So i get it but I don't

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
Ok after looking through the posts I get it there are kids that need diapers past the age of toddler. I also get older kids with bedwetting issues. I also get the idea that we are trying to take some of the stigma away from diapers.
What I don't get is are we starting a trend of kids not being potty trained by school age. At least daytime trained? I also understand youth size diapers for those with disabilities. I just don't quite understand why. I am open for discussion on this if you all are open to it. I am not wanting to argue the point just understand where society is going with this?
GO..

Not being a parent, I don't really feel like I have much of a dog in this hunt. I'd like us to generally, as a society, be less uptight about things like diapers but I don't see the need to march for it specifically. Our society works on an expectation of use of indoor plumbing and I think that makes sense. We can allow for outliers (like ourselves) but the default is going to be folks learning to use toilets and that seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: littlemoosey and lilshelly
I'm not a Parent but it does seem like under the guise of Parents going to the approach of "waiting until the Child is ready for Potty Training" instead of trying to Potty train them by a certain age that there is a significantly higher portion of kids still in diapers at a much later age

Though I think most still get Potty Trained before they start school.

I have seen videos multiple times stating that there is an alarming number of kids these days not Potty Trained by school age.

So that makes it so someone at the school has to Diaper kids or try to encourage kids to use the Potty if they are in Potty Training; so that would either be the Nurse, or maybe even a Teacher or Teachers aid.

And I don't think it should fall to school staff to do such a thing unless it was a special case or a school for kids that have difficulties getting potty trained or what have you.

I don't think society is making such a push, but rather Society allows for it to happen, so that allows Parents to be lazy (if the kid isn't facing physical or developmental disabilities that is)

I have seen a (sort of) local new story that mentions that the public schools in my State (at least in that county) actually allows parents to have their kids go to school through Kindergarten or maybe even 1st grade without being Potty Trained yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Lewis Badger, littlemoosey and lilshelly
I believe this is at least partly a misconception. We ARE much more well connected now than even 10 years ago. We are also more open to talking about things that have previously been hush-hush. I don't believe there is that much of greater percentage of kids who are not 100% fully potty trained. Not compared to even 100 years ago. I do believe we hear of it more, because it is dealt with more openly and there are products/parents that actually support kids like this though.

Reactions: Dinotopian2002, Reward and lilshelly
There's also 4T-5T training pants that are made by 2 big companies, maybe that size are targeted towards preschoolers who are potty training late? Seems like training pants aren't just for toddlers anymore.

Last edited:
Trevor said:
Not being a parent, I don't really feel like I have much of a dog in this hunt. I'd like us to generally, as a society, be less uptight about things like diapers but I don't see the need to march for it specifically. Our society works on an expectation of use of indoor plumbing and I think that makes sense. We can allow for outliers (like ourselves) but the default is going to be folks learning to use toilets and that seems reasonable to me.
You are correct about society and its expectations of using indoor plumbing and it reminded me of a story that my great aunt told me years ago about her two aunts. this had to be around 1925 to 1930 and she was saying that her aunts would go outside in their long dresses and just wander around the back yard in rural Indiana. come to find out they were using the back yard as their personal toilet. Why, when they had an outhouse? who knows. Was it acceptable back then? evidently in their area it was. Never had the foresight to ask her why her aunts just didnt use that outhouse or wear a diaper.

I think diapers are becoming normalized, not ABDL, just diapers.

I also think we have bigger diapers being made for toddlers because kids themselves have gotten bigger so they need to accommodate obese toddlers. I wonder what parents did 30 years ago if their toddler outgrew diapers, especially if they had a weight problem? Maybe they forced potty trained them or they used youth diapers or just let them have accidents all over and keep changing their pants and cleaning up after them until they learned to use the toilet.

Calico said:
I think diapers are becoming normalized, not ABDL, just diapers.

I also think we have bigger diapers being made for toddlers because kids themselves have gotten bigger so they need to accommodate obese toddlers. I wonder what parents did 30 years ago if their toddler outgrew diapers, especially if they had a weight problem? Maybe they forced potty trained them or they used youth diapers or just let them have accidents all over and keep changing their pants and cleaning up after them until they learned to use the toilet.
wasn't it a fad in Japan for the young people..ie..in their twenties to wear diapers? As for what parents did for the kids that were of bigger size or that were older than five, I would assume it would have been no different than for an adult that was incontinent back then. They just cut out bigger diapers to accommodate the size of the person. I actually had a GGG grandfather that fought in the Civil War and he got what they called Piles? from dysentery and he ended up being fecal incontinent the rest of his life.

