Smartphone Prices

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Isnt it kinda baffling how most types of technology get simultaneously Better and Cheaper at the same time?

And yet Smartphones have started to get insanely more expensive.

No doubt we have much much better phones than we have had in the past and there has been a lot achieved in the decade or so since the Smartphone became a thing

But the price of these "Flagship" phones is getting ridiculous, and it all started with Apple deciding to go to the $1000 mark, now we have a handful of manufacturers that are making "Flagship" Phones to be sold at or above the $1000+ mark; just a short 5 or 6 years ago the price would have been around half that; never mind the "High Spec" versions with more built in memory going as high as $1500.

I love technology, but I just could never see spending that kind of money on a phone you will probably want to upgrade within 2 or 3 years anyway

I've spent less on my last 3 phones combined than some of these new "Flagship" phones cost by themselves

But there are people that upgrade every year, even with those "Trade in" programs giving them credit from them trading in their old phones they may still have to pay $400-$500 difference.

I mean I guess if you treat your phone as a status symbol and dont wanna get caught with old technology it might be worth it; but to me that is ridiculous that these phones are costing as much as a really good gaming PC would cost

It doesn't even cost that much to make them, on a phone they sell for $900 cost to build that phone and ship it to a retailer is probably closer to $250.

But at least there are a lot of Mid Range phones out there that you can get more towards $500 if you still want a really good phone but dont want to spend "flagship" phone money; mind you $500 is still a lot on a cell phone, but it's a lot more palatable and I think is a much easier sell given that your phone bill will probably cost that much for a year of service and.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I'm waiting until I can buy a 70" smartphone that folds into the size of a postage stamp.

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
its called the apple tax, all you can do is buy second hand or refurbished or something.
Do not buy into it, paying over 400 dollars for a phone is flat out stupid. If i wanted a high end video capture, game system, camera , i would buy those devices. I do not need it in a phone to argue overpricing it. Plus apple manufacture the iphone 6 to be very short in life and had class action lawsuits on it, so I do not even trust these things to last on top of things.

Them not having a true low cost and budget price ranges can go piss off. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go over the top fancy for the minority, but dont be expecting the general public to also be paying that.

Last edited:

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
its called the apple tax, all you can do is buy second hand or refurbished or something.
Do not buy into it, paying over 400 dollars for a phone is flat out stupid. If i wanted a high end video capture, game system, camera , i would buy those devices. I do not need it in a phone to argue overpricing it. Plus apple manufacture the iphone 6 to be very short in life and had class action lawsuits on it, so I do not even trust these things to last on top of things.
Or buy from a brand that charges less, there are literally like dozens of Android Smartphone choices every year; if they didn't sell so many Flagships they would have to put more focus elsewhere; but when a phone can cost upwards of $1000 on a $300 build budget you don't need to sell quite as many as hou would have at half the cost.

Apparently the reason why Apple started charging higher prices was because they started to hit Market Saturation; less people buying new phones every year means to do as good as they used to when selling less phones means they need to charge more money per phone.

I always look for excellent condition used phones and the website I have used for my last 2 phones seems to be pretty good;

unlike eBay they have standards that you cant sell phones that dont work or have excessive damage (like a Shattered Screen or Backplate)

and it uses PayPal just like eBay with some kind of customer support to help with any disputes that might happen (although my past 2 transactions were flawless, got the phone I wanted in the condition I wanted at a way under brand new price)

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy
And yet Smartphones have started to get insanely more expensive.
Yeah. Well, unlike PCs, the phones aren't just assemblies of industry-standard circuit boards and whatnot, and you've got companies like Apple whose profits are utterly dependent on selling new phones. And on top of that, the market for phones is nearing saturation in the US and in Europe. So, to maintain profitability, the new devices have to get more expensive. It's really that simple. Fortunately for Apple, there seem to be quite a few people who, for reasons I can't fathom, feel like they always need to have the latest iPhone.

But I'm with you, and in fact I refuse to pay even $100 for a phone. I've been getting used or NOS Windows Phones off eBay for years. My current phone, a Lumia 830, has been chugging along for almost two years now, which is a record for me. Usually I've dropped them into swimming pools, onto rocks, or otherwise managed to destroy them inside of 18 months. I suppose I'd be more careful if I had a $1000 phone, but then I'd probably feel like I had to buy insurance for it. I definitely can't rationalize that.

Last edited:

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yeah. Well, unlike PCs, the phones aren't just assemblies of industry-standard circuit boards and whatnot, and you've got companies like Apple whose profits are utterly dependent on selling new phones. And on top of that, the market for phones is nearing saturation in the US and in Europe. So, to maintain profitability, the new devices have to get more expensive. It's really that simple. Fortunately for Apple, there seem to be quite a few people who, for reasons I can't fathom, feel like they always need to have the latest iPhone.

