Seriously conservative cousin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Somehow, somewhere along the way, my cousin turned into a conservative. I'm not just talking mild, but an extremist. Like really. He's racist, saying he doesn't mind black people but he hates "niggers". He also hates native americans, the Quebecois, and Europeans. Europeans especialy, as, according to him, they're all "gay and prostitutes over there". (When I asked them about that he said he didn't mean it literally, he just meant the way they dress.)

He sings the praises of George Bush and he hates Obama with a passion because of "his football shaped smile".

I was sick of it all this evening. For years I've had to listen to his disgusting rants on blacks, gays, and european, and I was sick of it. No one in my family has bothered to stand up to him, and I finaly did. I was pretty pissed.

He's also very homophobic, trying to prove to me that gay sex spreads AIDS faster than straight sex. To prove it I asked him to show me a book or website without a conservative slant. You know what he said? "Typical liberal response."

Ladies and gentleman, I am not a liberal, or at least, I try not to be. I may believe that whatever people do behind their bedroom doors is none of my buisness, but I try to be as neutral as possible.

He told me he wants to shoot all homosexuals in the knees. When I asked what was wrong with homosexuality he said "read the bible". I have no idea what the bible has to do with our conversation, as I'm not even a christian. Neither is he.

Then he flip-flopped and said he didn't care if they had sex or not, but he DID care that homosexuals have to flaunt their sexuality in everyone's face (gay pride parade and whatnot). He asked me if I wanted my children to grow up around those people. I said "what does it matter, they aren't going to turn gay".

He believes the exact opposite. He thinks homosexuality is a choice.

"A choice, is it?" I asked him. "You mean every homosexual made a choice at the beginning of their life to be discriminated against by jackasses, and become outcasts from their family? That choice?"

"Yeah."

It was a pretty heated argument. I was shaking by the end of it.

This is kind of distressing because I don't have any experience arguing an extremeist. There aren't many extreme conservatives in Canada. It's a pretty liberal country. And allthough he's born and raised in Canada, he hates everything about it. He hates the healthcare. He hates the gun control. He hates the gay marriage. He hates the welfare system. He hates quebec. He hates the "liberals who have invaded".

He's in love with America and everything about America. He thinks Obama is the worst president ever, even though he has yet to take office. I tried to explain to him that every president and every prime minister has been in it for personal gain only. He still think Bush is the next best thing since sliced bread (Bush isn't nearly as bad as some extremist liberals put him, as he did a hell of a lot better than Clinton ever did, but he still isn't even close to the best president ever).

How do you argue with someone like this? It's so frustrating because he can't seen any reason at all. He's so blinded by his own beliefs... it's weird. He dropped out of highschool at grade 10, had a drinking problem, and he never had a stable family, so I guess those could be a few reasons he latched onto the extremeist american conservative viewpoint.

In short, is there even a point to argue with him? I'm just so sick of listening to his crappy propaganda and racist viewpoints. It needs to end, and I want him to stop bringing it up at family gatherings.

Role
Private
There's no point in arguing with people like that. Thing is, they feel that what they believe in is the only correct option to such an extent that any sort of compromise to their opinion is seen as a personal attack on them.

Problem is, with political matters and religious matters, there is no right and wrong, and that's why people like your cousin get so defensive about things - because they need things to be clearly labelled as "right" or "wrong". The world isn't black and white and there is no universal way to resolve things.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
There's no point in arguing with people like that. Thing is, they feel that what they believe in is the only correct option to such an extent that any sort of compromise to their opinion is seen as a personal attack on them.

Problem is, with political matters and religious matters, there is no right and wrong, and that's why people like your cousin get so defensive about things - because they need things to be clearly labelled as "right" or "wrong". The world isn't black and white and there is no universal way to resolve things.
Yea, that's pretty much him in a nutshell.

*sigh*

I'm so bloody sick of politics and religion. I wish everyone would just shut up about them. Don't we have more important things to worry about? I mainly want my cousin to stop bringing it up so often. I'm sick of listening to him.

I'm done with politics. For life. It makes people hate each other just because they think *their* way is the right way.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Wow.. so being a conservative makes you a racist huh? Thanks.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
Wow. I backed McCain in the 2008 election but even though I am more of a conservative I'll say that Obama had a lot going for him, and I'm not at all surprised that he won.

As for his position on homosexuality though, that's just wrong. If he were a Christian his most biblical response would be "hate the sin, love the sinner." Not that I necessarily endorse the idea of homosexuality in itself being a sin, I'm just saying that any Christian or otherwise Bible-believing person should respond in that way towards something they believe is sin. (I am personally against any sexual unity other than a husband and wife, but that is for personal reasons and it's something that I will never judge people for violating.)

I do, like a lot of people, dislike it when someone who is gay flaunts it or is otherwise flamboyant. It's OK to be gay - but to wave it in someone else's face even when they feel uncomfortable by that is not acceptable. There aren't any "straight pride" (hell, or ABDL pride) parades that I know of, so I don't really see a reason for gay pride parades, but again, that's just me.

