Shared experience

Forced

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I’ve noticed there has been a lot of new members recently saying that they’ve just got into the ABDL world.
When I first got back into wearing nappies and plastic pants there were no great sites, like this one, to learn about the ABDL lifestyle and I made a few mistakes along the way.
It would be nice if we (long term wearers) could add a few tips, learned though the years, and help our newbies get the best experience from this alternative lifestyle.

When I got my first disposable nappies, Tena pvc backed, I used to take off the blue covering on the tapes before taping the nappy up.
I now realize that I should have used the blue covering on the nappy and could retape it should it have needed adjusting.

When my wife bought my first cloth nappy she was so eager to put it on me that she took it straight from the packet and pinned it on.
She then asked me to wet it.
The last time I wore a cloth nappy was as a baby and I assumed that it would react like a disposable.
Unfortunately, the pee just went straight through the cloth and, without the help of plastic pants, straight onto the bedroom carpet.
These days I know know that cloth nappies need to be washed at least three times to increase the absorbency and ALWAYS use plastic pants.

Have you any tips or early mishaps to help newbies avoid the same mistakes?

Reactions: Trina, Lyric, Belarin and 6 others

BenNevis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
A really good idea for a thread!

When I worked up the courage to buy my first actual nappies as opposed to pull ups, I was slightly taken aback by how big they were and wasn't really sure how to put them on. Not really sure what to do, I got the nappy out of the pack and taped up in my haste and inexperience put it on back to front. The tapes always tape up from the back and land on the front, not the other way! Looking back, it should have been obvious but, being completely new to wearing nappies, I didn't actually know how to tape them up properly.

Also, make sure the leak gaurds have properly deployed. Not doing so led to some very annoying leaks early on and I couldn't work out why. Now, I always make sure the leak guards are standing and not stuck down to the nappy when getting a fresh one and that they've properly deployed once I'm taped up.

Reactions: OldTerry, warmfeeling and Forced

TeddyJoy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Fold the diaper like a hot dog or taco before putting it on. I learned this from more experienced ABDLs when I started to wear more often. This makes the bottom of your diaper form a happy "U" shape instead of a "M" which is more likely to leak.

Reactions: RuffRuff, Forced, BenNevis and 1 other person

warmfeeling

I love wearing nappies
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Forced said:
I’ve noticed there has been a lot of new members recently saying that they’ve just got into the ABDL world.
When I first got back into wearing nappies and plastic pants there were no great sites, like this one, to learn about the ABDL lifestyle and I made a few mistakes along the way.
It would be nice if we (long term wearers) could add a few tips, learned though the years, and help our newbies get the best experience from this alternative lifestyle.

When I got my first disposable nappies, Tena pvc backed, I used to take off the blue covering on the tapes before taping the nappy up.
I now realize that I should have used the blue covering on the nappy and could retape it should it have needed adjusting.

When my wife bought my first cloth nappy she was so eager to put it on me that she took it straight from the packet and pinned it on.
She then asked me to wet it.
The last time I wore a cloth nappy was as a baby and I assumed that it would react like a disposable.
Unfortunately, the pee just went straight through the cloth and, without the help of plastic pants, straight onto the bedroom carpet.
These days I know know that cloth nappies need to be washed at least three times to increase the absorbency and ALWAYS use plastic pants.

Have you any tips or early mishaps to help newbies avoid the same mistakes?
They say you learn something every day, I didn’t know what the blue strip was for 👍🏻

Reactions: Donfidaze

Forced

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
warmfeeling said:
They say you learn something every day, I didn’t know what the blue strip was for 👍🏻

😆 I might be wrong!

Forced

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Another one of my regrets was not telling my partner earlier than I did.
Although I stopped wearing for a long time I should have confided in my (then) wife earlier than I did (when I had to after getting caught)
I missed out on some time when I could have been dressed by her instead of hiding away.

Reactions: warmfeeling, NappyCouple1980 and Lyric

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Forced said:
This kinda thread has been attempted many times but they eventually just drop off the page and get left behind, what we need is for someone (or some people) to go through a lot of the older threads and gather up the best tips and then write them out as an article (since the articles forum is basically empty). I'd happily try to do this but would take so much time going through it all and then typing it out in an organised article, I don't have a lot of free time to do it.

