silicone putty and potential AB uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

tessy

Contributor
Role
  1. Private
So silicone putty is putty that dries in the air into silicone. You can buy it at Michaels and AC Moore. I was wondering if it would be safe to try to make a pacifier out of it. We know that so many people (myself included) wish the nuk 5 came in silicone. Any thoughts on safety feasibility or anything else?

Role
  1. Adult Baby
I guess this could be a good idea. You'd have to look at the packaging though. If it changes or leaks chemicals when it gets wet then its probably not good to put in you're mouth. If you were going to try that, I'd say make a small thing first, and make sure it doesn't taste horrible. Then make sure you cant bite it in half, just in case. If all those things check out, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Just be careful, it could go really badly.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
After a quick Google search I found that dentists use silicone putty in several different operations, so I'd assume it's at least safe to have in your mouth. But I still probably wouldn't want to anyway, just because.

Fragarach

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
If you guys don't mind waiting till Monday, i have a friend who teaches Chemistry at the College. I would be willing to ask him is one could make a silicone object for insertion in the mouth using the products you are referring to see if it would be safe. He is a pretty cool guy and will probably assume I am planning to make a home made chew toy or sexual pleasure device.

Do you want me to check into it for you?

tessy

Contributor
Role
  1. Private
If you guys don't mind waiting till Monday, i have a friend who teaches Chemistry at the College. I would be willing to ask him is one could make a silicone object for insertion in the mouth using the products you are referring to see if it would be safe. He is a pretty cool guy and will probably assume I am planning to make a home made chew toy or sexual pleasure device.

Do you want me to check into it for you?
Sorry for being late but yes.

Fragarach

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have asked my friend and he is supposed to give me an answer tomorrow.

---------- Post added 26-01-2012 at 05:17 ---------- Previous post was 24-01-2012 at 20:34 ----------

For those still interested. From my friend the chemist: "Silicone putty is sold in stores for craft work is not the same as what you find in a object designed for internal (body) use. He said that if one wishes to make items of this nature (again, he is thinking home made sex toys) then one needs to buy a silicone compound that is medical grade and the rating should be listed on the package." (Paraphrase)
So check the package and see if it has the medical grade label or if it has a warning "not for internal use" and let that be your guide. he also listed some chemical names that can be harmful in some silicone compounds, but i got the impression that was mostly industrial things like silicone chalking for windows and what not.

A

acorn

Another reason for caution is if there are instructions on using the product, like - only use in a well ventilated area (toxic fumes from oxidation).If there is an option to contact the manufacturer for further information about their product, it may be advisable to exercise extreme caution. That invite may be a disclaimer; in layman’s terms it would be a request for a (non legal mandated) form of end users MSDS. Material Safety Data Sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.