School system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I'm curious about education system, so
How the education system in your country is?

In Italy:
from 3 to 5 y.o. --> Kindergarten
from 6 to 10 y.o. --> Elementary School
from 11 to 13 y.o. --> Middle school (with final exam in 3rd class)
from 14 to 18 y.o. --> high school (with final exam in 5th class)
19 and over --> university.

how about your country?

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
In Australia it's like this:
5 or 6 years old you start primary school, it's years Kindergarten to year six. After that is high school, which is 7 - 12. There are 2 certificates you get here for all your hard work at school: the School Certificate (SC), which is done in year 10, and the Higher School Certificate (HSC), which is done in year 12. After that it's TAFE or uni if you want to be more edumacated.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Here in Canada it's similar to Australia.
3-4 year olds have 'pre-school'
5-6 year olds begin kindergarten or 'primary'
11 - 12 year olds go into middle school (grades 6-8)
14-15 year olds go into high school (grades 9 - 12)
after grade 12 you get a high school diploma and are eligible (for college or university...depending on your grades and what you studied in high school)
Unlike the British system, colleges in Canada are primarily trade schools offering diplomas leading to positions from automotive mechanic to funeral director from hair stylist to aircraft maintenance engineer and so much more, while universities offer degree programs in arts & sciences from bachelors to doctorates.
Clear as mud? I thought so!

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Age 4 you have reception class (or year one)
Then from that to Year 6 it's primary school.
Year 7 to Year 11 it's high school. (Finish at age 16).
This is when compulsory education ends.
Year 12 to 13 it's college. (College or sixth form, sixth forms are generally attached to a high school.)
And after that it's university.

They are thinking about making people stay in education until they're 18, which is a stupid idea (I'm not even going to say IMO, it actually is a stupid idea!). The biggest problem with high school is that the focus is on helping people who don't want to learn to learn! College is great because everyone there wants to work, and those who don't get kicked out.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
In my neck of the woods,(Southern U.S.) it's like this:

Daycare(optional, also known as Pre K) 1-4
Kindegarten- 5-6
middle school 7-12
Junior High- 12-14
High School 14-17
University/college 18+

Yawnie

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
after grade 12 you get a high school diploma and are eligible (for college or university...depending on your grades and what you studied in high school)
Unlike the British system, colleges in Canada are primarily trade schools offering diplomas leading to positions from automotive mechanic to funeral director from hair stylist to aircraft maintenance engineer and so much more, while universities offer degree programs in arts & sciences from bachelors to doctorates.
Not all places in Canada have middle schools, over here, it's pre-school (from 3-4 yrs old), public school (from 5-6 yrs old, or "grade 1" all the way up to grade 8 (12-13 yrs old), then secondary school (high school) from grade 9 to grade 12, and from then on, college or university, or nothing if you don't want to go on further in schooling after that....

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well where I am in Canada...

3-4 - JR/SR Kindergarten
5-13 - Elementary School
14-18- Secondary School
18+ - Post-Secondary School

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
*thinks* Nova Scotia may be small but at least it's progressive :p

Yawnie

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur

3-4 - JR/SR Kindergarten
5-13 - Elementary School
14-18- Secondary School
you and me are from the same province.....

Yawnie

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
True, you just worded two things differently. Preschool is Kindergarten... and Public School is Public OR Religious.
And to add even more cofusion, even though we are Canadian, we also have a couple elementary schools as well....

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Quebec
~5 Years Old: Kindergarten (Maternelle);
~6-11 Years Old: Elementary School (École Primaire) divided into three Cycles of two years;
~12-16 Years Old: Secondary School (École Secondaire) divided into two Cycles of respectively two and three years.

Then we have two to three years of CEGEP (Collège d'enseignement général et professionel (general and professional education college)).

THAT means we have ONE F*CKING MORE school year than ANY other province. BUT it's worth it because Quebec's education system is one of the best and diplomas from Quebec are recognized in most, if not all countries in the world. Plus, university usually lasts only three years for people who completed their CEGEP studies.

"Montreal has four universities and has a higher percentage of university students in its population than all other major North American cities."

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
:cool:

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Elementery School is Grade Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8... (That includes the Public/Religious, lol)

Also, here in the city Kindergartenrs go half a day, out in the county they go 3 full days out of 5, then 2 days out of 5, and rotate. It's odd.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Year 7 to Year 11 it's high school. (Finish at age 16).
This is when compulsory education ends.
Year 12 to 13 it's college. (College or sixth form, sixth forms are generally attached to a high school.)
And after that it's university.
School Years 7 to 11 are taught at SECONDARY schools, some school names have changed to be 'High School'. But I think that sucks, Whats was wrong with the old name, our system is different to the US. And it only adds to the confusion.

