Should ignore really be on the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I to be perfectly honest do not like ignore functions at all. IMO if someone is not doing anything bad enough to deserve banning/other sanctions then their posts should be read. When people start ignoring eachother the threads become highly disjointed and confusing as it essentially turns into people replying in the same thread, but in actuality they're reading 2 totally different threads (this case is if 2 people decide to ignore eachother it gets more confusing if more people in a thread have ignored eachother).

In the irc chat i have had like 3 or 4 people on each of whom has ignored certain people and the conversation was confused so much that i quite literally could not follow what was going on and was very tempted to tell people to either unignore people or to stop talking in the conversation as their totally out of context replies were hurting the chat so much... user 1 would reply to user 2, but user 3 had user 2 ignored and was asking why user 1 was saying things that no sence at all because they weren't seeing user 2's comments.

As long as ignores stay infrequent this isn't a problem, but if a bunch of people get pissed at eachother or whatever it seriously ruins the conversation.

IMO the only time ignores should be used is if the person is going to get banned as soon as a mod comes on anyways.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
The ignore function on the forum isn't too bad. you still see that a person has posted but not (automatically) what (s)he's posted. And preventing from having ignores in IRC is impossible as it's in the client (most of the time).

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I don't ignore anybody's posts in chat or on the forum. You only hurt yourself by doing that, not whoever so offends you. Besides, I agree with Ben; it damages continuity.

Last edited:

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
what does the ignore function do anyway? does it minimize the ignored person's post or does it remove it completely from the thread that they posted to?

emomessiah

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
what does the ignore function do anyway? does it minimize the ignored person's post or does it remove it completely from the thread that they posted to?
It removes it completely, i think?

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
While I've yet to ignore anyone in the forum (I just don't read posts by people I choose to ignore)...I have and will continue to ignore people in the chat. It saves ME a lot of grief.

Why should I read insane rantings and put up with constant b*llsh*t when it's much easier to just click a button and "IGNORE"? I shouldn't! That's one of the reasons ignore was implemented into the IRC program(s), I'm sure!

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I hope that this issue will be addressed somewhat by the re-introduction of FlashChat.

Frankly, I'm not sure what else can be done apart from appealing for people to be nice to each other. We can't stop people ignoring each other, and frankly them doing so is preferable to them having fights in channel.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Frankly, I'm not sure what else can be done apart from appealing for people to be nice to each other. We can't stop people ignoring each other, and frankly them doing so is preferable to them having fights in channel.
Agreed. A little civility and affability go a long ways. Unfortunately, employing the Ignore function has been shown frequently to only shift the form of the fight rather than end it.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
It removes it completely, i think?
No it minimizes it. With a link saying something like "Click here to show post" on the left and the name of the person (also a link to his/her profile) on the right. (I had one ignore on that tbman7 as he was a total creep.)

Role
Diaper Lover
People need to be able to ignore me.

People that piss me off, just get me angry at them, I don't tell them this, and I don't ignore them, its the weak mans way out.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Well I think ignore is a good thing especially now the blog has a thing that says that ignored people won't be allowed you view your blog. Well for me it's a bit more secure but anyhow now that option is there I think it should be there.

F

FullMetal

I think if it is possible to ignore someones posts, we should change that. I understand why it works in the Flash or IRC, because it stops fights, but in the forum, for example, if someone ignores someones posts they could be risking missing key points of a thread and it could change the threads overall relevancy (I don't know if what I am saying is clear). Sure, for blogs, they are your own personal things but the Forum is for everyone and every post should be seen by everyone whom has permission to see so noted threads or posts.

FullMetal

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I disagree. I don't think that I (or anyone) should be subjected to the drivel of some participants if we choose not to be by using the 'ignore' feature. You can say "then just don't read it" that's easier said than done in a forum where one is halfway into a post before they read who wrote it. It's easier to just ignore it completely.

That said, I still haven't 'ignored' anyone in the forum, although I tend to veer away from posts by certain members.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
If you ignore someone on the forum, you can't see threads they have started, I think.

I know it isn't an ideal solution, but I find it is better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.