Smoking Ban Laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
In Britain, aprroximatelly a year ago, it was deemed illegal to smoke into pubs. This excostracized many smokers, and caused them to quit because they could not enjoy a cigarette with their beer at the end of a day. The reason, as many of you know, was that it was for the safety of the workers in the pubs, and the non smokers.
There is soon to be a law that will ban smoking in every single public place, even outdoors. Smokers will in fact be forced to smoke only at their house, friends houses who are okay with it, or designated places in public.

Discuss. For the smoking ban? Partially for? Againt?

I personally am partially for the smoking ban. Banning smoking in a pub is acceptable. However, in an attempt not to alienate the smoking % (Which, admittedly, is low in the UK, but in other countries where this law is applicant is rather high) there could be designated pubs which could be 'smoking'. Ergo, if your a non smoker or someone seeking work, have a drink or apply here at your own risk of second hand smoke.

The liscences to a pub which allows this would be hard to attain and take time, to make sure an economic inbalance would not be created. Also, smoking could be allowed after a designated time. (e.g 19:00-01:00)

As for no smoking even in outdoors? I find it simply ludicrous. It doesnt take half a second for you, being a smoker, or not, to move 5 meters away from the other person. Second hand smoke problem finished.

Anarchy mode, discuss.

Role
Private
People keep getting all tight about smoking in clubs, yet there always seems to be a smoke machine or two filling the room with smoke. I know, not quite the same, but you're still breathing in other things than air which can be irritating to some people's lungs all the same.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
There is a similar law here that ban smoke in public places like pubs, supermarket, shops, public transport.....
If you smoke inside a public place you can get a fine from 25 to 500 euros; you can be forced pay double fine if you smoke near a pregnant woman.

I'm totality with it, I can't understand why I must breathe smoke if I don't want.
Passive smoke is dangerous and could cause respiratory diseases and lungs cancer, and is more dangerous if you smoke near somebody with a disease (for example Cystic fibrosis).

I heard people against don't want it saying "smoke is dangerous, but smog too and it is everywhere, so if you breathe more junk what will change?".
Then my answer "Are you joking I hope".

Difference in quantities are important, so don't use it as an excuse to try to poison non-smokers.

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
In the state of Florida, our governor passed a smoking ban about five years ago. It banned smoking in any establishment that made over 20% of their revenue from the sale of food items. I'm pretty sure the ban also bans smoking in public places except for designated areas. I am 100% for the ban. Mainly because my parents are both nurses and have always said that smoking is a gross habit and it causes cancer and etc.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Ban smoking indoors? You bet, because I don't like having to sit in rooms that stink of smoke or where the smoke is so thick that it's impossible to tell if the person sitting on the other side of the table is a guy, girl, or alien.
I'm also in favor of banning smoking in open-air places where lots of people have to sit in close proximity to each other, such as sports stadiums. I don't want smokers on railway stations or in parks either, not because of their smoke, but because too many just flick their cigarrette butts onto the ground wherever they are. It just looks ugly, and costs lot of money to remove.

But if people stand alone in the street and smoke I couldn't care less, unless I walk past and they blow their smoke into my face.

But whatever the law is, it's impossible to ban that horrible stench coming from the clothes and the mouths of smokers. *pukes*

Peachy

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'm all in favor for banning smoking inside places, and away from extremely public places.

Our government passed a law now that you have to be 500metres or something away from a Government building.

Now though, they are trying to ban smoking in the car when your child is in there. That -- I think is utter bullshit to put it bluntly. If parents are irresponsible to pollute their childs lungs, that is their choice. It's not the governments choice. If a person pays for their car - their insurance - their gas, then they should be able to smoke in their car, plain and simple.

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
There has been a Smoking ban here in Fort Wayne and Allen County for the last year. This covers all restaurants ,public buildings and work places. As a non smoker I think its great. But it has hurt some of the Bars and Pubs around town. If any thing could be changed in this law It would be that smoking be allowed in establishments that only allow those over 21 to enter. Also most of our Hospitals have banned smoking all together on there campuses.:twocents:

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
They keep trying to pass laws like that here in Pa, the individual citys have there own laws, but they keep being shot down by the smokers.

I don't care who smokes, as long as I don't have to smell it, if they all die it means more air for me.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I am all in favor of a smoking ban inside public buildings... for everyone's health. If you choose to smoke... that is your decision to make and no-one should criticize you for it. However if you do it outside... or in your own home or car... why does that matter to anyone?

On the other hand... if your smoking is potentially endangering the health of your children the government needs to step in and do something. Healthcare in Canada is provided by the government... and we all know the health problems caused by prolonged tobacco usage. I personally think that Canada should outlaw smoking period b/c paying for all the health problems caused by smoking costs the taxpayers money. If you want to get your own private health insurance out of your own pocket then sure, puff away... otherwise your well-being is the government's responcibility... so they have every right to say what you can and cannot do in reguards to your health.

