Should some of the existing ABDL diapers get a cloth-backed option?

Should more ABDL diapers have a cloth-backed option?

• Total voters

bigtoddler96

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I know that ABU's AlphaGatorz/Little Kings and Tykable's Animooz can do cloth-backed diapers right, but what about having some of the existing ABDL diapers (such as Tykable's Unicorns) at least get a cloth-backed option or maybe even switching them to cloth-backed without the need for a new print? I think that ABDL diaper companies should give cloth-backed diaper lovers some love by offering them more options. I also would like to see Rearz's/Bambino's/Landofgenie's/LFB's/TDDC's take on their cloth-backed ABDL diapers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BabyLink9, newAB43 and Cottontail
It would be nice for companies to offer both options so we as buyers can choose (or even get both and switch it up every so often!). And it would reduce the back and forth complaining of "I wish this wasn't cloth-backed, I don't like cloth-backed" and "I wish these were cloth-backed, I love cloth-backed" whenever a design is released either way or even existing prints.

But it might not be feasible business-wise to carry both versions, they might not sell enough of each to justify making and keeping them around. ABU did do this for a few of their prints for a time, their preschools and cushies, but we see they've been sent to the vault, so maybe the demand for each wasn't enough to keep them around.

Reactions: newAB43 and Cottontail
No. To much hasstle and option, which will lead to cancelling plastic option.

Last edited:
Reactions: theancientmariner
I think in the coming years more abdl diapers will go fabric cover because the generation that grew up on plastic backed diapers will be replaced by those who grew up in fabric covered diapers. The abdl diaper market will follow the demand to keep sales up.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyLink9, newAB43, abdilly and 3 others
Yes please.

The overall design of most adult diapers, ABDL ones included, is very last-century. Of course, it's not necessarily the case that old=bad, and we've got a lot of very functional diapers to choose from these days. That said, as somebody whose disposable diaper preferences tend to follow what babies are getting, I do wish our ABDL offerings would catch up a little faster. Yes, keep some quality plastic-backed options around for those who hate the clothlike stuff, but also... damn. Babies have had the clothlike diapers and stretchy sides for over 20 years now.

Reactions: BabyLink9, newAB43, abdilly and 2 others
There's a large portion of us who prefer plastic backed. I'm one of them. I just don't want to use anything with a cloth like cover.

Reactions: newAB43 and DiaperTV
I have nothing against cloth backed diapers its just not for me ! Just as soon wear and prefer plastic backed!

• Love
Reactions: newAB43, DiaperTV and DLmikey
Remember that carrying two versions of one product doubles the amount that needs to be produced, bought, stored and moved around. One design in 3 sizes = 3 SKUs, add in a variation and that makes 6...

Reactions: BabyLink9, DiaperTV and TigerDL
Plastic backed all the way for me! That being said I did get a bag of Little Kings and Alphagatorz to see what all the hype was about, but gimme my plastic back diapers!

Reactions: DiaperTV
No, more diapers need to go Back to plastic back :)

Reactions: DiaperTV and DLmikey
SparkyDog said:
I think in the coming years more abdl diapers will go fabric cover because the generation that grew up on plastic backed diapers will be replaced by those who grew up in fabric covered diapers.
I don't think that this will influence the market so massively that it will turn around or something other significantly. I'm an example of those grewing up in cotton Pampers, but I still prefer plastic. And from my point of view, this is not an exception. I talked to different ABDL from 18 to their late 20s, so none of them had plastic diapers before they started with ABDL diapers: Most of them prefer plastic.

The minority preferring cotton are mostly AB. For them it's true what you said: They feel more remembered to their childhood, since they hadn't plastic Pampers any more. But since AB seems to be a minority in the ABDL scene itself, this is and will be a niche. Maybe it grows a bit, when enough people buy cotton and maybe are even willing to pay more like on the Little Kings. Then it may be lucrative for some producers.

For the mass, this won't be option for existing ones. They need to produce a diaper in cotton with different sizes. Some diapers are already limited in their size, for example no XL, so they have less variants.

Reactions: TigerDL and mtl1107
Honestly I just wish ABDL diapers would be sold in more places, that they were folded in half, and that more were like the pampers, luvs, and Huggies

Reactions: TigerDL
Bring on the cloth backed options as that is the only type of diaper I wear these days.

I don't see this happening for the same reasons we don't see 2 and 4 tapes being a option honestly. Or the fact that we don't have all abdl diapers having small and xl+ options.

Money

They more than likely will just either flip between plastic and cloth for releases or just dive completely into cloth only options going forward. I don't think it would make much financial sense to do both options as a choice. Especially when there doesn't seem to be much discourse against plastic not being a option, to hurt sales on the newer cloth only ones.

