Some basic safety tips:
- Be skeptical. While mommies/daddies and awesome people do exist, scammers exist too. If a person/offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Don't immediately take your conversation off-site. The #1 technique of scammers is to try to get you to talk to them outside of ADISC, where our moderators can't see it and can't protect you.
- Don't send them pictures of yourself early on. Especially stuff you wouldn't normally share publicly. It is a bad sign if they even ask.
- Never send anyone money. If they ask you for money, its almost certainly a scam.
- ADISC is designed for conversation and support, not arranging meetups. If finding a local meetup is your goal, you should primarily be using other sites, most especially a search engine, to find them. There are tons of them out there. If someone quickly asks to meet you in person on here (or any other normal site) that's a red flag.
- The best way to meet new people is through people you already know. When dealing with someone totally new, where you have no connections in common, be more cautious.