Mandi: You just posted a rant the other day about how frustrated it made you that your mom smoked inside the house when you were trying to quit. I figured you would at least be sympathetic when it comes to a ban on smoking in the presence of minors.

Every single human being on this planet has a right to clean air to breath... from birth until death. If you choose to breath something else... okay... but at least give me a choice whether to put up with it or not.

All this being said... I do have friends who smoke... I hang out at their house... it doesn't bother me at all. However I do have a choice in the matter... so I can't blame anyone but myself if I suddenly decide to stop putting up with it. My friends are very considerate and only smoke outside or in the back room... so there isn't a problem.

There exists a so-called "smokers' etiquitte"... unwritten rules... generalized common-sense guidelines on when and where it is appropriate to smoke, and many smokers follow them. There are some who do not... and these are the people who need to be educated. It's like if I were to drop a load in my diaper and go sit in a crowded theatre or restaurant. It smells... it is rude and inconsiderate... there are people who would rather not have to deal with it. The same applies to lighting up a smoke.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Darkfinn,

I completely agree with you, on the ban inside. However, my whole point with smoking inside the car is that it is personal space, and space that someone should have the right to smoke in.

Whether or not the Gov. pays for our healthcare has nothing to do with it, and the Gov. doesn't pay for everyones. I know for a fact my mother pays for our health care (Granted, we have much better hospital accommodations, as well as free drugs because of it.)

If I pay for my car. If I pay to drive my car, e.g. gas, and if I pay the insurance, as well as all those silly car tests you need every year, as well as renewing plates and my license then that is -my- space, and -my- things, and I should be able to do what I want with them. If that includes smoking then that is my issue.

Now, I don't think it is right to smoke in the car with a minor, and I don't like that my mom does it with me (Especially lately) however she chooses to disregard my feelings. That is HER choice though, and it should remain HER choice, not the Governments.

They may not want people to smoke with their children, but they shouldn't be able to control whether they do or not, and that's my bitch with it. Again, you mentioned the free healthcare. If the Gov. wants to ban everyone on welfare, disability, or something similar then be my guest. However - that argument doesn't stand up when it involves people who pay for their healthcare.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
You are correct on the free healthcare thing Mandi. We have people on welfare and medicare here who smoke a pack a day... which just pisses me off to no end b/c I am paying for that in some small part.

About the car thing... sure... your car... your private space... smoke away. However I don't think that your monther smoking in the car when you are riding along is okay. If I remember correctly that exact situation is what the whole car smoking ban is really about. They're not trying to ban smoking in cars altogether... they're just trying to keep minors... especially infants... from being exposed to it.

It certainly is your mothers' choice... but ultimately it will be you who suffers. Some of the guys I grew up with came from homes where their parents and grandparents smoked like freight trains... the kids had bad asthma and all sorts of difficulties... were getting sick all the time. Now I'm not going to blame that on just the smoke... but it certainly didn't help the situation any.

Samaki

Contributor
Role
In the state of Florida, our governor passed a smoking ban about five years ago. It banned smoking in any establishment that made over 20% of their revenue from the sale of food items. I'm pretty sure the ban also bans smoking in public places except for designated areas. I am 100% for the ban. Mainly because my parents are both nurses and have always said that smoking is a gross habit and it causes cancer and etc.
actually i believe in Florida it was inside any public place just to tell you -,-

I kinda like that law, that you can only smoke in designated areas around the city, sounds kind of like Disney world, there are certain designated places to smoke at.

Smoke doesn't bother me to much, but I can start having a coughing fit from being near someone who smokes, and it used to be really bad when I was younger, because I have bad lungs and stuff, I would cough ALL the time whenever i was around smoking people.

I can't even go over to my friends house because her mom smokes soooo much, I walked into the house and i seriously could not breathe, it was a really stale smoke too which made it worse.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
On the healthcare issue, I can't speak with any authority about Canada, but in the UK we have a publicly funded healthcare system and there have been a few rumblings here and there about smokers or obese people or anyone who is perceived to bring their illness on themselves being forced to pay for their care. I'm dead against that, the point of the NHS is that anyone at any time can get the best healthcare available when they need it – regardless of wealth, status, class and so on – as a basic right of being a British citizen. You either hold to that ideal or you don't but if you start treating those in need differently and placing different demands on certain people then I think the idea of a National Health Service - free at the point of need - is being lost.

On smoking bans, I'm all for them in enclosed public places on the basis that there shouldn't be an unqualified right to do something that damages the health of those around you, but I don't think they can be justified in outdoor areas. The former sounds rather like an attempt to simply manage and influence individual's behaviour. I wouldn't be against the possibility of some kind of license that exempts certain premises from the ban though. Places that exist primarily or significantly as a social point in which to smoke – shisha bars and so on – should be allowed to exist because the issue of non-smokers being affected isn't really relevant and if people chose to smoke, then it is there right to do so.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Smoking is awesome. It should be allowed everywhere. Why? Because my opinion is pretty much the most important one that exists.

