Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
It might be a good idea to make the rules actually viewable to people who aren't registered... You strongly advise that applying people read them before joining, but they can't do so until after they've registered, which seems rather silly.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i really think we're shooting ourselves in the foot by not making EVERYTHING viewable to people who haven't registered. in addition to attracting the wrong sorts of members, a closed forum vastly decreases our presence on google. i think it's really hurting this community that we have things set up that way.

...but i've ranted extensively about that before, and i usually just wind up feeling like i'm talking to myself. =/

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
You want the member and VIP areas to be opened to public?!?!? or am I misunderstanding you? I think the member and VIP areas are important as they give you the ability to say stuff in a way that not everyone in the whole wide world can see it.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
You want the member and VIP areas to be opened to public?!?!? or am I misunderstanding you? I think the member and VIP areas are important as they give you the ability to say stuff in a way that not everyone in the whole wide world can see it.
oops. no, i meant just the public forums. but right now they aren't really public because until you've registered and posted an introduction you're not allowed to view any posts. it's a stupid suicidal policy in my opinion.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I thought they were viewable? Isn't that why we have the privacy option for our accounts?

I think we should open all the public ones up for guests too, just don't allow them to post. So'long as we have the privacy option.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
The public forums *are* viewable for search engines, and guests who have not yet registered an account. Once you have viewed a certain number of threads, however, it forces you to register/login to continue viewing more.

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
It could just be a problem with my computer, but I wasn't able to view any of the public forums before I registered. They kept telling me I didn't have the permission to do that.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
The public forums *are* viewable for search engines, and guests who have not yet registered an account. Once you have viewed a certain number of threads, however, it forces you to register/login to continue viewing more.
try browsing the forums without signing in. they're totally unreadable to guests. and look at what the google spiders are doing in "who's online." mostly they're all just indexing the main page. some of them are viewing the unprotected user profiles. none of them are indexing threads. it's been that way for quite some time.

personally i think placing any restrictions on the ability of guests to view the public forums (such as forcing them to register and then to post) is harmful to the forums. it attracts creeps and scares away nice people.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
try browsing the forums without signing in. they're totally unreadable to guests. and look at what the google spiders are doing in "who's online." mostly they're all just indexing the main page. some of them are viewing the unprotected user profiles. none of them are indexing threads. it's been that way for quite some time.

personally i think placing any restrictions on the ability of guests to view the public forums (such as forcing them to register and then to post) is harmful to the forums. it attracts creeps and scares away nice people.
I just checked, and guests who aren't registered members of the site can read the forums just fine as guests.
You're getting that error because you're registered, and I have the site set to require registered people to stay logged in.

Don't believe me? I bet you're getting this error:
error said:
Sorry, but you must register or login to view this page.
Possibly with a (1) or a (2) on the end.
That is the "registered members can't browse as guests" error.

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
That was the exact error I was getting before I registered. With a (2), I believe.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I just checked, and guests who aren't registered members of the site can read the forums just fine as guests.
You're getting that error because you're registered, and I have the site set to require registered people to stay logged in.

Don't believe me? I bet you're getting this error:

Possibly with a (1) or a (2) on the end.
That is the "registered members can't browse as guests" error.
huh. who'd have thunk? that WAS the error i got.

of course that still doesn't explain why google isn't indexing any threads.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
of course that still doesn't explain why google isn't indexing any threads.
Because it was told not to? I think we had this discussion quite a while ago about not wanting our posts in Google's publicly searchable database!

Peachy

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Because it was told not to? I think we had this discussion quite a while ago about not wanting our posts in Google's publicly searchable database!

Peachy
i remember that. i can't remember if it was on the old site or the starting of the new one, but it started to put too much stress (and cost of bandwidth) on the server because google kept trying to cache the pages every few hours or so (if i'm wrong mods please correct me on this).

Role
Private
i remember that. i can't remember if it was on the old site or the starting of the new one, but it started to put too much stress (and cost of bandwidth) on the server because google kept trying to cache the pages every few hours or so (if i'm wrong mods please correct me on this).
I would imagine that was the case.

But still, I remember a few threads popping up or a few people complaining about how their information was available through Google's cache system. As Peachy mentioned, we have had this discussion before and I believe the outcome was not to allow Google to store data from the site.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
That was the exact error I was getting before I registered. With a (2), I believe.
I think you may have found a bug!
I'm fixing it now.

Peachy

Awhile ago this was changed to allow Google to store our posts, because search engines were hammering our site with requests. Not letting them cache content meant they kept downloading it over and over and over and over and over again.

E

Error404

I believe you can contact search engines regarding this, asking them NOT to index you or cache you for privacy.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Yea but we want to be visible on google.

E

Error404

Yeah, you can do that. Ask them only to index the home page and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.