Rydelin

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Alright, I don't have ADD or ADHD or any disability that keeps me from focusing. But, I want to focus MORE! If I took Rydelin or some other drug for more concentration, what would the outcome be? I want to be more concentrated on business and making money, I don't want to get distracted.
What would happen If I started taking it?

E

Error404

Don't.

Rydelin and Ritalin are both Cocaine and Speed based drugs. They ruin your appetite and cause migraines. They also don't help with things like insomnia and due to the base drugs, can get you addicted.

That and it can kill you if you don't actually need it.

Ritalin also increases your chances of heart disease/heart attacks. I expect Rydelin does the same.]

A simple change in diet and eating at the right times will help you focus alot better than any drugs will - Safer too.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=18301 said:
Ritalin is a risky drug. Taking this drug means having to take a dosage every four hours. Like any other medication, large doses can lead to addiction. At the end of the day, when the medication starts to wear off, mood swings occur and the sufferer becomes irritable. Side effects, which include insomnia, loss of appetite, stunted height, and irritability are brutal to the victim (Mann). Ritalin, if taken improperly, can increase a person's heartbeat and blood pressure. This can cause cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) and premature death.
I'd vote no, don't take it if you don't need it.

A

Asher

Hey diaperedteenager

1. No; do not take it. If you don't need it, don't take it. If you do not have ADD or ADHD, you would only get the side effects of the drug. You MIGHT be a little more focused, and when I say a little, I mean ONLY a little. It is not worth it at all.

2. If you want to be more concentrated on business and making money, then take a class about business and etc. Trying to make money and work on business is NOT a good reason to take Rydelin.

3. Why don't you get an internship? Practicing the art of business through jobs and internships will make it easier for you to adjust into the business world after you have graduated.

Just don't take Rydelin. It isn't a good drug to take if you don't have ADD or ADHD. My final question: Is making money and being successful so important to you that you would take a drug to make it better?

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Work to improve your physical lifestyle. Being fit helps you concentrate and think more clearly.

There is no easy magical cure for any of the ailments you've been posting about on this forum. You may just have to deal with it.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Hey diaperedteenager

1. No; do not take it. If you don't need it, don't take it. If you do not have ADD or ADHD, you would only get the side effects of the drug. You MIGHT be a little more focused, and when I say a little, I mean ONLY a little. It is not worth it at all.

2. If you want to be more concentrated on business and making money, then take a class about business and etc. Trying to make money and work on business is NOT a good reason to take Rydelin.

3. Why don't you get an internship? Practicing the art of business through jobs and internships will make it easier for you to adjust into the business world after you have graduated.

Just don't take Rydelin. It isn't a good drug to take if you don't have ADD or ADHD. My final question: Is making money and being successful so important to you that you would take a drug to make it better?

Yes, I believe that money and success is the most important thing on the earth

E

Error404

Then you're going to spend a very disappointing life.

I've had both. Would easily trade them for that occasional toasty warmth I get from a little praise of my parents or that pang of glee I get when I see my Elizabeth come online.

Medication = Bad idea for anything other than what's desperately NEEDED.

M

Mako

I don't advocate drug treatment for those who do have ADD or ADHD, except for the most extreme cases. But even then only as an aid to other treatments and not the solution.

So I certainly wouldn't advocate it for someone who doesn't need it, thats just dumb.

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I faced a similar problem once. I was taking GRE practice tests (like the SAT or ACT, but for grad school), and I noticed that my scores were getting killed by the questions involving reading passages. Upon reflection, it dawned on me that what I lacked was metacognition, which is to say that as I read, I wasn't concentrating hard enough, or evaluation my own understanding of what I'd just read.

So I figured it'd be worth the practice to read a few short passages and really focus on what I was reading. Best to start small--don't do this sort of thing all at once, and expect perfect concentration all the time. Just like lifting weights. For whatever set of reasons--maybe cartoons, videogames, and partying--my life didn't require me to focus much until then. I started 'focusing' a few paragraphs at a time, and it improved my score by two standard deviations (this was my second time taking the GRE).

In what way do you wish to increase concentration? Do you find it hard to concentrate given specific tasks? Try some 'metacognition' with some small tasks--constantly evaluating your own comprehension of what you've read/heard/seen/done. If your lack of concentration seems to be global, go talk to your doctor; apparently those drugs are helpful for some folks. Just be sure you don't try to take any of them without a doctor's approval.

A

Asher

Let me be the first to tell you that money is not the most important thing on the earth. Living in Las Vegas, I have seen and met people that believed the same thing. Oh how unwise they were. They were greedy, they did not understand how life worked. Many of the men and women I have met that believed money was the most important thing over the years (and keep in mind its only been 4 years that I have been meeting these kind of "people") have ended up more greedy, depressed, in jail, or dead.

Main point: Money is not happiness.

Wealth is like health: To live happily, you do need at least a little, and without it, life is miserable. But money is not everything.

There is so much more to life than money. But chances are that a person on an ADISC forum is going to change your mind on this. I gave you my two cents; that's all I got to say.

-Asher

Role
  1. Private
Let me be the first to tell you that money is not the most important thing on the earth. Living in Las Vegas, I have seen and met people that believed the same thing. Oh how unwise they were. They were greedy, they did not understand how life worked. Many of the men and women I have met that believed money was the most important thing over the years (and keep in mind its only been 4 years that I have been meeting these kind of "people") have ended up more greedy, depressed, in jail, or dead.

Main point: Money is not happiness.

