Serious question for you who are AB/DL but not incontinent.

sbmccue

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
HIPAA governs how you use and disclose someone's Protected Health Information, not how that information is provided to you by the patient.

As BabyTyrant notes, I doubt you'll have more than a few cases in which ABDLs presenting their diaper needs as medical necessities will be a problem. If you're willing to accept that and move on, great! If not, you'll likely be missing an opportunity to render a genuine service largely because you fear your efforts will be misused.

zenmaster35

Contributor
Role
Incontinent
HIPAA governs how you use and disclose someone's Protected Health Information, not how that information is provided to you by the patient.

As BabyTyrant notes, I doubt you'll have more than a few cases in which ABDLs presenting their diaper needs as medical necessities will be a problem. If you're willing to accept that and move on, great! If not, you'll likely be missing an opportunity to render a genuine service largely because you fear your efforts will be misused.
Would HIPPA allow me to get prescriptions from a recipent's doctor for diapers?

LstNwf

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
Sadly there are those out there who will try and take advantage of charity just because its 'easy' and they cant be arsed to actually do things the right way. It stems a lot from the culture of the world these days. The sense of entitlement in a lot of the worlds population is only increasing. I was at a thrift store one weekend and two guys drove up in a brand new SUV, walked in and bought a entire rack (I am not kidding, it was a wheeled shelf) of hockey themed mini lamps that were offloaded from somewhere (All new, had to be 100 of them) and they weren't shy about stating to everyone that they were going to sell them at their own store.

I can only echo a lot of the opinions in this thread and say that the only really way to work towards a less likely abused system is first and foremost to require proper referrals/notes/tests from medical practitioners which would obviously be kept on a (secure) file of the applicant. I use an example of a relation of mine and to get their parking permit they had to jump through hoops to get it and every few months are required to do follow up visits to their doctor. Does it stop all abuse? No sadly and as was mentioned, you'll get those who accuse someone of not needing something just by looking at them.

I hope your plans work out for you though. There are a lot of individuals who legit need services like that, but cant access them.

sbmccue

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Would HIPPA allow me to get prescriptions from a recipent's doctor for diapers?
HIPAA (not 'HIPPA') has little effect on writing or providing prescriptions. I would assume that, if you're recognized as a qualified provider, the doctor can write a script that the patient can then bring to you.

The main issue wherein HIPAA is brought to bear in the prescription world involves stolen patient charts which are mined for prescription data. The scripts are then written (either forged or written by unscrupulous physicians) and filled, then the drugs are sold on the street. HIPAA was enacted to stop the wholesale plundering of that information, but it's a 20th Century law applied to 21st Century healthcare and still hasn't stemmed the tide of patient information theft, largely because the theft still pays rather well.

Last edited:

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
There will always be people who will abuse the system. It happens in healthcare, charities, welfare, etc. I wouldn't feel comfortable getting "free" diapers and what if a doctor thought it was medical necessary to prescribe them to you because he saw your psychological needs as a medical need?

I wouldn't feel comfortable with it still but I wonder how many ABDLs would go along with it because lot of people seem to lack common sense. So they would think "A doctor thinks me getting them for free is fine so therefore this is okay and I am not abusing it."

extremecomfy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Sissy
Hello,

I am an incontinent individual who is hoping to start a non profit to increase access to high quality incontinence supplies but can't afford them. This includes special needs children who are incontinent and in diapers but their families make too much to qualify for mediciad, as well as incontiinent adults. I have nothing against the AB/DL community personally, as I myself used to identfiy as one. But, I have a concern. My concern is that if AB/DLS find out about the service I am trying to provide, they may try to get free premium diapers without actual medical need. Those of you who are both ab/dl and incotinent, this does not apply to you obviously. I would attempt to help any in need, if they were serious, and had an actual medical need. While I am aware that some may consider diapers as a real psycological need by AB/DLs, please understand that premium adult diapers are very expensive, and If i were to provide diaepers unwittingly to non incontinent abdls too often i wouldnt have enough funding and supplies to serve the genuinely incontinent.
So, i pose this question to those on this board assuming you feel equal to the task of answering for the ABDL community as a whole: Would abdls have the decorum and decency to not apply for an incontinence assistance program if they were not actually incontinent? Thank you for your time.
What you are suggesting is "FRAUD". We are not criminals! You'd be better to deal with your doctor about getting an exception to what your insurance provides. I did not know that ABDL styled diapers were better? We want what ABUNIVERSE.COM sells not NorthShore Supremes. You should get a Prior Authorization from your doctor so the insurance will pay for your supplies. We are not fraudsters.

PaddedBrony

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
I can kind of understand where the OP is coming from. I’ve spent time in homeless shelters before where those who needed incontinence supplies often had to make due with what was accessible to them, often low quality, store brand options.

I kind of look at the situation the same way I look at the possibility of free healthcare in the US: if it is medically necessary, and is determined as such by a doctor, then there should be access to it. For instance, I am a Type 1 Diabetic. It’s 100% genetic in my family, and was completely unpreventable. There is lifesaving medication I need every day that out of pocket is expensive, and I still need to pay for part of it even with insurance.

Getting back to the point, though, like others have said there will still be a number of individuals who will try to game or cheat the proposed system to their advantage, much like people do with welfare, unemployment, disability, etc. I think for such a system to work effectively, there would need to be a number of safeguards put into place to ensure that the right people are getting what they actually need.

I pity those and try to help those that actually need help. For those who try to cheat the system, I have no respect or time for them.

samsonboy14

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Try opening a medical supply store. Then you can donate diapers to those patients you find in need. That way you can still provide a service to those who wear diapers because they love them, but also give when you find a need.