What needs to be remembered, regardless of how much you like to smoke or how little you like to smoke, or even be around it ... is that smokers are as beneficial to American (and I make that distinction because I'm not sure about other countries), environment are society as much as they are "harmful". The taxes on cigarettes and the income earned from smokers is put majorly back into environmental and educational programs governed by the government. Look it up, and you might be surprised to see just how much annual helpful revenue is produced by nicotine addicts.

Secondly, although I quit cold-turkey four months ago, I find that cigarette smokers are entirely being "witch-hunted" nowadays in American society. Personally, I think people need to get the bugs out of their ass and focus on things that are far more important. Hell, at my college, smoking isn't even allowed in cars -- a rule which I constantly broke. Why? Because it's bullshit, that's why.

So Society, let's be big boys and focus on shit a little more important.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I personally think that Canada should outlaw smoking period b/c paying for all the health problems caused by smoking costs the taxpayers money. If you want to get your own private health insurance out of your own pocket then sure, puff away... otherwise your well-being is the government's responcibility... so they have every right to say what you can and cannot do in reguards to your health.
Actually, you're wrong there. Smokers are beneficial for any kind of public health insurance or pension scheme: Smokers die at a younger age, and usually after a short and severe disease (like lung cancer). So the health insurance and the pension fund both have to pay less money to smokers over all, while non-smokers live longer and thus need more money for health services and get their pensions for a longer time.
From a financial perspective, the government should encourage everyone to smoke - they make a pile of tobacco tax and on top get cheaper health care/pension schemes for everyone.

Peachy

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I'm a non-smoker so my opinion probably doesn't count...but anyway...I AGREE with the ban on smoking in public places which includes smoking within 10m of the door of a pubic building. In my city there is also a ban on smoking on the boardwalk along the harbourfront! And one town in the province (at least) has banned smoking in your car with minors present.

Of course, the HRM is also a scent-free environment, which is the reason I moved here. Scented products are not to be worn in most public buildings, including the transit system. :-D

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Actually, you're wrong there. Smokers are beneficial for any kind of public health insurance or pension scheme: Smokers die at a younger age, and usually after a short and severe disease (like lung cancer). So the health insurance and the pension fund both have to pay less money to smokers over all, while non-smokers live longer and thus need more money for health services and get their pensions for a longer time.
From a financial perspective, the government should encourage everyone to smoke - they make a pile of tobacco tax and on top get cheaper health care/pension schemes for everyone.

Peachy
Well, that maybe on Canada. Here the government has to pay the health care system to make it available to everyone, and since lung cancer or any other smoke-related disease is more expensive than any other, well, it is logical why they are banning smoking.

Anyway I'm with it. Personally I'd ban smoking anywhere, no matter what, but that would make a lot of people upset, so this new law is fine for me.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Part of me agrees with smoking bans in public places and part of me doesn't agree with it. I don't smoke and I don't like smoke, plus I don't think anyone should be exposed to it if they don't like it.... that's the part that agrees with the bans. The part of my mind that disagrees is the part that says it's just another lost freedom. Also, I really see no point whatsoever in banning smoking outdoors.... except maybe to prevent litter. Aren't cigarettes pretty much biodegradable though?

G

gamebaby

i think its a good idea. but for those that are allredy adicted let them have there own smoking area outside. at least for those who do they can do it where it wont bother us. besides, smoking inside and having diffrent sections dont matter. the smoke will drift to you.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I agree with banning smoking in public places, except places were smoking in expected (like a smoking room in a pub/bar or something).
As for outdoors, well I don't see a problem. Except maybe bus shelters, or really crowded areas.

But really, I think that smoking is great! It's heavily taxed, and I don't smoke, so that's great for me! And the health problems caused by smoking are great too, because they tend to be fast killers! So as a non-smoker, it is in my interest for people to smoke.

The children in the car thing: I'm quite torn on this. I think that smoking around children in such a small area is wrong, and so I'm inclined to say that it should be illegal. But then I also see the point that the government are kind of getting too involved.
But then isn't smoking in the car with a child and speeding kind of similar? Both involve putting other people's health in risk, yet surely speeding should be illegal and you can't defend it by saying "-my- car, I can do what I want with it". Although speeding is different because you are doing it on a road that you don't own, and are risking the lives of people that you don't know... But then does being somebody's parent give you the right to put their health at risk? You don't own your children... You can't do what you want with them...

I think that smokers get too much stick really, there's always adverts telling them how evil they are... I'm all for helping those who want to quit to quit, but I see no point in hounding the ones who are quite happy to smoke. Like I said, it's beneficial to me to have people smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.