As for college, Anyone can goto college. But if you are under 18, the education is free! Otherwise they want your money. But you do get Colleges for those who have just done their GCSEs in year 10+11 and then you got the colleges for mature adults who just either sent their to be trained or want a better career through relevant certificates.

University for any age! Even if you are 16! Only if the university is willing to accept you though.

They are thinking about making people stay in education until they're 18, which is a stupid idea (I'm not even going to say IMO, it actually is a stupid idea!). The biggest problem with high school is that the focus is on helping people who don't want to learn to learn! College is great because everyone there wants to work, and those who don't get kicked out.
I Totally agree with you. Not only that, but going to college means you have some choice of what place you get educated at. so you basically go for the best college. Where as if it were compulsory, People would be more reluctant to stay on with the same school, or go where every other of their peers are going. And not really getting the seat at the better institute where possible.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
THAT means we have ONE F*CKING MORE school year than ANY other province. BUT it's worth it because Quebec's education system is one of the best and diplomas from Quebec are recognized in most, if not all countries in the world. Plus, university usually lasts only three years for people who completed their CEGEP studies.
Umm...you have 14 years of school? 'cause Nova Scotia has 13 and we only need 3 years of uni to graduate with a Bachelor degree.

"Montreal has four universities and has a higher percentage of university students in its population than all other major North American cities."
Ummm...Halifax only has a population (the entire HRM of about 300,000) and we have...lemme see
  • Dalhousie
  • St Mary's
  • Mt St Vincent
  • Kings College
  • NS College of Art & Design
(the country's first and oldest school of fine arts)
and I can't even begin to count the other community colleges (NSCC) and assorted private 'colleges' that abound in this fair city
*wonders what the percentage of post-secondary students in the population of HRM is*
Heck I'll go even further and include the entire province since we have a population of less than 1 million anyway (about 920,000 I believe)
  • Acadia
  • Université de Ste Anne
  • Cape Breton U
  • St Francis Xavier
Yes, you did read that right...there are 9 universities in a province with a total population of just over 900,000! (and that doesn't include privately funded institutions or NS Community Colleges)

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,

3-4 - JR/SR Kindergarten
5-13 - Elementary School
14-18- Secondary School
same here except grades 7-9 are junior high or middle school. It gets more complicated because one can do IB, or International Baccalaureate (in high school) which is considerably more advanced. I went to Britain after completing grade 10 and discovered I was more advanced than O level but not up to A level, so I repeated a year despite having pretty good academic scores. Then I returned to Canada with some A level under my belt... and discovered I was somewhat advanced for grade 12 but did not have university entrance. So I did grade 12, and again, repeated a lot of stuff, despite again having a reasonable o-levels (3 A's, 3B's, 2C's.) I got 2 scholarships and a bursary...
The point of this is that 1. the systems were different here & there and did not mesh; 2. raccoons lead very odd lifes. It is almost like I have a cloud of anomaly around me which makes the world I live in odd, beyond my own built-in oddness. Wherever I go it is like I turn the place into the island in Lost, or the village in The Prisoner.

PS whatever happened to grade 13 in Ontario?

Last edited:

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
"With access to six universities and twelve junior colleges in an 8 kilometer (5 mi) radius, Montreal, Québec (Canada) has the highest proportion of post-secondary students of all major cities in North America. This represents roughly 248,000 post-secondary students, one of the largest numbers in the world."

Better?

Vaultin

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Pennsylvania/Atlantic US

1-3 Daycare (Optional)
3-4 Preschool (Optional)
5-6 Kindergarten
6-11 Elementary
12-14 Middle
14-18 High School
18 - 22 College Bachelor's degree (Optional/Variable)
22- Death Master/Doctorate/Multiple degrees

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
"With access to six universities and twelve junior colleges in an 8 kilometer (5 mi) radius, Montreal, Québec (Canada) has the highest proportion of post-secondary students of all major cities in North America. This represents roughly 248,000 post-secondary students, one of the largest numbers in the world."

Better?
Okay, but what is the population of Montreal, hmmm? I believe it is somewhere in the vicinity of 3,326,510

Halifax (with a population of 372,679 or about 1/10 the population of Montreal) "is home to six highly regarded universities (5,262 graduate students and 25,534 undergraduate students enrolled)...Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) has three campuses in Greater Halifax and offers training to more than 10,000 full and part-time students....The Private Colleges Association of Nova Scotia (PCANS) represents over 14 leading colleges in the Halifax area, who are registered with the Department of Education...collectively trained over 3,000 students" (more than 43,796 post secondary students)

That is 11.75% of the population while Montreal's post-secondary student population is only 7.46% of the population *smiles sweetly*

Not to burst your bubble...just sayin'...*shrugs* Math dun lie!

I expect, as usual, no one bothered looking to the east coast of Canada (the Maritimes are always left out as if we are of no concern *sighs*)

Status
Not open for further replies.