Forced said:
LOL I am so glad I'm not the only one. 😂 I must have been like 14 or 15 when I got my first proper adult sized nappies (think it might have been molicare I know I used them a lot back then) and did this same thing without realising.

Forced said:
Well I knew that cloth needed plastic pants (unless AIO's), but definitely a good tip about washing first. There is a lot of debate on cloth diapering and parental forums over how many times, the biggest serious figure I've seen thrown around is 12 which is ridiculous, 3 should be plenty.

The other point with that is that you dont really need to fully wash them to "prime" them, putting them in a basic rince and spin cycle without any detergent is fine, you also don't really need to dry them in between just 3 back to back cycles and then a full dry should do it.

As for more tips, on the subject of washing cloth.
  1. Never, EVER! use fabric softener on cloth nappies. it causes them to become more water repellent so they don't work.
  2. Always use a nappy safe detergent, there are plenty available. I like Rockin Green which is also good for harder water.
  3. Always check the instructions on the pack for how much detergent to use with how big a load, just piling it into the drawer could leave you with a build up in the nappy which will make the smell terrible and reduce effectiveness.
  4. Eventually you will begin to notice lingering smells after a wash, This is not the end as these can be fixed in different ways. The two different kinds of smell can indicate different issues.
    A strong amonia smell (amonia not just wee, the kind that burns your nose) can be a sign of health issues (dehydration, UTI, kidney/liver issues) but is more commonly a problem with washing routine (using too much detergent, overfilling the machine, not enough water used...)
    A barnyard like smell is more to do with how well they are dried and how they are stored (both when used and when clean)
  5. Plastic (PVC/PEVA) should not be used in too hot a wash as it can become brittle also some detergents can speed this up too.
As for other tips for things that seem to come up often.
  1. If wearing around others don't worry so much about being "spotted" if you are wearing loose clothing and are a little careful most people won't notice, won't consider nappies, won't ask about it and most likely won't care.
    Confidence is the key to success, if you are slinking around trying to hide it you look suspicious and people will notice, act normal.
  2. Buying in a store can be scary for those new to this but honestly no shop assistant is going to care about what you are buying or why, they see it every day. If you really are worried (and perhaps a bit younger) pick up some denture glue/solution and anti aging skin cream at the same time, if anyone (staff or customer) does say anything you are just picking up some stuff for your nan on your way to see her.
  3. Skin health is very important, even if you have never had any rashes or problems, look after your skin with moisturising cream, regular "air" time and washing. Rash creams/powders/barrier creams are all great but make sure to use them correctly (i.e. don't slather it on like syrup on a pancake).
  4. Onesies are fantastic for helping keep a nappy hidden and reducing noise. If you are unable to use them because of family/housemates etc. try getting some leotards or bodysuits that don't snap in the crotch. As you can see on This List they look totally normal, there are men's and ladies styles available.
I'll see about adding more later.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenNevis and Forced

lilstevie56

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Tip #1 If your diaper tapes fail to stick , use diaper pins thru the tapes to keep them in place. Plus they look very cute
Tip #2 Fluff your diapers. It will not hurt them to fluff in the dryer for 5 mins. They will be more comfy to wear and tend to absorb better.

Reactions: BenNevis

NappyCouple1980

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
This should be pinned somehow, these are all mistake we’ve made (especially the wetting a cloth nappy without plastic pants on in my case!)

OldTerry

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
For myself
1.i use snappis not pins helps adjust my cloth nappy when out
2.i use 48 inch squares daytime and 60 inch night
3.i always nappy liners
4.i always use rubbers 1 to 2 size above my actual need to tuck the rubbers into the nappy at the gathers
5.always use plastic pants with the fhathers encased in plastic wicking of nappies is wicked!
6 experiment with folds I use the Airplane fold
7.if I'm out long time I add a tykables booster wrapped in a muslin sheet to stop it bursting
Just a few ideas