Right hand vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

NehFaasSinonKron

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
As the title says, are there any right hand drive enthusiasts on here from areas where left hands are the norm? The thread on manuals kinda sparked this, and made me wonder if I'm the only one.

Or as another question, has anyone driven a right hand drive vehicle (where left is norm) If so, was it an automatic or manual gearbox, and what did you think of it? Like it, hate it, or did you have the opportunity and say "no" because it was too weird or outside your comfort zone.

I'll throw my answer in to start, I have driven several, as I am a right hand enthusiast with a love for diesel wagons and manual transmissions, or better yet a performance diesel car. *I know this is odd coming from an American, for you sophisticated Europeans reading this, or my friends from the UK or down under. I always hear how I'm weird and part of a dying breed, especially here.* Anyway, that's my answer put short, looking forward to your responses! Cheers!

Unless your a mailman, it's uncommon around here. I've driven both left and right hand vehicles but never in the wrong way for the country I was in. Biggest problem with switching was the turn signal more than anything else. I spent a lot of time in Australia turning on the windshield wipers when making turns.

I have driven my golf car from the right seat even though the wheel and pedals are on the left :) Oddly, there's an icon on the dash that says not to do that.

I'm in the UK so asking about RHD manual cars is like asking if people breathe air or drink tea :smile1:

Hence why I said "In places where left hand drives are the norm." I'm jelly of the cool vehicles you guys have though...

NehFaasSinonKron said:
Hence why I said "In places where left hand drives are the norm." I'm jelly of the cool vehicles you guys have though...
When I get back to yard I will post a cabin picture of my Ford Focus TDCI UK spec and a 5speed manual diesel
But here’s a pic of my truck cab for you , a 2014 MAN TGX 6x2 semi 480hp 26t 12 speed auto changing ZF box
A7EE294F-3C52-46AC-90E5-5CE607AA4FF5.jpgimage.jpg

I'm just curious, but... why would you want to drive a vehicle with the driving seat on the "wrong side"?

tiny said:
I'm just curious, but... why would you want to drive a vehicle with the driving seat on the "wrong side"?
To show driving skill

Thousands of drivers cross the English channel everyday in every think from the smallest car to the largest truck. I have driven my RHD in Europe hundreds of times and think nothing of it. It is so common, it is seen as normal.

That seems kind of odd- xD I didn't know right-hand side cars were legal to drive in the U.S. unless they were mailmans. However I've seen a mailman driving right-hand in a left-hand side car.

sissybaby34 said:
Thousands of drivers cross the English channel everyday in every think from the smallest car to the largest truck. I have driven my RHD in Europe hundreds of times and think nothing of it. It is so common, it is seen as normal.

It does suck when you come to the toll booth and have to lean across though!

As for skill... aside from the "ambidextrous" achievement badge it's no harder to drive one than the other.

I'm in NZ, we drive on the left too (RHD). I've never driven on the wrong side of the road but have driven in the UK. Those narrow lanes are pretty sketchy! Especially with stone walls both sides... Worst part about driving in the UK is that your indicators are on the wrong side of the steering column so I was forever washing the windscreen.

Was quite fun, got upgraded to a manual diesel Peugot hatch with sports trim & 17" rims!

My current car is a JDM turbo Nissan, beat that :D

I reckon driving RHD makes more sense for right-handed people, as I can steer with my dominant hand & shift with my non-dominant.

KiwiBoi said:
I'm in NZ, we drive on the left too (RHD). I've never driven on the wrong side of the road but have driven in the UK. Those narrow lanes are pretty sketchy! Especially with stone walls both sides... Worst part about driving in the UK is that your indicators are on the wrong side of the steering column so I was forever washing the windscreen.

Was quite fun, got upgraded to a manual diesel Peugot hatch with sports trim & 17" rims!

My current car is a JDM turbo Nissan, beat that :D

I reckon driving RHD makes more sense for right-handed people, as I can steer with my dominant hand & shift with my non-dominant.

You think UK roads are hard in a car when they have stone walls both sides , try doing it in a 44t 60ft long Artic truck
As for the indicators , that's dictated by Europe :sad:

parcelboy2 said:
As for the indicators , that's dictated by Europe :sad:

I didn't know that - must be a recent thing as my collection have the indicators in different places. I thought it depended on the car company as they all have their own conventions.

RubberJin said:
I didn't know that - must be a recent thing as my collection have the indicators in different places. I thought it depended on the car company as they all have their own conventions.
Most models for sale in UK have stalk on L/H side
Ford, Honda,Iveco,Fiat ,Vauxhall MAN
Yes I've had cars and driven trucks with R/H side stalk but not in a long while as I'm a Ford man and drive the same make of truck at work MAN but our Merc's and Iveco's are the same as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back