So, I found some baby cloth diapers in the attic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
I might upload pictures later.

I wondered if anyone here knew how I should fold baby cloth diapers into something wearable and usable, or if anyone here knows how I can make homemade plastic pants. Nothing in the Wiki on either of these topics. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ryan_d

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Go to a fabric store and buy something that is 100% polyester or vinaly, these make good plastic pants.

I personally recommend vinal because ive always been scared about using the polyester. Than you want to put some elastic, enough to go around your legs and than your hips, and than some.

Than sew it all together, I was going to do all that but than i found a store in my area that sells plastic pants.... so now I'm good :)

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I made my first plastic pants from a shower curtian and "tighty Whitey" waist & leg elastics. I used my moms iron to heat seal the seams.

Nam

fifigal

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Little
Very ingenious, Nam. I also used a shower curtain for my first, home-made diaper covers. I cut the plastic sheet into rectangles that were just slightly larger than the cloth diaper, then I just pinned them on when fastening the diaper with diaper-pins. The plastic sheets did not last long and did not really prevent leaks at all, but at the time it was the best I could do. A poor substitute for real plastic pants, but they were better than nothing.

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I made my first plastic pants from a shower curtian and "tighty Whitey" waist & leg elastics. I used my moms iron to heat seal the seams.

Nam
That's pretty cool, you're like the MacGyver of DL's.

I'd love to see the final product, and a 12-step picture guide of how you did it.

babyemo

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover,
ask your mom how to fold them, she prolly knows!

dprdinky

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Fold into thirds lengthwise. Then "fan" out the back where you will lay on them, then pull them up through your crotch. It pins don't attach very well at this point you may have to fan out the front as well. Make sure where the diapers meet in the crotch area remain folded in thirds for extra padding there. You can usually take several baby cloth diapers together to make them much thicker than just 1 of them.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
ask your mom how to fold them, she prolly knows!
I'm a 16yr old who doesn't babysit and doesn't have baby siblings. How do I fold baby diapers to fit someone as large as me?

....that sounds good. >.>

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
That's pretty cool, you're like the MacGyver of DL's.

I'd love to see the final product, and a 12-step picture guide of how you did it.
Thanks! I get the "MacGyver" compliment in many different situations, I a bore tinkerer. I hate to admit though I've never seen the show.

I made the shower curtian pants when I was 17. I'm 49 now so their long gone. Fetware.com makes them for me now. I cut out the plastic in a hourglass shape based on my measurements with extra for a few towels. Then I folded them over and heat sealed the sides. I put the elastics over the waist and legs then folded the plastic over and melted it back to it's self. Use a new curtian, practice the heat sealing a lot first, its hard. Use a low heat and turn it up a little at a time untill it works. too hot it melts right through and sticks to the iron. I rember using some kinda mini ironing board thing my mom had for sleaves or pant legs to press it against. My first couple tries didn't end well.

Nam

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I don't think the baby cloth diaper will fit you folded, but if you have a 30" waste or smaller, it will fit if you pin just the corners. I still sometimes do this,as using real baby diapers is a turn on for me. You could double diaper as this would give you more absorbency. If there were pre-fold diapers as well, you could put them in the regular cloth ones and that would work.

redtails

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer, Other
Sadly, I cannot offer information about how to fold them into an actual nappy, but folding them into a rectangular shape will certainly work out as a doubler to put inside another diaper. For all I know, you don't even need a cloth diaper to do this, I mean a towel is made of exactly the same material! (just less soft I assume). Try some things :D, all is possible in the real world

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
I wondered if anyone here knew how I should fold baby cloth diapers into something wearable and usable...

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you were intending daily use, then you could buy some large or toddler DSQ ("diaper service quality") prefolds, either Indian or Chinese in the "twill" weave. Either type will be resistant to pilling and hold up well over many launderings. The Indian are said to be a bit softer.

After several washings, they will shrink down and "fluff up"; and this is when they're actually ready to use. Just insert one or two (as to your preference) in a regular brief (or "tighty whitey"). The diaper will fit the same in the brief as it would in an actual diaper cover, but rather than fasten at the sides, the system will work like a pull-on.

Good luck.

Honeywell6180

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
:bunny: I like wearing them as diaper doublers (folded in thirds inside my diapers). They feel very babyish when wet. :bunny:

redtails

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer, Other
:bunny: I like wearing them as diaper doublers (folded in thirds inside my diapers). They feel very babyish when wet. :bunny:
How insightful of you.. How can you feel the difference between a baby cloth nappy and an adult cloth nappy anyway? They're made of the same material, after all!

Roy1

Contributor
Role
Other
Baby cloth diapers are difficult to use. I found a pair of Salk Sani Pants at a drug store for about $7. I tried all sorts of way to use those small diapers, but generally it always ended up a bunchy mess in the sanipants.

I think that your best bet is to get some fabric glue and glue several together, allowing them to overlap to get the correct size and extra padding in the middle. Your size should be approx 25" x 33" or 29" x 36" if you need larger. (The wiki also has some size information)

Once you have made your diaper you can find some folding instructions online. This site has one set of instructions in the wiki, fetware.com has four different ways:

Triangle Fold
Standard Pinned Fold
Variation on Standard Pinned Fold
Bikini Twist

Status
Not open for further replies.