What your cousin is trying to do though is barely scoot by without being completely "pwned." He defended his argument using weak reasons (Obama's football-shaped smile? WTF??) and was really trying to ward you off. He knows he's wrong and completely closed-minded, otherwise he wouldn't be so damn defensive about it.

Try to find out where he was instilled with all this stuff. Then attack the source of his viewpoint, which will allow you to eventually attack the viewpoint itself.

Oh, and as a social experiment I just might print out that post and ask my parents how much of it they agree with.

--Danny :ninja:

M

Mako

It's difficult to argue an extremist if you don't know their points better then they do. You can rather ignore him, or you can start studying and testing out your debating skills.
That or we could let him loose on an iceflow :3

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
Eww... what a dumbass. I wouldn't get along with him at all! :p

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer
Seriously I am probably liberal to a fault I do try very hard to see all sides of an issue but sometimes I can't. Like racism, I just can't wrap my mind around why somebody would judge someone like that and my Dad is a racist. I was raised in a very conservative environment but I just don't understand it, times change so people's views should as well. For me racism is wrong, gay marriage isn't wrong(it's not right for me because I am not gay but for me that would be like telling you you can't marry.) It is like we are treating homosexuals as less than human.
By the way I just want you to know you shouldn't argue with idiots because they can't see past their own little life. I am not saying conservatives are idiots because I understand a lot of their ideas just not all, and I am not even saying high school drop outs are idiots because one of my best friends dropped out so he could be there for his dying mother. But people who are so set in their views that they are incapable of even trying to see things through the eyes of someone other than theirs, actually I won't even say that makes them an idiot because people are the byproducts of their environment and genetics and if I met your cousin I would try to understand his views. But their are some people in this world that you can't change no matter how much you want to. I feel bad for your cousin but I am glad he has someone there who cares enough to at least try to set him straight.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Wow.. so being a conservative makes you a racist huh? Thanks.
Wow, that is not what I said at all. My cousin is actually a racist. He hates black people and europeans. If that isn't racist, then I don't know what is.

You have to remember, he's an extreme conservative. You may be conservative, fire2box, but you're peanuts compared to this guy.

It's difficult to argue an extremist if you don't know their points better then they do. You can rather ignore him, or you can start studying and testing out your debating skills.
That or we could let him loose on an iceflow :3
I don't want to debate him. I want him to shut up while at family gatherings.

Last edited:

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
So.... He's not even intelligent enough to be proved wrong?

Damn.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer, Private
At least he's only your cousin and not your brother or (god forbid) your dad. If your going to argue an extremist, you have to study up harder than you have for any test. otherwise he'll just shoot down any attempt with some simple uncommon, unknown, or untrue fact. and if you can call him out on his untrue or exadurated facts, you'll be able to get everyone else at the family gathering to at least tell him to shut up.

M

Mako

I don't want to debate him. I want him to shut up while at family gatherings.
Tends to be hard with someone so stuck up their ass already they're inconsiderate to other people to the level you've described. If you can't get everyone together to tell him to put a sock in it, cutting off their balls but still being calm and not letting them affect you personally can be the only way to shut some really ignorant people up. That, or ice flows.

Though he may die of head exploding rage, if the opposition coalition comes to fruition up here. Honestly I've never met an extremist conservative up here before, it's a lil weird to hear of one.

Role
Private
He's in love with America and everything about America.
Have him live here. And watch it go to shit. And have everything run by people on the take. It's not all it's cracked up to be, and we're just a small step away from Pol Pot (see my sig).

How do you argue with someone like this? It's so frustrating because he can't seen any reason at all. He's so blinded by his own beliefs... it's weird. He dropped out of highschool at grade 10, had a drinking problem, and he never had a stable family, so I guess those could be a few reasons he latched onto the extremeist american conservative viewpoint.
"Cousin, move there. Until you do, shut your face, otherwise I'll shut it for you with my boot."

In short, is there even a point to argue with him? I'm just so sick of listening to his crappy propaganda and racist viewpoints. It needs to end, and I want him to stop bringing it up at family gatherings.
No, there's no point. But the best thing you could do would be to buy him a one-way ticket to Southern California. Tell him to live there for six months and see what it's like. If that fails, see above.

Role
Diaper Lover
Uhh, I would go insane if I lived in California. I would almost move to Canada, btu then would realize that other states are much better.

Discussion of Homosexuality, or any sins, is crazy for multiple reasons, such as, 1. We don't KNOW if it is a sin or not. 2. Pedophilia isn't a sin, but acting on it possibly is, so is homosexuality the same? 3. Is what we do as straight people not a sin? To lust, is that not sin? It seems the best way to be religious, and in saying this it makes us look stupid, is to ask for forgiveness for whatever we may have done. Brome Teks is going to be all over that.

