Scents & Memories

pampers4U

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I had a weird thing that happened a couple days ago, it kind of messed with my head a little as I didn't expect anything near this to occur, def caught me off guard.
I was walking in a shared apartment basement to look at electrical stuff, while in the basement I noticed that each apartment had a little cage section for personal stuff, it was quite a big area as there were 15 apartments, as I entered the electrical area this scent hit me, it was like no other scent, it was obviously in an air freshener or floor cleaner, it had a sort of apple (but not sweet) scent to it and that immediately triggered a memory of being at my old neighbors house with my best friend when we were 5-6 yrs old playing in there living room.
I've also had other scent triggers that instantly brought me back to memories as a little boy, such as that heavy pampers smell when you walk past a babies room or root beer soda which reminds me of my parents bank, the lady would always give me root beer flavored lollipops.
Does anyone else have specific scent memories that caught them off guard?

Scent has the strongest association to memory, or so I have heard. I believe it though. I have had several scent triggers in my life. That is where I smell something and my mind rushes back to where I originally smelled it. Very powerful. Now if they could only get that scent back in plastic pants that they had when I was growing up... that would be heaven.

Yep, scent has huge ties to nostalgia, in fact, certain scents really do bring me back to a simpler time. For me, the smell of baby powder really triggers regression, just the slightest whiff of baby powder scent makes me want to diaper up and reminds me of carefree days, it even gives me goosebumps sometimes ☺ Another smell that triggers regression, warm milk... yes that has a smell. Whenever I set to nursing a baba, the rhythm and the smell sends me all the way back 😄

Of course, smell isn't the only trigger, sound and feel trigger nostalgia for me as well. The sound of a rattle or a chiming lullaby is instant regression for me too as well as the crinkle of a diaper :) As far as feel goes, being hugged close and the feel of a diaper against my skin as well as when it is pulled taut and taped up = instant regression too ☺

So yeah, while scent, feel and sound all trigger don't necessarily elicit specific memories in me, my body and mind deep down recognizes these sensations and as such, scent, feel and sound flood me with nostalgia and the desire to regress :)

Reactions: littlemoosey
I work as a teacher at the elementary school where I attended as a child and the first time I walked back in as an adult the smell blew me away. It smelled exactly like being in kindergarten again! I cant smell it most of the time but when I return from summer vacation every year I can smell it again. Its a great feeling :)

Reactions: littlemoosey and pampers4U
No, I can't say a smell has produced a strong memory. That's not to say I don't enjoy the fresh smell of flowers, a sizzling steak or baby powder, just that it doesn't produce any strong memories.

As soon as I read warm milk I could smell it and got that feeling.

I don't really need triggering but when I am with other friends they know just how easy it is through touch and taking to me in a certain way.

I remember once during university, I was walking through a garden area just after it had rained. The smell of damp ground, particularly bark chippings and the like, instantly made me think of childhood holidays when it had rained. In the UK at least we have these vacation resorts called ‘Centreparcs’ which are based in forest areas.

Wet cut grass on a hot Florida morning takes me back to early morning football practices in 90 + degree heat with incredible humidity. Oh the memories!

Poofybutt said:
Yep, scent has huge ties to nostalgia, in fact, certain scents really do bring me back to a simpler time...

Smells are transmitted more directly to the brain than other senses, which are processed by the thalamus. Smell information travels to the olfactory bulb, then on to the hippocampus -- the part of the brain responsible for "episodic memory" (remembering events, experiences, etc.). Apparently, it was the first sense to have evolved.

So, yep -- smell is well known to strongly evoke strong memories of past experiences.

Reactions: littlemoosey
Back