Wealth is like health: To live happily, you do need at least a little, and without it, life is miserable. But money is not everything.

There is so much more to life than money. But chances are that a person on an ADISC forum is going to change your mind on this. I gave you my two cents; that's all I got to say.

-Asher

You were doing really well up until the end bit. You know, about the two cents.
:laugh:

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
You'd get high and the drug store would be busted for selling prescription drugs without prescription.

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
You are getting a great deal of good advice from your peers.

As both a school counselor and a parent of two ADD/ADHD sons, I was a huge proponent and advocate of natural (non-pharmaceutical) interventions for ADD/ADHD. Recent, consistent and persistent research has demonstrated that Rydelin has long term, significant negative health side effects. and is life threatening.

Even with a doctor's prescription - not all pharmaceuticals are desirable. Our culture promotes an unhealthy demand for easy drug based solutions that often further complicate problems due to interactions and negative side effects. Find natural means to address your current issues.

Role
  1. Private
You are getting a great deal of good advice from your peers.

As both a school counselor and a parent of two ADD/ADHD sons, I was a huge proponent and advocate of natural (non-pharmaceutical) interventions for ADD/ADHD. Recent, consistent and persistent research has demonstrated that Rydelin has long term, significant negative health side effects. and is life threatening.

Even with a doctor's prescription - not all pharmaceuticals are desirable. Our culture promotes an unhealthy demand for easy drug based solutions that often further complicate problems due to interactions and negative side effects. Find natural means to address your current issues.

So we're all on the same page, here is the 2007 FDA label for Ritalin (methylphenidate hydrochloride).

ADD/ADHD is a horribly sticky area where psychiatry, teaching, schooling, and parenting intersect and collide. Unfortunately, it appears that most "diagnoses" are given by teachers and everyone else plays along.

This is not to say that there are cases in which altered brain chemistry is present and needs treating. However, I think it'd be a safe bet to split this somewhere along the 95%-5% line.

Diapered Rabbit, it appears you gave your children attention, time, devotion, interest, and acted to guide them to and through their youth and young adulthood. This took, I am certain, oodles of time, effort, dedication, commitment, and focused attention on your behalf. My belief that these qualities and behaviors are being traded for a "faster and easier" approach - at the detriment of the child - is deeply upsetting and troubling to me. I would favor a mentor-mentee approach in most things (up to and including shamanistic healing and introspection) and this is an excellent example.

As I've indicated earlier, there are cases where use of Ritalin and other such drugs are warranted. However, in the absence of appropriate clinical interviews, examinations, and oversight, we are doing more harm than good to our youth.

Unfortunately and ultimately I believe that Ritalin will be examined through the lens of history as a "magic pill" that offered to fix poor, neglectful, or sloppy practice in the areas of teaching, parenting, and medicine. And this is not the kind of legacy that we should leave.

I've added appropriate tags; this should help guide others to this discussion.

Dude84

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I won't pretend to know the specifics of a drug which I believe, is rarely prescribed here anyway. However, logic dictates that restricted pharmaceuticals (such as those provided on a 'prescription only' basis) should be restricted to cases where it is believed that their use would be beneficial to the individual concerned, and that the use of such outweighs any potential risks involved.

There are always risks involved with drugs, even the variety that can be purchased without prescription. Generally, the more hyped/promoted drugs have even greater potential effects. Ibuprofen for example, which is available without prescription at the dose of 200mg here in the UK, can cause liver damage and swallowing-reflex impairments in susceptible individuals, or after prolonged use.

Back to prescription drugs, Lamotrigine commonly prescribed here as an anti-convulsant (and one which I am indeed prescribed, due to being in the unfortunate situation of living with convulsive epilepsy) has many listed side-effects. Personally, I only see the dehydration and occasional headache variety. Oddly enough, this drug is prescribed in some countries as a stimulant to alleviate concentration issues.

Returning from the angle I appear to have "drifted off" towards, why would you take such a risk? To repeat, all drugs have side-effects, and dependent on your own personal medical history, these may be more likely to manifest than in others. The whole concept behind seeking advice before taking such products resides around the necessity to ensure that anything you ingest is, safe for you to do so.

(My £0.02. No US dollar here. :p)

DHLA40

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I was prescribed Ritalin while I was in HS, and when I first started on the medication, it was a night-and-day difference in my level of focus, and attention control. Math finally made sense to me, and my teacher's lectures didn't seem like they were spoken in Charlie Brown's mother's dialect upon recollection. After about 60 days on the meds though, I noticed a negative side effect starting to surface. I couldn't keep myself from yawning, my eyes felt heavy and glassy, and my mouth was dry and sticky. During class, I found myself on the verge of dozing off on some occasions, but when I got to lunch, and went to my car for a smoke, I couldn't catch a power nap because I had this feeling like I wanted to do something, (but what?) go somewhere (but where?) just general listlessness, and lethargy was all I felt. The positive effects were gone from me within 2.5 months, and I voluntarily stopped taking the meds.

I don't know how you eat, or how active you are, but for me, improving my diet, especially watching my iron intake, made a good improvement in certain cognitive and social skills. Doing things to improve blood flow, like walking, biking, splitting wood with a maul, simple yard work, team sports, etc will help you by increasing the oxygen saturation in your blood, and the blood's flow through your vascular system, and to your brain. It didn't fix my ADD, but it got me through life after school, including trade school pretty well.

ajsco

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Ha ha, the irony of it. I've just finished watching a south park episode where they are all diagnosed with ADD and are on ritalin.

Status
Not open for further replies.