Should Mature topics have an "Adult" sub Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've noticed that the Mature Topics forum has a wide range of topics in it from: Smoking Ban Laws, American Presidential Candidates 2008, etc. to Male Castration, female genital cutting, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't threads like Male Castration and female genital cutting go into an "Adult" sub forum on Mature Topics? This would be for people that are interested in the topics like Smoking Ban Laws, American Presidential Candidates 2008, etc. but are not interested in topics like Male Castration, female genital cutting, etc. That way they can avoid those topics better.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well all of the topics are indeed that, Mature topics.

All titles are pretty specific, so if you don't want to read about castration, then skip it.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I don't think that a sub forum is necessary. As Mandi said, the titles make it clear what the threads are about, I don't think that certain threads need to be cordoned off.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I see your point Jabo, trying to split up the sexual, gorry stuff from the others. But I feel its not really needed as it would add to confusin and as everyone has pointed out so far, its the mature section a broad board for numerous things to be taken maturely, such as the "adult" sub forum.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Well all of the topics are indeed that, Mature topics.

All titles are pretty specific, so if you don't want to read about castration, then skip it.
QFE

Nothing more I can say then that.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
To be honest, I'm not sure I see having a mature topics board as particularly necessary; it rather seems to dilute the quality of discussion from the off-topic section and we get all the interesting stuff in Mature. I understand there is a lot of sensitivity about the younger members but I think encouraging people to add [mature] to threads dealing with sex, drug and rock 'n' roll (of which there are relatively few, really) in off-topic, or perhaps having a mature sub-forum would be sufficient. Generally speaking, I find that the fewer boards the better and only those boards that are necessary is a solid aim for a forum.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
To be honest, I'm not sure I see having a mature topics board as particularly necessary; it rather seems to dilute the quality of discussion from the off-topic section and we get all the interesting stuff in Mature. I understand there is a lot of sensitivity about the younger members but I think encouraging people to add [mature] to threads dealing with sex, drug and rock 'n' roll (of which there are relatively few, really) in off-topic, or perhaps having a mature sub-forum would be sufficient. Generally speaking, I find that the fewer boards the better and only those boards that are necessary is a solid aim for a forum.
I think part of the reason is to enforce the fact that it is 'Mature' discussion.

I know there is a member I talk to here who is quite young, and he/she would rather stay away from that. Having the Mature Forum enables him/her to read all of the off-topic without feeling uncomfortable.

Same goes for the members who want to read the Mature topics. By realizing it IS Mature, we aren't going to get stupid posts like "HEHE SECKS! ZOMG YOU JUST SAID BOOB!" like 5th graders in health class.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
^^ i have to agree with mandi this place is all age friendly it can be very uncomfortable to read those post :/

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think part of the reason is to enforce the fact that it is 'Mature' discussion.

I know there is a member I talk to here who is quite young, and he/she would rather stay away from that. Having the Mature Forum enables him/her to read all of the off-topic without feeling uncomfortable.
That's kind of what I meant by the sensitivity engendered by having a lot of young members, and it's a fair point.

I just think it's unfortunate that most of the interesting discussions about things that are fine for all ages - politics, religion, smoking laws, gay rights, blood donation - get syphoned into the mature board. It leaves the off-topic board with mostly topics that people wouldn't consider mature in the more innocent sense or, dare I say it, intelligent enough to post in the mature board. The topics that are more explicitly sexual or adult in nature could be ably dealt with in a sub-forum rather than cluttering up the site with a board of their own; there don't seem to be that many of them to me. It would also address the concerns in the OP by keeping the genuinely adult topics separate from discussion that is simply interesting and involved, whilst simultaneously stopping them being drained from off-topic and keeping that interesting.

I'm not really sure that the dichotomy in subject matter in the Teen Baby and Adult Baby sections is distinct enough to justify two separate boards either, come to mention it, but, again, I get that it is all wrapped up with legitimate concerns about the kids here.

Status
Not open for further replies.