I believe it’s due to the concept of being a kinder and gentler world.
To force your child to learn something they may not be ready for can be seen as child abuse in modern society, however if said child is still I diapers past the age of 4 with no apparent signs of a disability it can be seen a child abuse or neglect, and your child can be taken away from you.
Now my personal feelings on this subject is to let the child determine when they are ready to potty train and give up the diapers, regardless of what age they are.
A good friend of mine let her children chose when to give up the diaper and I remember her 2nd child was in diapers up until her first day in school, the child did not want to wear diapers to school and have to be changed at school, this child never had a accident after giving up the diapers.

Last edited:
lonnie said:
I believe it’s due to the concept of being a kinder and gentler world.
To force your child to learn something they may not be ready for can be seen as child abuse in modern society, however if said child is still I diapers past the age of 4 with no apparent signs of a disability it can be seen a child abuse or neglect, and your child can be taken away from you.
Now my personal feelings on this subject is to let the child determine when they are ready to potty train and give up the diapers, regardless of what age they are.
A good friend of mine let her children chose when to give up the diaper and I remember her 2nd child was in diapers up until her first day in school, the child did not want to wear diapers to school and have to be changed at school, this child never had a accident after giving up the diapers.
I agree with you in letting the child decide. My older brother at the age of 2 or 3 kept taking his diaper off and wanting to use the potty so he more or less trained himself. On the flip side, my one nephew wore diapers like your friends child up until the first day of school. I believe the school system told my sister that he couldn't start school unless he was out of diapers at least during the day. I think he stopped wearing at night shortly thereafter.

When I was growing up it was as if your Mother had failed if she couldn't get her kids out of nappies by the time the were 2 or 3 at the latest especially during the day. Starting school in nappies was not even considered.

ST50 said:
When I was growing up it was as if your Mother had failed if she couldn't get her kids out of nappies by the time the were 2 or 3 at the latest especially during the day. Starting school in nappies was not even considered.

Ditto, it was an Olympic event, mother’s got the “gold” and bragging rights at the bridge party for getting their child “trained” prior to age 2. To my mothers consternation, I was still wearing late into the 3’s. I do remember the shaming techniques that were employed by both my mother and father.

Yup I’d also agree that in the past the general consensus was to make the child potty train as soon as possible, as it would make you look like a bad parent and you’d lose bragging rights

Nowadays society is more laid back, nobody wants to actually parent their kids and they don’t care what others think. They just let the kid do whatever and wait for them to decide when to potty train

I feel like a balance needs to be made though

You shouldn't force a kid to Potty Train too early

But you also shouldn't be sending the kid to school in Diapers if they don't have a Physical or Developmental disability that makes it hard to Potty Train them at a normal age

Last edited:
Reactions: 12srepaid and littlemoosey
My sister-in-law didn’t want to push one of my nephews to potty train before he was ready and now he’s 10 and still wearing pull ups. He’s homeschooled along with her other 3 kids and I suspect he could use the toilet if he wanted to, but she’s too lazy to make him. Not my monkeys, not my circus so I keep out of it.

AAO said:
My sister-in-law didn’t want to push one of my nephews to potty train before he was ready and now he’s 10 and still wearing pull ups. He’s homeschooled along with her other 3 kids and I suspect he could use the toilet if he wanted to, but she’s too lazy to make him. Not my monkeys, not my circus so I keep out of it.

Most would say that is going too far to allow the kid to still wear Pull-Ups at 10; but like you said not your problem so you keep out of it; same with me; I'm not the type of person to tell people they are "Parenting Wrong" not my kids not my problem.

Reactions: 12srepaid and Lewis Badger
BabyTyrant said:
Most would say that is going too far to allow the kid to still wear Pull-Ups at 10; but like you said not your problem so you keep out of it; same with me; I'm not the type of person to tell people they are "Parenting Wrong" not my kids not my problem.
I go back and forth on my thinking about it. On one hand I get it, I wanted to wear diapers all the time at 10 years old. But I also think it is a good thing that my parents didn’t let me. Some middle ground where they let me wear every once in a while would have been nice but that’s just wishful thinking.

As a parent.... Some kids do have wetting issues, but a vast majority are easily potty trained by 3.

Schools here require kids to be potty trained before they start preschool.

Most kids I know of that are not potty trained by 3 are the product of weak or uncaring parents. At least in my area.

I swear a few days ago i was listening to the radio in my car and i heard a story about a problem some state's schools were having where more kids are in diapers longer and schools have no one to change them since teachers are not payed nor obligated to do such a thing.

My wife came home form a two week visit to my son's home,, she told me that "do you know that your grandson ( age 12) still wears pull ups to bed".. I said so what so doesn't his grandfather....lol she was not amused

• Haha
Reactions: ykdprdave
Back