so little known about Eiré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
ok so this has started to anoy me. Neerly Everytime I talk to people not from Ireland I heard stupid things about Ireland that are oviously not true but thay realy think its true and I have herd things like:

Are there realy leprocons in Ireland (thay are made up fs)

Wow ur Irish...how can u speak English so well (yeh that been spoken in Ireland for the past few HUNDERED YEARS!!!!)

And one person thought Ireland was fully apart of England (some people would of hit him for saying that

So what I want to ask is why is so little known about Ireland to people not from Ireland...we learn about u =(

Maverick

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I haven't made any of those assumptions (except for the first one when I was a little kid).

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I grew up in a town that was mostly Irish, I can't believe there are people that stupid about Ireland.

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I know it anoying + the one who thought Ireland was fully apart of England was a teacher

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Being I'm 99.99% Irish, and my father's parents came from Ireland in 1956, I can honestly say it does annoy me when people say Ireland was part of England, and how Leprechaun is an Irish word for midget -.-

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
haha sorry mm3 but that's what everyone from the US says "ehh yeh my dads parent's sisters uncals dog was half irish" sorry just a bit of Irish humor there

No offence man but half of America has Irish blood in them.but yeh ur right some people are just idiots

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
haha, this is true. But still, I still got my closer Irish roots. Most other people who have Irish roots usually had ancestors come over here in like, 1830 or something like that.

Least I'm more... recent..

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
yeh ok I give u that mm

W8 in fact could u tell me do u learn about Irish history in school? We have a entire chapter on the American revolution

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
I don't learn about Ireland... I don't learn about the American revolution... Damn my school sucks...

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, I understand the Irish love their whiskey (I don't think this is made up, Bailey's rocks :p).

Also, that you love potatoes (I'm with you on that one).

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
And one person thought Ireland was fully apart of England (some people would of hit him for saying that
Well, we were fed all the IRA and Northern Ireland stuff in English class time after time. Kind of sticks to you when that's about the only thing you hear about Ireland, although I guess things changed apruptly after 09/11.
Besides, thinking Ireland is attached to ENgland is stupid..why would "Ireland" sound like "island"? :biggrin:

haha, this is true. But still, I still got my closer Irish roots. Most other people who have Irish roots usually had ancestors come over here in like, 1830 or something like that.
That's probably why there are so few people in Ireland now - they all left and emigrated to the U.S. :eek: With 1/2 of all Americans being Irish and 1/4 being German, there must be fewer Americans with French, Spanish or other heritage than I thought! :tongueout:

Peachy

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
yeh ok time for a history lesson

Ok about have of Ireland emigrated to the US when the great famine hit. Bk there people lived off potatoes because thay were easy to grow but the crop failed a few years in a row cosing millions to leave Ireland now adays we done survie off them but all old Irish resipes use them.

And that's the reason so meny Americans have a Irish great great grandad...actialy Irish history is quite amazing

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Anywhere's history is amazing if you bother to learn it. Good point that people don't though. The problem is it is difficult for people to learn alot of history about a lot of countries and the more influencial countries tend to get more known about them. Ireland has always been overshadowed by the plethora of higly influencial countries in Europe (I mean half the G8 is european).

I have never made any of those assumptions though, and if somebody actually did make such stupid mistakes they deserve whatever they get.

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
well in my school I learn about the America and French revolution already and I still got 3 years left...I just thought u would learn at lest a bit about us...most of are resent history is just people getting pissed off with England though :S

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've studied Irish history before and I have to admit, I found it frightfully boring... so I can see why some people might be so ill-informed. That said, anybody who thinks leprechauns exist has problems beyond what just a few history lessons can remedy...

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
well what part were u learning because there is a dry bit from the 1950s till the trubles in Northern Ireland

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Everything from the 1798 rebellion up until the establishment of the Irish Free State.

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
that bord u...hmmm I guess I just like history...well I found the 1916 riseing very gd and the civil war

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I just always found Irish history paled in comparison to what was going on elsewhere in the world at the same time. While the Easter Rising was happening, for example, you had the Battle of Verdun in France.

But nooooooo... we had to learn about a couple of thousand lunatic nationalists rather than hundreds of thousands of Germans and Frenchmen blowing each other up.

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
hay don't blame the nationalists what would u do if America was taken over and u have to learn a new language and were constently discrmited agenst...the Irish language and sports are neerly dead but thay are still there because of those "lunitics"

Status
Not open for further replies.