Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Good morning all...

I've been poking around lately... and I see a lot of user profile pages with no biographical or interest information filled out. I realise people put more of their info out in threads... but I don't think that it should be necessary to search a dozen or more threads to find out about a member's hobbies, likes, and dislikes... especially new members who post very little in their introduction threads and remain a largely unknown quantity for some time.

Is there any way that we can put emphasis on people filling their profiles out a little more? I mean you don't have to write a book in there... but a few lines about yourself would be nice.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I like that idea, though I admit myself that I havent checked my profile in a while. *goes and checks*

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
It would be nice but I don't think new members should be pressured or obligated into putting out more info more about themselves than they are comfortable with. A lot of people are uneasy about giving out even the little details and interests on the internet, there are a lot of young kids here, and people will fill out their profiles when they feel ready to do so after familiarizing themselves with the site. I think, if anything, making it mandatory to fill the profile publicly might put some people off getting involved and having it as optional seems the best fit. What really matters is how people act and what they say here, after all.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think we're fine as it is.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What really matters is how people act and what they say here, after all.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think we're fine as it is.

Good point! Alhough it can be a nice icebreaker, too (a profile, that is). I just filled mine out more. Didn't know I had so much space at my disposal.

Role
  1. Private
I've got my profile set to friends-only, and even then I really don't have much information in there (just ask some of those on my friends list!). I figure if people want to know something specifically, then they can PM me, catch me in the IRC chat or get in contact with me directly in some way. I just don't feel it necessary to give out trivial information about myself as it has no real impact on the interactions between myself and other users here.

So I guess with that said, I don't particularly care how much information people write about themselves in their profile, or lack thereof. I'm just two-sided like that; I'm not revealing trivial information about myself, so I don't have an interest in other people's own trivial information. The forums are only a kick-off point anyway for the larger picture. I've gotten to know people much better by chatting with them as opposed to scouring out minute details about their lives.

Besides, I don't think people should be forced to put the spotlight on themselves if they don't want to, even for something as small as a few scrappy details. Just by this site's nature, I can understand why people who post here would want to keep facts about themselves hidden, even if those facts are insignificant. It's as simple as not prying into other people's lives, which I definitely don't intend to make a habit of doing.

If you are keen on getting to know the people here on a more personal level, then instead of emphasising them to fill out their profiles a bit more, make an effort to get in contact with them, or emphasise them to get more involved with other features of this site. Even something as simple as a quick chat, replying to a blog entry or a PM with a question is a great starting point in getting to know someone... or at least getting to know them better than the superficial details they write about themselves.

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
  4. Private
I'm just throwing this out there. But I have noticed that alot of the people that get banned have very little profile information or only the bare minimum filled out. I won't talk to those people. Seriously guys, look at everyone who gets banned. None of them have anything filled out. To me that is a red flag unless they have been on the site awhile.

Role
  1. Private
I'm just throwing this out there. But I have noticed that alot of the people that get banned have very little profile information or only the bare minimum filled out. I won't talk to those people. Seriously guys, look at everyone who gets banned. None of them have anything filled out. To me that is a red flag unless they have been on the site awhile.

I think profiles get cleared when a user gets banned.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I have noticed that alot of the people that get banned have very little profile information or only the bare minimum filled out. I won't talk to those people.

You're not the only one...

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I can understand people wanting to restrict some of their information. But putting up that you like action movies, computer games, and long walks isn't going to hurt anything.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
You guys actually read user profiles? I usually don't. Anyway, I had a good bit filled out on the old site but when that died I didn't bother to fill it in again when I re-registered. I'm kind of apathetic about the idea of requiring people to fill out a bunch of fields.

Honestly, if people don't want to write anything useful, they don't. It's like how we require posts in the greetings forum and we end up with lots of "Hi, I'm tb14314312 and I like to wear diapers."

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
When I click on a profile, I just skim through it...I don't really care what they write...People that actually do have it filled out, have something like "I've been wearing for ___ year" or "I'm a TB looking for others" or something like that (With poorer grammar/spelling of course)...Forcing people to write something doesn't seem great though...The only things you can search are the first few things, and people do fill those out usually...

Lowie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Carer
Most are barely filled out but once and a while you come upon one that is filled out..

It's all up to the person really, I personally have mine filled out so people can know more about me, I see no problem with sharing really

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Well I think the forum makes people register after viewing a certain number of threads, so I bet a lot of people will be annoyed enough by that and forcing people to fill out a profile will be even more annoying, especially since all they want to do is get reading threads.

When people sign up they probably don't want to give out much information at first, and most people give very little information. The reason why most banned people have blank profiles is because:
-Some details are removed from banned user's profiles.
-Banned people get banned quickly, and most people have blank profiles when they sign up.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I don't think this is fair at all. We can't FORCE people to fill out their profiles. If that's the case, then Moo needs to fill his out, he's lacking.

Really guys - if all I want you to know about me is that my online name is 34543, so be it. It's MY choice to choose what information to share or not. We don't need to be personal with every member.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I'm against it really. As for the idea that people wish not to for various reasons.

