.
However, I did notice a fair amount of people wearing shorts during my Scotland trip even though the temperature barely went above 10C. Maybe the Scots just consider that summer?!

And I swear that no American actor can do a proper English accent, the American-doing-a-Mancunian-accent accent is particularly annoying. :p
Even my mom noticed that something sounded weird when the guard dude on the train asked for "Tickets from Mahnchahstah?!" :biggrin:

well i can't speak for the US but in boston in order to get into any of our esteemed colleges you have to drink to excess and substitute an a for every r in every word and say things like paak the caa in havaad yaad just to be more of a dick.
THere's an area in Germany where people do the same thing - replace "er" with "ah", so it's not "Butter" but "Buttah". Depending on how the person pronounces certain other vowels, it comes across as either proletarian/lowest working class or rural farmboy. Not quite the snobbish people you'd expect in Hahvaahd. :biggrin:

Peachy

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
THere's an area in Germany where people do the same thing - replace "er" with "ah", so it's not "Butter" but "Buttah". Depending on how the person pronounces certain other vowels, it comes across as either proletarian/lowest working class or rural farmboy. Not quite the snobbish people you'd expect in Hahvaahd. :biggrin:
Peachy
really? lol, that's funny. i thought we were the only ones... hmm... makes me wonder why.
anyways, yeah, it's not the prep school ones that do that. quite the opposite. you'll usually find the people from inner city lynn, revere (re-ve-ya, lol), dorchester, etc.; all the inner city metro folk that do that rather than the pompous my-daddy-got-me-here bunch.

also, is there anything else we should know about ireland. like why does so much of america say they're part irish? is there some magical thing with having an irish history?
as you can tell i'm part scottish, go figure.

CiviChriSi

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Its nice to see Ireland being talked about more and more =) I was born here in NY and grew up in a primarily irish neighborhood. (Woodlawn... if anyone has heard of it. Its really the "Bronx"). Though I love Ireland. My parents and 90% of my family is from Kerry. If anyone has ever been there its one of the most beautiful places in Ireland (im biased :) )

As far as Irish history goes, I think anyone who is irish should learn the history of their heritage. Its always nice to know where you came from.

Sláinte
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.