Satellite Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Well I may be getting satellite internet though EarthLink. There is a major downside. That being, Download Threshold - 200 mb in 24 hrs.

The only reason we are getting it out here is because I have not yet found and dsl or cable provides out here.

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
That cap sucks dude... My buddy Tim has satellite internet connection, and when he hits the cap, the internet becomes unavailable for 24 hours... ouch. But If you can live within that cap, I guess it's pretty cool. The latency is somewhat high if you were planning on gaming with it, but it browses the web pretty fast. :)

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
yeah I wish I could find something else out here

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I don't know how far " in the woods" you are, so this may not be a valid option. My Mom lives about 10-12 miles from a small city, outside of dsl and cable services, and she has a microwave link set up to an isp in town. It's a line of sight connection, so I don't think it would work well in hilly terrain (unless you are on top of the hill). If you are anywhere near a city/ town with a local isp, you might check into it.

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I don't know how far " in the woods" you are, so this may not be a valid option. My Mom lives about 10-12 miles from a small city, outside of dsl and cable services, and she has a microwave link set up to an isp in town. It's a line of sight connection, so I don't think it would work well in hilly terrain (unless you are on top of the hill). If you are anywhere near a city/ town with a local isp, you might check into it.
My best friend has a similar setup, though I don't think it's microwave, I think I did some research and found out it was high power 800Mhz range gear. It's not really LOS, and the throughput is decent for what it is. He's able to play WoW with decent latency, and run Ventrilo with low latency at the same time, so it can't be too bad I guess. He's out of range of cable companies, and DSL of course.

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Yeah, I have satellite, too, because that's all I can get where I live. It's not perfect, but it's better than dial-up. The company mine is through (Hughes) lifts the download cap late at night (I think it's from 2 am until 7 am now), so if I have to download anything, I set my download manager to do it then. You might want to check and see if yours has anything like that...

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Oh, I wonder if my friend knows that... I should tell him to look into that, it would definitely solve some serious problems, thanks for posting that information!

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Now that you mention it ( the 800mHz stuff) I think we have a provider that may use cell band, or Wi-Max to provide wireless internet in our city.

At least it's a possibility.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Hell, if you got a cell phone provider, get their 3G service with unlimited bandwidth. It's in reasonable price these days.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
yeah I have sprint and they have g3 but a friend of mine pays for the service.

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
My parents had Satellite internet for two years. It's not bad for browsing, but it's useless for online gaming. The pings are horrible, at best they would get 600ms, sometimes they would get 1800ms, which really sucked. A good internet connection should have under 100ms pings (lower the better). My parents had xplornet, it's a company in Canada, if I remember right it uses the same hardware and satellite as Wild Blue in the United States.

My parents could also download without any caps in place from around 2am-7am, like Elizabeth said. Xplornet seems to use a different download threshold than Earthlink. It's an hourly one. I think you could download 30MB an hour and then it would slow you down to a crawl for the rest of the hour, it never disconnected all together though and the threshold reset every hour.

Satellite is definitely better than dial up, but pretty much any other high speed internet connection is better than Satellite. So make very sure there is nothing else in your area like wireless internet for example before you sign up for satellite. Satellite is also more expensive than the average high speed internet connection.

A wireless internet tower went up near my parents place, so they switched to wireless in August this year. The pings are way better, they average 50-70ms. They can also now download whenever they want and it also works pretty good for online gaming and costs half as much as satellite did.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
What my my friend has next door is DSL High-Speed Internet

She lets me use it, but she is getting ready to lose it. I probably will end up with it

This is what the speed is.

Role
Diaper Lover
I know your pain. Sucks ass.

That is a great ass ping. Get whatever that is.

God damn EVDO/3G, massive ping, disconnects, it can be up to 1mbps, but goes up and down WAY too much, would be happier with a reliable 60-70kbps.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]I have satelite internet. The reliability is terrible and the speed is on the low side (1 meg) but it's the only thing I can get where I live (other than 56k)[/font]

Last edited:

diapernh

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
cellular broadband is $59.99 a month. Verizonwireless has a 5GB allowance for a month and you get ccharged if you go over

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
I'm stuck with Verizon wireless for quite some time... it works good and everything, but I can't deny that more download speed would be good. But hey, at least I can stream and stuff! :)

Try Comcast and WildBlue. They reach a lot of "out there" places. I would have either one of those now, but Comcast says "not without the bundle" and WildBlue is not serving my area at the moment due to high-volume requests because of the stupid hurricane we just got.

I want ATT U-Verse... but no, Houston only...

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I'm stuck with Verizon wireless for quite some time... it works good and everything, but I can't deny that more download speed would be good. But hey, at least I can stream and stuff! :)

Try Comcast and WildBlue. They reach a lot of "out there" places. I would have either one of those now, but Comcast says "not without the bundle" and WildBlue is not serving my area at the moment due to high-volume requests because of the stupid hurricane we just got.

I want ATT U-Verse... but no, Houston only...
[font="Calibri,Arial"]I'm in Ireland, none of these companies are there.[/font]

Status
Not open for further replies.