As for banned memebrs, Most lurkers//non-banned members have no info in their profile either. Majority of the members that get banned are banned on the same day the sign up. So hardly any time to settle in really and think about fillings these things in.

So if you want to lower the number of bans, it isn't going to work! If people do want to fake their identities, they are going to put your typical Deeker stuff in most likely. Which, I am sure all of you don't want.

And the 15 thread max for Guests personally sucks. I mean, fair enough you can get round it. But that is not the point. Its that most people are guest as they wish not to have an account and even have their email address and DoB entered (which are both needed). They can't post or contact anybody. So they are hurting no body. If they enter this, the asking for other info is just taking the beeswax. I think it should be replaced with those Ad screens you get except with a "please sign up, click here to skip this". Or something that keeps them happy. I think they are ignored, as many guests don't really speak on here.

G

gamebaby

well im editing mine and i will open up more so read if you wana know more.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
You're absolutely right, because when newcomers join the forums, and post in the intro & greetings forum, some quite literally leave a greeting, and maybe some closure on what they would like to be called if we're lucky.

But I always say "could you post a little more about yourself, cos it's a great way to meet new people" - it kinda applies to the profiles too because there's those.... clicky bits!

Ya know... you click on let's say one of your hobbies and it gives you a list of everyone who has that as a hobby. I take it that's what you're gettin at?

Obviously not everyone is gonna do it, as some people are extremely self-preserved when it comes to releasing information about themselves over tinternet... mentioned much already... doesn't mean we shouldn't at least make a half-arsed attempt!?

I think now that you've brought it up, I think I'll try n be more persuasive to new members about filling in some details on their profile instead of pestering them to tell us about themselves in their intro thread... cos as it goes - threads like that just get buried under the new newcomers' threads, and never talked of again... Unless you're Kraiden.

So yeeees. Good shout, Darkfinn.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
I think I filled my profile out pretty completely here, and back on TBDL. As I've mentioned before, being in the older age range I felt being as open as I could be in my profile would help members feel more comfortable about me being here. It could help show I had no bad motives, but had legit reasons for joining. *Older man joining and being very hush-hush about himself = CREEPY!* At least that's how I thought it might be perceived.

With younger members I can understand why they would want to be more selective in how much info they put in their profile, unless they only make it viewable to members they consider trusted friends.

Have to admit, I don't believe I've ever read anyone's complete profile before. What I've come to know about different member's is what I've learned from their individual posts or profile/PM messages.

~Pramrider

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I'm glad to see so many of you have chimed in on this...

Perhaps "require" was a bit strong of a word to use... how about "request" instead.

I just see so many blank profiles and two-line intro threads... even many well-known members don't have much filled out... it gets kinda depressing. People are so willing to talk and share their views and beliefs in the threads... but then you click on their username to try and get a bit more background information only to find out their sex, generalized location, and sexual preference. It's like reading the second book in a series and not knowing where any of the characters came from.

I don't wanna know your street address, real name, or how many times you masturbate every day... but a bit of back-story would be nice... to explain things better and lend some more credibility to your postings.

Role
  1. Private
I just see so many blank profiles and two-line intro threads... even many well-known members don't have much filled out... it gets kinda depressing. People are so willing to talk and share their views and beliefs in the threads... but then you click on their username to try and get a bit more background information only to find out their sex, generalized location, and sexual preference. It's like reading the second book in a series and not knowing where any of the characters came from.

I don't wanna know your street address, real name, or how many times you masturbate every day... but a bit of back-story would be nice... to explain things better and lend some more credibility to your postings.

I'd rather judge someone here based on the views and beliefs they share, not what's in their profile. That's usually a better determinant to figure out what a person is really like. This isn't in the same boat as discrimination, but it's definitely in the same harbour. This place has shown me that people shouldn't be judged based on their demographic, as some of the youngest members here are amongst the most mature, and that some of the oldest members have been the most immature. "Profile information" eventually surfaces once people get into the swing of things and reveal the information in their posts, or in the chat.

It goes without saying too that people shouldn't have to give information about themselves for "credibility". I'd ask anyone to reconsider their views if they feel age, location, gender, sexuality, interests and/or preferences are a major determining factor in how they perceive someone here. I've got my profile set to friends-only, and for a long time before that it was set to VIPs only. Most people only have my age and location from my post-bit. Not that I'm intending to sound egotistical here, but I've [hopefully] gained the respect amongst a few people here and most of them really don't know much about me aside from my views and beliefs that I give in my posts. It would appear that I didn't have to reveal my basic information to harvest that respect, so understandably, you can see why I don't think other people need to reveal that information about themselves as well.

Maverick

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Although it's good to have a full profile in order to make friends, and so that people can get to know you, people should definitely not be forced to fill out their profile. It should be their choice to choose what they want to share with us. It would be very tyrannical, in my opinion, to force others to tell us about themselves. No way! Please don't enforce this!

Status
Not open for further replies.