Smoky smokerson and the smokes

SparkyDog

Full Time U-IC DL
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
If you live near a wildfire or smoke is blowing your way how are you handling it?

Being in Alberta we have had more Smoke filled days than not. Today is an other smoky day. My eyes hurt & sting, my nose is stuffed. I hate it.
add a weather heat warning on top and it is just miserable. šŸ˜£

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Cottontail, Edgewater, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Hi sparkydog, an air purifier works really well to trap smoke particles, I have used one before during some really bad wildfires smoke here in Nevada. Preferably a HEPA rated filter
They sell them at hardware stores and large retail outlets..

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, treehopper and Diprs2
@Jorelaxed
i have one
sitting beside it going full blast
it helps
but I cant take it with me

Reactions: Edgewater, Jorelaxed and Diprs2
Use a NS95 mask, those are very effective against soot particles and smoke

Reactions: Edgewater and SparkyDog
I don't live near a wildfire but it been all over the USA ! I live in the middle of the mid-west and not very long ago I was having some issues also for a few days until a cold front and some rain came in clear it out ! WE still have hazy skies here from the fires!

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater and Jorelaxed
Rita said:
I don't live near a wildfire but it been all over the USA ! I live in the middle of the mid-west and not very long ago I was having some issues also for a few days until a cold front and some rain came in clear it out ! WE still have hazy skies here from the fires!
Its been a very hazy weekend here which also makes the days hotter.
We don't have any significant rain in the forecast to knock the smoke down

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater and Jorelaxed
We have a full home HEPA rated filter on our HVAC (furnace /AC) and adjust the fan setting to run 20 minutes of every hour to filter the air in the full home. Some automobiles have a cabin air filter that most individuals choose not to have changed. They do help, but not to the level of a HEPA filter.

Face mask can be helpful, but can be dangerous if you are active as they can cause you to overheat.

Life has been a pain with the high pollen level and heavy smoke from the wild fires!

Last edited:
Reactions: SparkyDog
@Edgewater I have a portable hepa filter running & furnace set to fan mode
doors & windows closed
I do change my car cabin air filter every oil change & use recirculation mode with AC to keep cool.

Reactions: Edgewater
Crazy Canucks! Don't you have Smoky McSmokeface Bear in Canada? Quit setting your forests on fire!

(It's mostly lightning, right?)

On a more serious note: I'm sorry for the folks who are dealing with this right now. I know it'll be my turn soon.

I'm in northwest Washington, and it's become an unfortunate summer tradition to get a double dose of wildfire smoke, from Canada as well as the north Cascades area of Washington. I grew up in this area and can't remember experiencing smoke like this until the 2010s. Hooray for climate change! We've had a good bit of haze over the Puget Sound region for the last week or so, but it's nothing like what's being experienced in other parts of the country. When it gets really bad here, we keep our windows closed and run the furnace fan to keep circulating the inside air through the filter. At some point I might have to get an electronic air cleaner though, because the filter probably doesn't help much with the ultra-fine particulates in smoke.

We've had some particularly bad episodes the last few summers. On several occasions the smoke was so thick that the sun was barely visible, even when directly overhead, and ash has fallen like snow--from fires that are more than a hundred miles away.

Last edited:
@Cottontail
yea seems no distance limit we get some from the other side of the province.
we get BC & California smoke too

the thing that drives me nuts is we have over 70 wild fires and majority of the fire bans were lifted šŸ«¢

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater and Cottontail
SparkyDog said:
we get BC & California smoke too
I think we got California smoke last year also--definitely caught in the crossfire, no pun intended.

SparkyDog said:
the thing that drives me nuts is we have over 70 wild fires and majority of the fire bans were lifted šŸ«¢
Wacky. :/ We don't usually see the burn bans go into effect here until July, but with how dry things are already, I won't be surprised if they come a bit early. Last summer was exceptionally dry here too--almost ten weeks straight with no rain. I have a feeling we'll be in your shoes soon.

@Cottontail
we need a week of steady rain
the odd rain fall isn't helping especially if it's paired with Thunder Storms

Reactions: Cottontail and Edgewater
We had a few really gross smokey days here in Connecticut, schools canceled outdoor sports and it looked like covid was back with so many people wearing masks. There is a fine ash like grey pollen I had to wash off my solar panels. Thankfully the last few days have been better.

Nam Repaid said:
We had a few really gross smokey days here in Connecticut, schools canceled outdoor sports and it looked like covid was back with so many people wearing masks. There is a fine ash like grey pollen I had to wash off my solar panels. Thankfully the last few days have been better.
Yea we saw photos you all got it hard
we haven't had that thick but so constant of medium smoke levels has just been miserable

Back