• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Server thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
Is there a way to set up a home server that can be used as a wireless storage hub That could link all computers?

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yes, but it depends on how savvy you are about networking. You can run the wireless card in AP/master mode (your card has to support this) and use other machines to connect to it wirelessly. If the machine is also wired you can use it as a gateway.

Though really, it'd probably be easier to just get a wireless router.

Either way, you'd probably just want to run a fileserver on it, samba/smb, nfs, etc.

Role
Private
Agreed.

Hey, if you wanted to get all technical about it, you could hang it off the back of a FreeNAS device (e.g. Soekris box, Buffalo box, etc.).

Or you could get something with this already built-in (e.g. WD MyBook, Apple's TimeCapsule, etc.)

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Try the HP MediaVault mv2000 or mv5000 series. I have a 300GB mv2010 series. It is plugged into my switch that goes to my router. You type its local IP address into your browser. For me, I type in 192.168.0.106, or I go to My Computer, and type into the address bar \\192.168.0.106\[folder name]. It is so simple. Turn it on and leave it. I highly suggest getting one if you want simplicity and reliability (I have had it over a year, and still works great). I hope this is what you're asking...

~Grizzy

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
9My home server is just a bunch of spare parts I've thrown together into a random case. I put 3 NICs (ethernet devices) into it, giving me DHCP, DNS (Which is TONS better than using IP address all time -- especially when you have a lot of machines on the network like I do) , Web, and... well, that's it. Since that's really all my server does; I gave it 256MB of RAM, on a 40GB IDE drive. You never need anything fancy. Anything 500MHz+ these days can be made into a decent CLI server.

I have other servers that do other things as well, that handle different tasks (and have different specs)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.