So be honest, have you ever been stupid enough to do this?

See above ^

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude84

Banned
Role
Adult Baby
Basically, I was just thinking that in 16 years of using computers of various types (yes, right from when I was 7 :p) i've never been stupid enough to delete some files then realise "oh shit", and had to spend hours recovering them using heurestic tools...

I mean, i've lost data, through equipment failiure mainly, but it's been archived or backed-up previously. In this case, I actioned my great strike of stupidity just before I was due to do that.

So, have you ever been stupid enough to delete some files, then realise straight after you have no other copy?

Role
Sissy
Not fully delete something thats important no. I've deleted alot of stuff too the recycle bin and then found it in there when i got to clear it out a few days later.

I've been stupid enough to try to hide pr0n in a game folder and then then ask for help to fix the program when it started crashing.... Thats embarrassing! At least that was before I discovered ABDL :sweatdrop:

Dude84

Banned
Role
Adult Baby
Heh, i'm the sole administrator on my three machines, which has its uses. Also, I normally "stash" that kind of stuff in non-descript or mis-named directories, such as "Network Access Policy (Revised) English"...

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
yeah. usually something I could just re-download though.

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I've had to rewrite homework assignments and job applications quite a few times due to just being an idiot. I'd be clearing through things and call something something lame like job app without being specific and then just delete it. Lately though I've started using more logical document names so that doesn't happen so often.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Once I decided to be lazy and "move" files to my external hdd instead of "copy". Big mistake. Part way through, the drive failed, and my files were all gone. Fortunately it was nothing terribly important, but annoying nonetheless.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I do it all the time! Mainly because I name stuff kngwboewih and then keep it on my desktop. Not that big of a deal usually... I get over it fairly quickly. Only thing I keep very detailed and organized is my images and website files.

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I've done it, not due to lack of computer skill, just plainly from carelessness

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I have sometimes...And some of those times, it's lucky enough to only be in the recycle bin...

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
i have been stupid by deleting a object in SL and Purge it in the trash

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
A few months ago I wanted to free up all the space on my portable Hard Disk Drive. My Itunes program was pulling music directly off that so I hated that thing going on. I copy the music all over to my 320 GB computer HDD delete all the stuff off the portable drive then realize I got to re sync all of these 50 GB's of music into Itunes. I think I also had to re sync my 20 gig Ipod as well.

But I never truly lost it all, It just made it a very big hassle.

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
and i have my abdl pr0ns in the guest account under new folder.
Any names NOBODY would care about???

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
I guess once I must have accidentally deleted all of my songs on Stepmania somehow. And one time I had a game that I just decided to screw with for fun, and I instinctively saved it when I had the chance. >.<

But nothing more important than that. n.n;

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I once deleted some important video files, right after I had just taped over it! >.<
But luckily, I have Time Machine now that came on my Mac, and backup is automatic and it's sooo easy to recover files with it.

r0bino

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
On Topic: I don't think I ever deleted files that are important to me, like chatlogs or something. Sometimes I'm cleaning my harddrive a bit too, good, though, and delete installation files for some big programs. I can redownload them easily, but with my not-so-fast connection it usually takes a few minutes.

Off Topic: Why do you all hide your pr0n or other personal stuff in misnamed folders? Everybody with a bit of computer knowledge will find it using the built-in search program (Mark "All HDs" and search for *.jpg. Only show the ones > 300 kbyte, for example). Instead, do it securely and get TrueCrypt from TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux. This program lets you create a hidden partition (*), and it automatically encrypts it with a password, too. This way you have nothing to fear if your computer ever gets stolen (blackmail) / it's not embarrasing if the police has confiscated it because of p2p etc... . Just be sure to write the password down somewhere (maybe with a minor modification), it would be bad to lose all your precious files just because you can't remember the password. This might be a bad idea if you have really sensitive files, but we are talking about personal use here, after all :)

(*)(The partition is usually a file somewhere on your drive which gets mounted by truecrypt. You can givea random name to that file (Like, windows.dat or corrupt01.jpg)

E

Error404

+
Heh, i'm the sole administrator on my three machines, which has its uses. Also, I normally "stash" that kind of stuff in non-descript or mis-named directories, such as "Network Access Policy (Revised) English"...
Haha... Here's one for you. Something I call RASHing.

Make a folder on your C: drive called 'hidden'

Click start then hit 'Run' (OR Windows + R key if you're a geek. <3)

In that bar type attrib c:\hidden +r +a +s +h

Then hit enter

Go to your c: drive. Refresh. Folder is hidden. - Enable view hidden folders. It's not there.

In your address bar, type c:\hidden

Oh look...Your folder.

If anyone wants me to explain what they did to them, be sure to drop me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Off Topic: Why do you all hide your pr0n or other personal stuff in misnamed folders? Everybody with a bit of computer knowledge will find it using the built-in search program (Mark "All HDs" and search for *.jpg. Only show the ones > 300 kbyte, for example). Instead, do it securely and get TrueCrypt from TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux. This program lets you create a hidden partition (*), and it automatically encrypts it with a password, too. This way you have nothing to fear if your computer ever gets stolen (blackmail) / it's not embarrasing if the police has confiscated it because of p2p etc... . Just be sure to write the password down somewhere (maybe with a minor modification), it would be bad to lose all your precious files just because you can't remember the password. This might be a bad idea if you have really sensitive files, but we are talking about personal use here, after all :)

(*)(The partition is usually a file somewhere on your drive which gets mounted by truecrypt. You can givea random name to that file (Like, windows.dat or corrupt01.jpg)
LoL I have it and its hilarious to see people asking why do I have a 128Mb file called aaa.a I just tell them that Vista sucks for making system files that big (that's why Vista asks for XL HHD)

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Yes indeed! I did it several years ago with our office CADD system when I was one of the admins.:eek: I really didn't want or like the job, but was asked to do it due to office politics involving the woman in charge. But that's another can of worms and really not on topic.

Anyway, our old system would keep a temp. plot file every time you'd plot a drawing. Problem was, if you didn't delete them regularly they would eventually eat up the available memory in the drive where they accumulated. Once that happened the whole CADD system would lock up and all 25 drafting personnel would be at a standstill. That happened one day while I was too busy beating out a design job deadline to worry about temp files. The system locked up and, not thinking, I went to the drive, typed in the old DOS command: DELETE *.*, and blew everything in the drive away. The system was immediately up and running again as I knew it would be. One problem, I had forgotten the plotter config files were also in that drive and without them the plotters wouldn't work. The wildcard delete command deleted them as well! Fortunately for me I had Novell training and knew the salvage tool to get recently deleted files back. Once restored, I breathed a sigh of relief and they were changed to "read only" to keep that accident from ever happening again.

~Pramrider

Little ollie

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
+

Haha... Here's one for you. Something I call RASHing.

Make a folder on your C: drive called 'hidden'

Click start then hit 'Run' (OR Windows + R key if you're a geek. <3)

In that bar type attrib c:\hidden +r +a +s +h

Then hit enter

Go to your c: drive. Refresh. Folder is hidden. - Enable view hidden folders. It's not there.

In your address bar, type c:\hidden

Oh look...Your folder.

If anyone wants me to explain what they did to them, be sure to drop me a PM.
Can still be found as all it does is set the folder to a system protected folder so if you show those then it can be scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.