Suggestion Searching the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

begard

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
This is maybe quite a biggy but the search function. The search box at the top of all the pages is pretty useless. It just seems to return pages at random.

Using an website constrained google search is much more reliable for actually finding what you want but less convenient.

I realise this involves some moderate structural work but hopefully it will also help people to workout what has already been said.

P

PaddedPuppy

Its not useless or random. However it doesn't just search the titles of threads. It searches every post on adisc and will return any thread containing the word(s) you searched for. I'm pretty sure if you go into any of the threads it takes you direct to the correct post and highlights the searched words.

Scaramouche

Lover of Life, Singer of Songs
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've used it many times and have been pretty successful. Like PaddedPuppy says, it will return a list of thread which have the word(s) in it you type. If you search for the word "diaper" you will be here all day, but if you search for diaper rash cream, it will narrow it down quite a bit.

begard

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
So searching: 'diaper rash cream '

gives:
1. This thread
2.Last Person to Post Wins !!!
3. YOUR Stash!
4. What diaper are you wearing right now?
5. If you could wish for anything what would be like a endless supply of diapers!
6.How long can you stay in your used diaper.
7. Is wearing diapers an addiction?
... and 264 results

Random is maybe a bit harsh I'm sure all these threads probably contain some of the words 'diaper' 'rash' and 'cream' but it would be better if the algorithm was more intelligent and actually directed people to the most likely to be helpful results first (Really last person to post wins? It's 12000 pages and The page it jumps to doesn't contain 'rash' or 'cream'. And is surely not that relevant.) Now for comparison google: 'diaper rash cream site:http://www.adisc.org' It returns the threads

1.Adult rash cream
2.Diaper Rash Creams
3.Nappy rash
4.I always seem to have a wet diaper,which leads to a rash, need help
5.Diaper rash treatments
6. I need some Question's answered about diaper rash
7. Diaper Rash? - Page 2
... (438 results)

Is that not so much more helpful? I'm glad to talk about it and have the debate but I currently stand firm behind my previous statement. It's not that good.:dunno:

WoodlandWanderer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
As has been said, the standard search just returns a list of all threads (and possibly blogs, groups, articles etc. too) that contain the keywords you specify, for a common word this is pretty useless. There should however be some text below the search box that says "advanced search" which is much more useful.

You can choose to only search thread titles, choose the type of content which you want to search, search by username, search by tag, search by date or some combination of those. If you restrict the search only to one content type (tab at the top) you get a lot more options. E.g. for posts you can choose to search only certain forums or threads with a certain number of replies.

What's available is actually quite advanced, better than using google, but you have to use it properly; people just assume the standard search box is all you get.
General tip for the internet: always look for and use the advanced search if it exists.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
We're never switching to Google for search, even if is provably better.

There are many reasons:
(1) Search is a core feature - it is too important to outsource to someone else.
(2) Google can't index much of the site (e.g: non-public forums) and thus is 100% useless for large amounts of our content.
(3) There are privacy issues. Do you want your searches on ADISC associated with your Gmail account?
(4) Google has no understanding of the types of content on our site. Want to search only thread titles with our search? You can. Want to do that with Google? You can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.