I still think the one of the main reason most people disliked cloth diapers was due to the fact that previous version of cloth on adults were so bad. They used to be like sandpaper, leak through the diaper itself, have bad stretching among other issues. The new ones have solved some of those issues and will only improve as time goes on.

BunnyHopps

Nowididit said:
BunnyHopps
They're currently not even produced in the existing plastic design :(
At least not abandoned completely, however it's unclear, when they'll come back.
kratox said:
I don't see this happening for the same reasons we don't see 2 and 4 tapes being a option honestly.
There is the ABU Cushie with 2 tapes (one per side). I think in this case there is another reason: It seems harder to realize this especially for high capacity diapers. Also some people told me they prefer two tapes for better adjusting the diaper to the body. But at the end, your argument is not wrong: If anybody decides against producing such a diaper, they do so because the niche seems too little for them.
kratox said:
I don't think it would make much financial sense to do both options as a choice.
I agree. It's often forgotten that diapers are usually available in at least three sizes, some are even more. So if someone decides to produce the same diaper with plastic and cotton, it leads to 2x3 = 6 different types of diapers in total. They need to be produced and stored. The ABU Cushie I mention is one if the few diapers I know being produced with both types. Seems it's worth for ABU to keep them, but not worth enough to expand this strategy to other models as well.
kratox said:
Especially when there doesn't seem to be much discourse against plastic not being a option, to hurt sales on the newer cloth only ones.
You mean that companys avoid having diaper X as plastic & cotton variant, so that most people would buy plastic and they can't get rid of cotton instead of the strategy on products like Little Kings, where even some who prefer plastic try them because of the cute prints? That's a clever idea I never tought about.
kratox said:
I still think the one of the main reason most people disliked cloth diapers was due to the fact that previous version of cloth on adults were so bad.
Interesting point, since the ABDL cotton diapers have been grown a bit in the last time. I remember where I started with adult diapers some years ago, there were only medial ones with cotton and they were horrible. Now we have quite a few. But often with a high price, which keeps me away from them. I don't see why I should pay 4€ for a Little King. Or the Comfy Cubz, crashing the 4 euro border massively with currently 4,40€ per piece. While there are high quality and absorbent diapers like Rearz Critter Caboose for much less, currently for 2,74 € each.

From my experience with medical cotton diapers, I was surprised to hear about a soft & comfy feeling from todays cotton diapers. Even from those who prefer plastic. This made me open to give them another try, if they're available for a reasonable price. One of my viewers asked me to review the Tykables AnimOOz. They're still costy, 3,49€ would be the most expensive diaper in my reviews yet. But we're getting closer to a more realistic price and I think that we may got an evolution now compared to the medical ones, like plastic ABDL diapers did before. Also some cotton ABDL diapers seems to have a bit plastic, like on the sides. It looks definitely way more interesting today, than it was just a few time ago. I think I will give the AnimOOz a try on the next order.

Last edited:
I voted no.

The only cloth backed diaper I have tried so far is the XL Depend Night Defense for Men. I find that when I flood it I need to be standing in my bathtub to prevent the floor from getting wet because they not only leak in the leg area (roughly every other time) even if I am aimed down and almost exactly on center but in addition any liquid sometimes flows right through the cloth-like outer covering after it has become wet past a certain point.

If I buy an ABDL product I would rather not need to add on the extra cost of plastic pants to protect my clothes.

AJFan2020 said:
I voted no.

The only cloth backed diaper I have tried so far is the XL Depend Night Defense for Men. I find that when I flood it I need to be standing in my bathtub to prevent the floor from getting wet because they not only leak in the leg area (roughly every other time) even if I am aimed down and almost exactly on center but in addition any liquid sometimes flows right through the cloth-like outer covering after it has become wet past a certain point.

If I buy an ABDL product I would rather not need to add on the extra cost of plastic pants to protect my clothes.

While I can't speak for other brands, our brand is better than Depend. Try our Animooz, that doesn't happen. Please don't try a cheap store brand product and expect it to hold up like ours do.

Reactions: TigerDL and bigtoddler96
AJFan2020 said:
I voted no.

Yea you need to try actual decent products.

I have not had the issues I had with medical cloth back diapers with abdl cloth backs.

ABDL cloth back diapers are more similar to how baby diapers do it, which is just a thin plastic sheet with a cloth sheet over it.

Medical ones like abena S4 cloth backs were horrible. It stretched like crazy causing a eventually horrible fit. The diaper would also feel super damp and would cause clothing worn on the outside to be a similar way. The smell permeated way more than it should IMO, but that could be do to bad ph control. And finally it just had bad clumping issues.

I ahven't ripped one apart but either they use way to thin of plastic on the inside that causes pinholes, how them trying to make it as much much cloth as possible backfired.

Last edited:
AJFan2020 said:
I voted no.

I have yet to experience this with a quality ABDL cloth backed diaper.

Reactions: bigtoddler96
Back