Restart needed for this, restart needed for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other

It just gets so annoying after a while -.-
I'm a guy who is proud of his uptime. Who else finds it annoying that computers these days need a restart for everything?

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Just use atuomatic updates. Set the computer to do updates while your asleep and it won't get in the way.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
My computer never asks me to reboot when I install software or updates [shrug].

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Just use atuomatic updates. Set the computer to do updates while your asleep and it won't get in the way.
Never said it got in my way, but the fact that it actually needs to be rebooted.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I have a question!

This is something has always confused me, so lets set it straight now:

Why do people not shut down their computers?

Why do you want to leave it on? I don't understand it at all. :(

I couldn't care less about restarting... :p

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
You simply can choose NOT to restart when the computer asks you, and all the updates will be installed at next boot. That's what I usually do if I'm doing something important when the update message flashes up.

About switching off computers: I switch off mine at night because it's in the same space where I sleep and the noise would annoy me, otherwise during the day is usually on since I'm working on it and it allows me to receive in real time e-mails or other communications. When I'm away for more than some hours, it's obviously switched off.

Leaving computers on is generally better than switching them on and off 10 times a day, but of course it's pointless to leave them on 24/7 unless you're running some application like p2p that actually "uses" your computer also when you're not on it.

Expecially for PCs, however, it's "healthy" to reboot them sometimes, while I heard that Macs can go for years "suspending" the system instead of properly switching it off.

Role
Diaper Lover
I leave mine on for torrents, and I fold at home, trying to cure diseases.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Yeah, leaving it running 24/7 is stupid. Why should you be proud about how long you've had your computer on? Having it on all that time... GO OUTSIDE AND BREATHE FRESH AIR PPL and turn ur computer off once in a while :p

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I leave my computer on for torrents and due to GIMPS and some other services I have running.
And yea, it's annoying.

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I have a question!

This is something has always confused me, so lets set it straight now:

Why do people not shut down their computers?

Why do you want to leave it on? I don't understand it at all. :(

I couldn't care less about restarting... :p
It's hard on components. Especially server grade components.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I leave everything open on my computer, and like to be walk up to it, use it for 5min and leave again. During the summer I'll just put it into sleep mode so it doesn't heat my house up so much. In the winter, however, I leave it on all the time (makes a great heater for the my room with the terrible heating :D)

Behold, my uptime

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
rubbish. Turning your computer off every day does no harm to it :rolleyes:

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
It's pretty annoying to have to restart after every little update or installation. I use a laptop though, so I end up shutting mine off when I go to bed or leave the house. Probably saves a little bit of power anyway. If I used a desktop, then I'd probably leave it on more often, but probably not for weeks at a time.

baconbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
even when it says it dose it doesn't and it's not rebooted it's restarted.

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I just hate waiting for it to turn on. When I go to bed at night, I just put it in sleep mode so that the next day, all I have to do is press a button and it turns back on instantly. But if I start having problems or need to update something, then I'll restart it.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
I try to have a dedicated day to restart all my machines, usually Sunday, where most people won't be using my servers for much, so that things don't get too sluggish. Same with my computers I use for things such as Web and IM, usually once a week.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
I tend to restart my computer once a week too. It gets sluggish.

Lizzie

Est. Contributor
Role
I have a Mac and it never tells me I need to restart. I restart it if it's being slow and that usualy works and it takes about a minute and a half so doesn't really bug me

Role
Diaper Lover
My computer takes like 5 mins to boot and have all the on startup applications up so I can actually start stuff on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.