The US may be in the crapper, but gas prices are good, I am unemployed at my age, and I don't really have to pay for anything, with the possible exception of gas in the near future. This bothers me because I don't KNOW the real situation, I know the economy is crap, no one is buying, no one is investing, we are at a money flow standstill. But I have no idea how that effects the average person.

There is no way to fix your cousin, assumably, there is no way to shut him up either. The only solution to your problem is to avoid him, and avoid him well.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm going to suggest that "conservative" be not mixed up with "racist, homophobic dickhead."

The title of your thread runs the risk of insulting some of us open-minded forum-goers who have political views that, while potentially different from yours or those you support, are much more properly "conservative" than this idiotic crap your relative is spouting. What's happening is that your relative has not become/is not a "conservative." He's an extremist bigot who has no obviously good reasons to dislike the President Elect and cannot, for the life of him, express his dislikes in any ways but through hateful and insulting means. That's not "conservative"....

... that's dickhead.

The political views are not the focus here, because frankly, his political views are bullshit, because they're all based in hatred and misinformation. I'm "conservative"-minded in my belief in politics, but what he's saying is ignorant, fool-hardy bullshit, and I'd prefer not to be grouped in the same vein. Conservativism is certainly not what he's promoting, and I'm sorry that you have to deal with that kind of shit in a family setting. Unfortunately, we aren't given the chance to choose our relatives, but it's from the lives lived around us that we are given the recipe to how to live ours, and let your cousin's awful example be one that helps lead you in a good, safe, opposite-minded direction! :)

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
There's no point in arguing with people like that.
Lol..that was exactly my thought after I had read the first couple of lines of the original post. THere's no point in arguing with extremists - their opinion is pretty much set in stone. There isn't really any point in trying to convince him of your position either.

Peachy
(who's now trying to find the gayest outfit he has to conform to your cousin's image of a 'typical' European :tongueout: )

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Alcoholic? No stable relationships? Something tells me this problem will take care of itself in due time.

Anyways, there's no point in arguing with this kind of person, but great fun can be had mocking them. Usually they are stupid enough to fall into the trap of false agreement and ridicule.

Oh here's an idea! Convince him to pen his racist and bigoted thoughts in a blog, letters to the newspaper, pamphlets, etc... Then convince him to have the literature dropped off on Jane/Finch and Church/Wellesley in Toronto with his name on it. Eventually he'll be arrested for hate crimes/speech. It might not work mind you, unless he denounces the Jews too. But still, it would be... very interesting.

Oh oh! Another wild idea! Contact local black/gay support groups and organize an "intervention". At the very least, get him on their mailing lists. Sure he'll leave/cancel and yell/scream at them, but you never know if someone in those groups is a friend of his boss or something. Word gets around.

I guess my point is, if he's going to say racist and bigoted things, then everyone should hear it. Let things play out from there, and call it karma.

M

Mako

Right wingers, stop Bawwing over political correctness, you have your racist, intolerant hick stereotype, just as liberal have there ACLU bleeding heart liberal stereotype. He didn't say all conservatives were like that, but to deny it's a stereotype, and one upheld by many ignorant people is just stupid.
Irony is, your acting like stereotypical over-sensitive liberals.:laugh:

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
How do you argue with someone like this?
You don't.

Or just annoy the living hell out of him.

Try these :

1ST OPTION : INSANE LEFT WING MIX

I don't believe heterosexuality is right! It was a choice I made when I was born and I know that I shall burn in hell for it

I'm down with Nader

We really don't need these gun things. Or nations. Nations are evil! Down with America!

2ND OPTION : EVEN MORE INSANE ULTRA RIGHT THAN HIM

You don't have a problem with black people? They're all niggers! Burn them!

You sure your not jewish? [evil stare]

I'm down with Harold Covington

_____

P.S I don't actually support any of these views.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Yeah, fire2box for some reason thought I was generalising all conservatives.

Anyway, politicaly, he has the conservative viewpoint. But he's very extreme about it. Thus, extreme conservative. Just because you're conservative doesn't mean you share the same views as this guy.

Thanks, Rance. :smile:

Alcoholic? No stable relationships? Something tells me this problem will take care of itself in due time.

Anyways, there's no point in arguing with this kind of person, but great fun can be had mocking them. Usually they are stupid enough to fall into the trap of false agreement and ridicule.
I don't plan on mocking him either. Usualy extremeists of any type end up mocking themselves.

Anyway, I was just really pissed off when I posted this thread yesterday. He had been telling me and my family about his views on blacks, europeans, and gays for years. No one said anything to him. I got sick of it and took it a step further, and now I kind of wish I hadn't. Other than his racist/homophobic views, he's actualy a pretty nice guy.

I've just always wondered why he has to care about American politics so much.

I think this thread has served its purpose. Gonna ask for a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.