• IBC

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other - Explain

Votes: 22 48.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
I love root beer and this question poped into my head yesterday.

What is best root beer?

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Dad's. (Could be Canada-only?)

Nah, actually you're completely right. They sold 12-pack boxes of them for like $2 at Grocery Outlet (a.k.a. Last Chance for groceries). That stuff was amazing!

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
There's a restaurant I've been to called Sweetwater Tavern. They make their own root beer and it's so yummy. I had a chance to have some from another restaurant called Gordon Biersch, but they were all out :sad:

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Locally we have Triple XXX root beer, which is awesome. But as far as major brands go, I'll have to say Barq's. It's also the only root beer I know that's caffeinated

cation

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Why don't I ever see Mug root beer around anymore? Is it just sold on the West Coast? I haven't seen Mug since I moved to NY. Barq's and A&W are good too but to me Mug was the best.

F

Falkio

Sparky's root beer from Knox Brewing Co. is really good. They are native to California and are small time, so I doubt they ship to many places. Great stuff if you ever come across it.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
My favorites are Thomas Kemper for straight drinking and Henry Weinhard's for floats and such. The former has a little harder edge and the latter smoother.

Role
  1. Private
I put A&W, but I really like anything that uses sugar versus High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) in it.

I really like the 4-packs of "float in a bottle" they have.

D

daria7483

Isn't IBC the company that sells it in glass bottles? If that's the case, then I'm voting for them, hands down. Root beer doesn't belong in a plastic bottle.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
The brews - Spike's Reviews and Ratings

I agree with this guy when he reviewed every rootbeer I tried so far. Aside for microbrew's of course.

So Henry wienhard's rootbeer is the best I ever tried. It's about 5 times smoother then Barq's (the 2nd best rootbeer I think) and has a great foam that last a LONG time.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
I wasn't entirely sure what root beer was, so I was going to make a joke about taking the square root of beer. I was really bored, so I stuck it into python.

Code:
>>> math.sqrt("beer")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: a float is required

And that made me giggle a bit :p

Seriously though, I don't really know what root beer is. Guess it's just an american thing. Is it anything like ginger beer? Or is it more like real beer?

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Seriously though, I don't really know what root beer is. Guess it's just an american thing. Is it anything like ginger beer? Or is it more like real beer?

It's dark and sweet, without caffeine. It's not like ginger beer (or at least not like the nearly undrinkable samples I've had). Nor like ginger ale (which I like a lot). Do you have cream soda? It's not unlike that, but darker and less vanilla. There's a fair range of flavor that still works as root beer. Central is the sweetness, the color, foam, and most frequently a bit of a bite (the last bit not in common with cream soda at all). It's not the sort of thing I drink when I'm thirsty, it's more something alone just for the taste or that it goes well with certain foods (burgers or pizza in my estimation).

kapi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I didnt even know such a thing exists.
Normal beer is too good around here for such stuff to exist I guess :))

S

secretdl26

The root beer from the Rock Bottom Brewery is amazing stuff.

Rich, dark, and really flavorful, not too syrupy.

Mmm, now I want to go get some.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
The best I've ever had was at a German restaurant on West Adams St. in Chicago - The Berghoff. They make both root beer and regular beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.