Silly OpenGL Shader Program I Wrote

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It's based off the idea of rendering using raymarching on distance functions, except I bastardized it to render metaballs. Take a look if you like, the magic is in dffs.txt. I should probably rewrite it to use the newton-rapheson method for root finding, but oh well.

Disclaimer: No warranty implied. If it destroys your computer, tough luck :p

Attachments

kevintje

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
can`t open it...

it sais the application configuration is not correct, and that reinstalling the program MIGHT solve the problem...

are you sure it`s winXP compatible?

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
O___O It BSOD'd one of my laptops. Not gonna try it on another one! x_x

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
can`t open it...

it sais the application configuration is not correct, and that reinstalling the program MIGHT solve the problem...

are you sure it`s winXP compatible?
Of course it is, I didn't do anything special to it. I really don't know why it doesn't work.

I code it's based on comes from this program http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=49796 So if that works, then I'm at a loss as to why this one doesn't.

Oh, it also requires PS3.0, so if you have a GPU older than Geforce 6000 or Radeon x1000 series, it won't work.

kevintje

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I tried it again on my own computer at home, same problem, can't open it cuz the configuration the program is not correct, reinstalling the application might solve the problem.

I guess you need additional software/libraries to open it :s

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
post some screenshots? We Linux users can't try it :p

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
ok, well, the PrtScn button simply refuses to work while OpenGL is running. I think it's a Vista thing. Either way, I used the corona image library to manually take a screenshot, and here it is.

Some explaination. The background is simply abs(viewDirectionNormal), but on the object green indicate a greater number of iterations used in evaluating the surface, while red is standard phong lighting. You might also notice some slight banding on the object, but that's simply because my algorithm is a major hack lacking in accuracy and precision.

EDIT: Change the photo host to imageshack because the forum bastardizes the image too much.
ImageShack - Hosting :: imagenv7.png

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Ok, I did some improvements. I drastically improved the performance and accuracy by using newton's method. There is no longer a penalty for finding edges, computation expense is pretty uniform. The previous version was doing in 64 steps what I now do in 16. I've also added shadowing, ambient occlusion, more complex geometry and screenshot capability. Attached are some screenshots, again green indicating the number of iterations required to find the surface.

ImageShack - Hosting :: image2hk4.png
ImageShack - Hosting :: image9nk2.png

kevintje

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
is that flubber? o_O

anyway, I still can't open the compiled version (it opens, but gives a white screen and stops responding), also, you included main.c, but to compile it myself, it needs to have GL/glew.h too, wich is not included :(

seems nice tho'

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
To address your concerns, I've uploaded a new rar of the program here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wgmh3j2mnjc

I've included an MSVS 2008 project, glew and corona, so it should compile right out of the box. However, an already compiled exe with the bugfix is in the Chocolate folder ready to go. In addition, pressing Home will take a screenshot.

Last edited:
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Ok, I'm going to express what happened as well as I can because it gave no error message:

It went "KABLOOOSOSSHIDHAISDIOANDAEKNDEKAWDNWKNMEFAWKLNWEVAKLFNKAFLE" on my screen.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Ok, I'm going to express what happened as well as I can because it gave no error message:

It went "KABLOOOSOSSHIDHAISDIOANDAEKNDEKAWDNWKNMEFAWKLNWEVAKLFNKAFLE" on my screen.
If it just crashed with no error, most likely it's because you don't have the latest drivers. If it displayed a screen with scrambled graphics, then I haven't a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.