But I'm with you, and in fact I refuse to pay even $100 for a phone. I've been getting used or NOS Windows Phones off eBay for years. My current phone, a Lumia 830, has been chugging along for almost two years now, which is a record for me. Usually I've dropped them into swimming pools, onto rocks, or otherwise managed to destroy them inside of 18 months. I suppose I'd be more careful if I had a $1000 phone, but then I'd probably feel like I had to buy insurance for it. I definitely can't rationalize that.
Well, most carriers offer insurance on phones a lot cheaper than Apple (if you are on a contract that is)

I think some people don't realize they make a thing called a Case for Cell Phones so you dont break your $800 Smartphone and then try selling it for $400 with a clean ESN but a messed up screen (or a phone that is 100% brand new, but with a bad ESN)

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
I think some people don't realize they make a thing called a Case for Cell Phones so you dont break your $800 Smartphone and then try selling it for $400 with a clean ESN but a messed up screen (or a phone that is 100% brand new, but with a bad ESN)
Haha, yeah. I think part of the reason for my current phone's epic two-year lifespan (thus far) is that I managed to find a case for it that doesn't completely suck. The Windows devices, being less popular, missed out on a lot of the snazzy protective accessories, but I managed to find a $10 case for the 830 that's actually held up to my abuse.

But also, I like to carry my phone in one of the front pockets of my pants, and that's a challenging scenario for a lot of phone+case combos. Many cases have a grabby/grippy texture that makes getting them into the front pocket of your jeans almost impossible, especially if the phone is on the largish side. That's actually been the killer for me with many phone cases: They're protective enough, but make the phone unpocketable. And so, after trying for a while, I've often taken the cases off.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Buying I anything is being suckered in to buying a status item. Do you need a $500 Gucci wallet that dont do anything different than a $5.00 Walmart one? My $99.00 LG Fiesta does all I ask of it and much more with one year, minuites and some data included.

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
Or buy from a brand that charges less, there are literally like dozens of Android Smartphone choices every year; if they didn't sell so many Flagships they would have to put more focus elsewhere; but when a phone can cost upwards of $1000 on a $300 build budget you don't need to sell quite as many as hou would have at half the cost.

Apparently the reason why Apple started charging higher prices was because they started to hit Market Saturation; less people buying new phones every year means to do as good as they used to when selling less phones means they need to charge more money per phone.

I always look for excellent condition used phones and the website I have used for my last 2 phones seems to be pretty good;

unlike eBay they have standards that you cant sell phones that dont work or have excessive damage (like a Shattered Screen or Backplate)

and it uses PayPal just like eBay with some kind of customer support to help with any disputes that might happen (although my past 2 transactions were flawless, got the phone I wanted in the condition I wanted at a way under brand new price)
plus investors always demanding higher and higher profits, the market saturation is what gaming is facing too so they do the exploitative dlc crap and loot boxes because investors always demand for improvement, thus a general problem with capitalism. it is all fine and good system till market saturation.

and can other phones use my apple cloud? I still want to use my music etc that i paid for

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
plus investors always demanding higher and higher profits, the market saturation is what gaming is facing too so they do the exploitative dlc crap and loot boxes because investors always demand for improvement, thus a general problem with capitalism. it is all fine and good system till market saturation.

and can other phones use my apple cloud? I still want to use my music etc that i paid for
Nope, Apple is on their own

They make it that way so you aren't just investing into a Computer, Smartphone, Tablet, MP3 Player and so own

They made it so you buy into an "ecosystem" where they all run with the same programs, which makes it easier to move things from one device to another.

But more than that they want their customers to be stuck with them so they dont switch to somebody else for their device needs, if a customer has spent $500 on songs and wants to bring it onto anything else; they cant.

It's either stay with apple devices, or switch to somebody else at the cost of losing all of your media (songs, videos, etc).

With any Android it wouldn't matter if it was a Samsung, LG, Sony or any of the other brands, they all use the same OS and you can bring anything from one device to another of different brands; and easily too at that because you can use an SD card and just pop it out of one device and into another.

If that wasnt an option you can probably transfer data any number of other ways.

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
Nope, Apple is on their own

They make it that way so you aren't just investing into a Computer, Smartphone, Tablet, MP3 Player and so own

They made it so you buy into an "ecosystem" where they all run with the same programs, which makes it easier to move things from one device to another.

But more than that they want their customers to be stuck with them so they dont switch to somebody else for their device needs, if a customer has spent $500 on songs and wants to bring it onto anything else; they cant.

It's either stay with apple devices, or switch to somebody else at the cost of losing all of your media (songs, videos, etc).

With any Android it wouldn't matter if it was a Samsung, LG, Sony or any of the other brands, they all use the same OS and you can bring anything from one device to another of different brands; and easily too at that because you can use an SD card and just pop it out of one device and into another.

