• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Silverfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Private
Yeah, for a long time now I've had these little creeps crawling around my room, and they're really starting to freak me the heck out. Anything that can be done to get rid of the infestation?

Oh, and just in case someone doesn't know what they are: Silverfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[8:39pm] h3g3l: Step 1 will be to NOT eat or drink anything in the room except water...
[8:42pm] h3g3l: I guess the best immediate 2-pronged approach, KarateDiaper, would be to take only water into your room and to de-clutter your room.
[8:43pm] h3g3l: Apparently (wiki page) they can live for A YEAR without eating.
[8:44pm] h3g3l: These apparently aren't physically harmful (though I'd sure not want to share a room with them) but it seems that it'd be a good idea to discourage them from visiting as much as possible.

I stand by this.

• Remove their ideal environment (clutter)
  • Remove welcome snacks (don't eat/drink in your room)

The actual killing of any that remain would be carried out by whatever form you wish. I'd typically spray those that I saw and put a chemical barrier (spray) across all thresholds, along baseboards, and along windows. I'd also probably go one step more and steam-clean all bedding and mattresses in the room, and get bug-proof pillow/mattress cases.

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I haven't reviewed the wikipedia page, perhaps I should, but: what are their natural predators?

Maybe go to your local pet store and get some large centipedes, or a small family of bats. The predators will run around and eat the lil' bastards, and if the numbers work out the food supply should disappear and the predators will then remove themselves from the environment as well, either through starvation or exploration elsewhere in search of food.

And the circle of nature continues.

Role
Diaper Lover
[8:44pm] h3g3l: These apparently aren't physically harmful (though I'd sure not want to share a room with them) but it seems that it'd be a good idea to discourage them from visiting as much as possible.
Most of the time they aren't, though a friend of mine had his grandmother go to the hospital a couple times cause they crawled into her ear and stuck. Weird, huh?

And I appreciate the idea, but adding more animals to the house just to kill silverfish would bring more bad news, first my parents wouldnt approve and my sister would only freak out :p

Role
Private
And I appreciate the idea, but adding more animals to the house just to kill silverfish would bring more bad news, first my parents wouldnt approve and my sister would only freak out :p
I saw their list of predators, and I've got to say:

I would prefer the silverfish.

Role
Diaper Lover
I'll say a couple things, though...when they get close enough, its pretty entertaining to watch the cats go for 'em. :biggrin:

And now my parents wanna call exterminators, which i don't think would be too much of an issue...these litter bastards wouldn't happen to be attracted to places with wet diapers, would they? Kind of a dumb question, I know. :wallbash:

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Hmmm...not sure why they would, but just in case it'd be good to get rid of them, just in case. Whether or not the bugs are attracted to that sort of thing, it's more likely that your room's going to get searched now that everyone's on a bug hunt.

Role
Private
I'll say a couple things, though...when they get close enough, its pretty entertaining to watch the cats go for 'em. :biggrin:

And now my parents wanna call exterminators, which i don't think would be too much of an issue...these litter bastards wouldn't happen to be attracted to places with wet diapers, would they? Kind of a dumb question, I know. :wallbash:
Cellulose + water + warmth + darkness = PARTY TIME FOR BUGS (and bacteria).

(And, yes, "exterminator" is one of the jobs I've held.)

Role
Diaper Lover
Cellulose + water + warmth + darkness = PARTY TIME FOR BUGS (and bacteria).

(And, yes, "exterminator" is one of the jobs I've held.)
Crap, that means no diapers for me for a good while... *sigh* Oh well. Now these things must GO.

*puts on army helmet and yells FORWARD MARCH!*

Role
Private
Crap, that means no diapers for me for a good while... *sigh* Oh well. Now these things must GO.

*puts on army helmet and yells FORWARD MARCH!*
Well, if you cannot dispose of them immediately (outside), then you can put them in a sealable rubber-plastic container. Anything that's liquid-tight and nearly air-tight would work. Or very large zip-top bags would do.

Point being, if you are stockpiling them in your closet in a paper sack until you can toss them outside ... erm ... don't. ;)

Role
Diaper Lover
Well, if you cannot dispose of them immediately (outside), then you can put them in a sealable rubber-plastic container. Anything that's liquid-tight and nearly air-tight would work. Or very large zip-top bags would do.

Point being, if you are stockpiling them in your closet in a paper sack until you can toss them outside ... erm ... don't. ;)

I *normally* put them in a trash bag and hide them in the closet, but I guess I will have to come up with a new plan... and I already disposed of them, like, a week ago. :thumbsup:

Now, would an exterminator ask questions like "do you have wet diapers around" or something like that?

Role
Other

OK, as I first read this, I wondered why you would be catching and storing silverfish.

I *normally* put them in a trash bag and hide them in the closet, but I guess I will have to come up with a new plan... and I already disposed of them, like, a week ago. :thumbsup:

Now, would an exterminator ask questions like "do you have wet diapers around" or something like that?
No they won't, they may ask a generic question about leaving stuff lying around.

After reading the diet of the silverfish, apparently they eat anything not moving.

Other substances that may be eaten include cotton, linen, silk and synthetic fibers, and dead insects or even its own exuvia (moulted exoskeleton).

Synthetic fibers? Apparently to starve them to death you must seal them in a glass container and wait until the last one starves to death.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Yeah, for a long time now I've had these little creeps crawling around my room, and they're really starting to freak me the heck out. Anything that can be done to get rid of the infestation?

Oh, and just in case someone doesn't know what they are: Silverfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most little crawlers in the house can be controlled easily and safely.

Just go to a garden center and get some Rotenone.

Rotenone is the ground up roots of a plant, and is toxic to insects but is not harmful to people.
Try to avoid inhaling the dust though.
Use caution however as Rotenone is toxic to both pigs and fish.

Before you go to bed in the evening, sprinkle the Rotenone dust over all the floor and any fabric covered furniture in the room.

It will help to do the carpets in the entire house.

In the morning simply vacuum up the Rotenone dust.

It may take more than one application to get the infestation under control.

:smile:

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Be careful you don't poison yourself. Allow for some ventilation. One normally sees silverfish in the bathroom, probably because they need the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.