If that wasnt an option you can probably transfer data any number of other ways.
that's why i said ill just buy refurbished and second hand, not ideal but helps get the message across

MandyBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent, Other
That is because Apple has a "I drank the kool-aide, and will drink it again with every "new" product roll out" cult like following.
I haveta have my I-this and I-that and Im super cool right? Why am I-broke every 8 months? LOL

Sorry, I am just very anti 500% markup on shitty products and keep 20+ billion in profits offshore so we don't pay taxes on it Apple anything.

Last edited:

CoolDL25

I love living and being in the city.
Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer, Other
Yeah I agree Apple sucks

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
That is because Apple has a "I drank the kool-aide, and will drink it again with every "new" product roll out" cult like following.
I haveta have my I-this and I-that and Im super cool right? Why am I-broke every 8 months? LOL

Sorry, I am just very anti 500% markup on shitty products and keep 20+ billion in profits offshore so we don't pay taxes on it Apple anything.
And they cut down on the specs of their iPhone XR to make it the "budget" phone; while still asking for "Flagship" Phone money; I mean $749 with a screen that belongs on probably a $200-$300 phone at the highest? (and I would imagine a lot of $300 phones probably have a better screen than the iPhone XR)

I mean yeah I guess Samsung isn't a lot better with their prices, but you do still seem to get a better phone - one that has the 3.5mm Headphone Jack, space for an SD Card; higher built in memory at the same prices or lower than apple; not to mention usually runs faster

I saw a speed test on YouTube, the S10 was basically beating the Apple XS in a ratio of 10 to 1; not to mention all the much cheaper Androids out there for smaller budgets.

MandyBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent, Other
I mean $749 with a screen that belongs on probably a $200-$300 phone at the highest? (and I would imagine a lot of $300 phones probably have a better screen than the iPhone XR)
Oh you want to make an Apple owner cry? Show them a much cheaper Android phone with a bigger screen. LOL
Someone I worked with was all about their precious Apple phone.
Till I was like, big deal, my LG has a bigger screen.
He didn't believe me, we put the phones next to each other, still thought his screen was bigger.
I pulled up the spec page for his phone and mine.
Guess which one had the bigger screen? LOL
He STILL did not want to concede his brand new $800-900 I-phlop screen was smaller then my year old LG.

Not to mention like you said, mine had a 3.5mm jack, SD card slot, a stylus, oh and frackin removable battery LOL.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
that's why i said ill just buy refurbished and second hand, not ideal but helps get the message across
I suspect they've gotten the message already, but haven't decided on their next move. Obviously, ratcheting up phone prices is unsustainable. So, I predict that, in the very near future, we'll see Apple either launch its own phone/internet service provider, or else buy AT&T or some other existing provider.

Doubtless the regulators would go berserk over that, but it's where everything is headed: Services. Instead of just the occasional blood-draw, you've got an IV, continuously draining you. Even Disney is going there now; they're pulling their content from Netflix and elsewhere, and are about to launch their own streaming service. If you could have your new iPhone for half the cost because your entire service fee was also going to Apple (the phone cost wasn't simply rolled into your AT&T bill), would you keep with the latest iPhones? Well, it would certainly appear more wallet-friendly than the current state of things, so I bet a lot of people would.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It's not just about screen size though, the XR had been a step down in resolution as well, a nearly $800 phone should not have a 720P screen, what I most hate is with not being able to use an SD Card with Apple, the only way to get more storage is to spend $100s extra on one that has higher storage capacity

Slomo

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
It doesn't help they keep making phones bigger and bigger too. I want a smartphone, not a phablet (phone-tablet). Cut their current aircraft carrier "flagship" phone in half and you can probably cut their price in half too.

neophyte

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I think with apple it's worth it, you're not just buying the hardware (phone); you're buying all the support and apps.

1. Walk into any Apple store and receive free support/consultation
  2. Find My Phone
  3. Cloud Storage (iCloud) which is amazing
  4. FaceTime
Etc....

I've used apple since 2008, I got the XR a few months ago and hated it; I now have...... a BlackBerry KEY2.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think with apple it's worth it, you're not just buying the hardware (phone); you're buying all the support and apps.

1. Walk into any Apple store and receive free support/consultation
  2. Find My Phone
  3. Cloud Storage (iCloud) which is amazing
  4. FaceTime
Etc....

I've used apple since 2008, I got the XR a few months ago and hated it; I now have...... a BlackBerry KEY2.
Yeah, but their products include only a limited warranty; service/repair outside of the Warranty is so expensive you may as well either buy a gently used Apple Product and take care of it so it doesn't break.

Or buy new so you have a warranty for a short period of time.

And you can do FaceTime on other products A LOT AFAIK, doesn't have to be apple.

And cloud storage is probably going to become s big thing sooner or later; another thing you won't need to have apple products to get.